Apple plans new flagship store in central Stockholm -- report

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2016
Scandinavian consumers could soon have a landmark Apple Store to call their own, as the company is reportedly preparing to begin construction on a new flagship location in the Swedish capital city of Stockholm.

Apple Store, Stanford

While Apple is still navigating the intricate permitting and planning process, the company eventually hopes to build a destination store similar to the famous Fifth Avenue location in New York City. To help expedite the process, Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts has been personally involved in negotiations with city officials, according to Swedish daily Expressen.

The iPhone maker is thought to have its eye on a site -- now home to a TGI Friday's -- near the northern end of King's Garden in central Stockholm.

The plan reportedly calls for an all-glass facade through which pedestrians would be able to view the famous park. An amphitheater-style outdoor seating area with a fountain and cafe tables would be included.

Looking north, the new Apple Store would sit between the fountain and a major street behind the current one story TGI Friday's.

Apple is expected to officially unveil the Norman Foster-designed outlet next week with an exhibition at Stockholm's House of Culture.

Barring any setbacks, the company aims to open the new store within the next two years. There is no word yet on what would become of Apple's current Stockholm location in the T?by Centrum shopping mall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    This is excellent news.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Norman Foster is the business.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    TGI Friday? Sounds like a shady part of the town? Is that really the best location?
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Yup, sure sounds like a company that is doomed and slipping into irrelevancy. /s
  • Reply 5 of 19
    chelin74 said:
    TGI Friday? Sounds like a shady part of the town? Is that really the best location?

In which universe does a chain restaurant indicate a shady part of town?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    chelin74 said:

If this looks like a "shady part of town".......
  • Reply 7 of 19
    I've actually eaten at that TGI Friday's...  It is a nice area, quite active.  Not exactly where I would have expected them to go, but not a bad choice.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Curious to see what it will look like. Apple interior aesthetics and scandinavian design is a match made in heaven, the two already sharing some common ground (glass, white, walls, wooden surfaces, no-nonsense minimalism and utility). 
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Do not know this location, but a 7 hours drive from Copenhagen is a bit over the top. So not exactly a Scandinavian flagskib shop, but just another swedish Apple shop. Danes have nothing, we have shops like in India.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Curious to see what it will look like. Apple interior aesthetics and scandinavian design is a match made in heaven, the two already sharing some common ground (glass, white, walls, wooden surfaces, no-nonsense minimalism and utility). 
    I must note that Scandinavian design is mostly originated in Denmark for furniture, architecture, B&o and lighting, glass ware from Finland. Sweden is IKEA !
    cnocbui
  • Reply 11 of 19
    It is a good spot for an Apple flagship store. The park has some art galleries around it, while the street has high profile shops - foremost the NK department store. Which Greta Garbo shot one of her first film clips for, a cake advertisement in 1922. That building has also always been very busy, and if I have one misgiving it's about that - because people tend to eat more often than they buy Apple products. Still, great idea!
  • Reply 12 of 19
    chelin74 said:

In which universe does a chain restaurant indicate a shady part of town?
    Because TGI Friday is a shady restaurant chain like Pizza Hut, McDonals, Chillis etc. It is a low value brand nothing I would have expected Apple wanted associate with.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    I see a splash fountain and some maroon boxy building, not sure what you see?
    cali said:
    chelin74 said:

If this looks like a "shady part of town".......

• Reply 14 of 19
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Do not know this location, but a 7 hours drive from Copenhagen is a bit over the top. So not exactly a Scandinavian flagskib shop, but just another swedish Apple shop. Danes have nothing, we have shops like in India.
    Ireland and Denmark are getting similar treatment - no shop, but you can have a data centre.
    MickeyM
  • Reply 15 of 19
    I must note that Scandinavian design is mostly originated in Denmark for furniture, architecture, B&o and lighting, glass ware from Finland. Sweden is IKEA !
    I definately think Scandinavian design is well rooted across all the three countries you mention, MacMoffeDk.  But I wouldn't reduce Swedish design to only IKEA, just because it has the largest commercial value today.

Some well renowned Swedish designers and architects with world-wide exposés over the last century: Carl Malmsten, Ragnar Östberg, Gunnar Asplund, Carl Bergsten, Bruno Mathsson, Yngve Ekström. They carry quite some weight as design influencers, don't you think? So, I wouldn't say 6Sgoldfish is that far off. And neither is Apple in Stockholm.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    The place looked a little bit nicer when the old houses on that street still remained. This is Christmas Even 1969, where you see the restaurant "7 Centuries" in the building in question:

And in the summer of 1963:

edited February 2016 cnocbui
  • Reply 17 of 19
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Aren't there already Apple stores in Sweden?

How about opening a store or two in the Scandinavian countries that have ZERO Apple stores?

I don't believe that there are any Apple stores in Norway or Denmark. Not a single one.

How about making the Danish Apple store 100% out of lego?
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 18 of 19
    apple ][ said:

How about making the Danish Apple store 100% out of lego?
    I LOVE this idea!
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Ireland and Denmark are getting similar treatment - no shop, but you can have a data centre.
    If there is no one then new shop will help a lot to the users. What do you think?