Employees pan Tony Fadell-led Nest as poorly managed, fear-driven machine

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    bdkennedy said:
    Poor babies don't want to be yelled at. Leave.
    That is a pretty callous attitude. Not everyone is in a position to just pack up and leave a job that they are unhappy at. If you have a mortgage, kids, etc. you can't just say "take this job and shove it," as satisfying as that might be. Having worked in toxic environments before in general I agree that one should try to leave them, but the way out is not necessarily simple or quick for many people; particularly if they work in a field where employment is hard to come by. That a person is free to quit a job should never be used as a justification for abuse.
    palominemrboba1mac fan
  • Reply 42 of 58
    firelock said:
    bdkennedy said:
    That is a pretty callous attitude. Not everyone is in a position to just pack up and leave a job that they are unhappy at. If you have a mortgage, kids, etc. you can't just say "take this job and shove it," as satisfying as that might be. Having worked in toxic environments before in general I agree that one should try to leave them, but the way out is not necessarily simple or quick for many people; particularly if they work in a field where employment is hard to come by. That a person is free to quit a job should never be used as a justification for abuse.
    This is an article about Nest, not just any job. One may safely assume the employees working there are well paid.
  • Reply 43 of 58
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Goog employee advices to stay way from crappy nest stuff:

fastasleepargonaut
  • Reply 44 of 58
    To be fair to Tony Fadell (and personally I don't like him so much), I would imagine working with Steve Jobs is difficult also. If you want to create the best product, nice working environment is the least thing you'll worry about.

edited February 2016
  • Reply 45 of 58
    roxsocks said:
    I wonder if people are taking books about Steve Jobs as a guide to leading people in Silicon Valley. This isn't the first time I've seen a leader be ousted for behavior like this, and Tony is on his way out soon. What Steve Jobs accomplished worked for him and his personality. There's a lot more to leadership than shooting from the hip and telling people what you think. I'm always surprised how often the rise and fall of corporations, governments, kingdoms and civilizations depended on good interpersonal skills.
    If you have Netflix, check out "Print the Legend", a documentary about the rise of 3D printing.  At 1h 11m, an employee comments on the Steve Jobs biography doing a disservice to the technology industry because it gives people "permission to be assholes".
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 46 of 58
    macxpress said:
    bdkennedy said:

Constantly yelling at someone doesn't result in better work. If anything, it results in less work because it will eventually get to the point where you just don't give a shit because you're going to get yelled at anyways. Its no way to run a company (or a division of a company). How would you like it if your boss came in screaming and yelling every day at you? How would you feel about working there? How would you feel for others around you who are getting yelled at? As others have said, sounds like he's trying to be a Steve Jobs and thinking yelling gets work done, when in fact its the opposite. 

Perhaps that poster is a manager who treats his employees like you describe.  Not because he thinks it gets results, but because he enjoys it as some form of asserting dominance over people.  Just like the stats about victims of child abuse growing up to become child abusers themselves, there are people who become managers feeling that they need to get payback for all the shit that they had to deal with, or that they need to compensate for their own inadequacies by taking it out on everyone around them.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 47 of 58
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Funny how what was once the darling of the Apple Store is now shunned and mocked post-Google acquisition. Does anyone really think Tony just woke up one morning after the Alphabet buy and decided to be an abusive control freak?

Yes when a story like this come out I wonder if its because of rivals trying to sour his reputation.    Maybe friends of Cook are trying to sabotage someone the B.O.D. of Apple may see a possible CEO to replace Cook considering how far down the stock has fallen recently.   Ultimately Cook is neither a product person or Software person - not the type of leader to produce insanely great products. 
  • Reply 48 of 58
    another company/product in shambles after Google bought them...
  • Reply 49 of 58
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,342member
    k2kw said:
    Funny how what was once the darling of the Apple Store is now shunned and mocked post-Google acquisition. Does anyone really think Tony just woke up one morning after the Alphabet buy and decided to be an abusive control freak?

