Immersion files lawsuit, ITC complaint against Apple's haptic technology

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    tele1234 said:
    These lawsuits are getting a bit ridiculous. I'm sure eventually Apple will get sued for making the  Car with 4 wheels and a motor. 

Apple themselves is very guilty of this: For example, rounded corners, Click to call, the infamous 'realtime API' debacle, suing someone because they sued them... and of course, stealing the swipe-to-unlock feature then suing people who use it. 

Apple's a huge patent troll. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Apple tries to sue google over driverless cars.
    I doubt you'll ever see Apple suing Google over anything, nor Google ever suing Apple. 
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 22 of 29
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member
    These guys didn't just pop up overnight, they appear to have been working on this for a while.

CROSS-REFERENCES TO RELATED APPLICATION 

This application is a continuation of co-pending U.S. patent application Ser. No. 12/894,489, entitled "Method and Apparatus for Providing Tactile Sensations," which is a continuation of U.S. patent application Ser. No. 11/693,117, filed Mar. 29, 2007, now U.S. Pat. No. 7,808,488, issued Oct. 5, 2010, entitled "Method and Apparatus for Providing Tactile Sensations," which is a continuation of U.S. patent application Ser. No. 10/285,450 filed Nov. 1, 2002, now U.S. Pat. No. 7,336,260, issued Feb. 26, 2008, entitled "Method and Apparatus for Providing Tactile Sensations", which claims priority to U.S. Provisional Application No. 60/335,493, filed Nov. 1, 2001, and U.S. Provisional Application No. 60/399,883, filed Jul. 31, 2002, the entirety of all of which are hereby incorporated by reference.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 23 of 29
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member
    is suing Apple the new Americans national sport ?
  • Reply 24 of 29
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    Rayz2016 said:
    ksec said:
    In US Law system, do the side who loses the court had to pay for all the legal fees including defendant's lawyer's fees.
    No they don't, which is part of the problem. Thedr folk are hoping that Apple will settle rather than spend money on a court case. Of course they won't. 

In the UK, if you lose such a case then you have to pay the winner's legal fees. This is why we don't have a problem with frivolous lawsuits. 
    Well, if you score 10 out of 10 in every aspect of your claim or defence, you 'may' be awarded costs, but it's not automatic. 
  • Reply 25 of 29
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

I suspect there is plenty of prior artwork on this whole concept. Vibrators in phone and pages have been around a long time, and they have been programmable to feedback depending on the input, I know I have been able to customize the vibrator on my phone long before the iphone came out. I think some though they have a new great idea but it really was not. Also game controller have had feedback vibrators for a long time and flight simulators as well. Unless this company was the one who develop this technology for gaming and flight simulators I am not sure they have a solid case.

Just disregard me statement about prior artworks, looks like this company has been around a long time with their technology.

edited February 2016
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Apple has been granted a patent for Haptic Feedback in 2009. Don't you think they are using their patent?
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/02/19/apple-awarded-patent-for-more-accurate-haptic-feedback-system

• Reply 27 of 29
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member
    mactommy said:
    Apple has been granted a patent for Haptic Feedback in 2009. Don't you think they are using their patent?
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/02/19/apple-awarded-patent-for-more-accurate-haptic-feedback-system

What's your point?  As I mentioned above, the patent they are using is a continuation of a haptic-related patent granted a patent in 2008, that further built upon patent application filings from 2001/2002.
    edited February 2016 gatorguy
  • Reply 28 of 29
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    peteralt said:
    Why did they name AT&T in the suit?
    From reading the complaint, AT&T sells it.  So the question, what about Verizon, TMobile, Sprint, Bestbuy, and 1000's more world wide?
  • Reply 29 of 29
    These lawsuits are getting a bit ridiculous.