Yes when a story like this come out I wonder if its because of rivals trying to sour his reputation.    Maybe friends of Cook are trying to sabotage someone the B.O.D. of Apple may see a possible CEO to replace Cook considering how far down the stock has fallen recently.   Ultimately Cook is neither a product person or Software person - not the type of leader to produce insanely great products. 
    So, your argument to support Tony is to create a conspiracy theory involving friends of Tim Cook, attempting to sabotage Tony's chances of becoming a replacement for Tim, because you don't like Tim as a leader or innovator?

Tony isn't on any shortlist for a CEO of anything; his record with Nest is weak specifically because he hasn't created any "insanely" great product since he joined Google, and the thermostat is looking to have stalled in the market. Tony is damaged goods.

Edit: Honeywell's Lyric is now HomeKit compatible as is the EcoBee3, which itself is getting rave reviews for its ability to support sensors in individual areas.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 50 of 58
    I see this article pointing the finger at Tony - but he does have a boss. A bad one who sucks to work for. Google. They are to blame for everything.
  • Reply 51 of 58
    Funny how he said "Scott got what he deserved", all this talk of Scott Forestall being a bully, may be more a clash of personalities and/or egos. I would like to see Scott back.
  • Reply 52 of 58
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    roxsocks said:
    I wonder if people are taking books about Steve Jobs as a guide to leading people in Silicon Valley. This isn't the first time I've seen a leader be ousted for behavior like this, and Tony is on his way out soon. What Steve Jobs accomplished worked for him and his personality. There's a lot more to leadership than shooting from the hip and telling people what you think. I'm always surprised how often the rise and fall of corporations, governments, kingdoms and civilizations depended on good interpersonal skills.
    I suspect you are on to something. Jobs was a successful person that happened to be an ass (so we are told). He wasn't successful because he was an ass.
    argonaut
  • Reply 53 of 58
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    zoetmb said:

Even though the Nest had a nice design, I always thought the concept was flawed.   If you can remote control the thermostat, you're going to tend to heat up or cool down the house before you get home.   This is going to use more energy, not less if one would have ordinarily adjusted the thermostat so that it was using less energy before one left.   Only in the case where people kept the house at a comfortable level even when they weren't home would a Nest device save energy.

I always thought I must have been the crazy one because I thought I was in the minority for thinking the same.  When you adjust the thermostat up or down and then bump it back at a set time you're not only changing the air temperature but you also have to absorb the temperature of the walls.  Granted insulation plays a big part in that but if you have good insulation to start with you aren't losing much in the first place and a toy like such as the Nest isn't needed.

I listen to several tech broadcasts where they love products like the Nest.  With that said they all seem to live in a bubble counter to the real world, and god forbid you disagree with their way of looking at something.
  • Reply 54 of 58
    maestro64 said:
    now you know why Apple got rid of him, he was trying to be a steve wanabe and failed at, but then again steve failed many times at first to get people to see it his way. But a Nest is not a great product and as people use it more and more I am hearing it not as good as people thought it would be
    Who was Fadell's manager when he worked at Apple?  If it turns out that his manager was also a loud-mouthed abusive prick, then it would explain some things.  Unfortunately some people choose payback over the chance to do things right and make things better.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 55 of 58
    maestro64 said:
    now you know why Apple got rid of him, he was trying to be a steve wanabe and failed at, but then again steve failed many times at first to get people to see it his way. But a Nest is not a great product and as people use it more and more I am hearing it not as good as people thought it would be

sounds like someone has a personal axe to grind and just doing a character assassination. Bunch of west coast pansies. Shut up and do your job. Pussy. 
  • Reply 56 of 58
    firelock said:
    This is an article about Nest, not just any job. One may safely assume the employees working there are well paid.
    What does that have to do with anything? Just because they make a lot of money, that gives someone else the right to abuse them? That's utter bullshit.
    Blaster
  • Reply 57 of 58
    Interesting, well that explains why Dropcam is going downhill and the new Nest app is completely terrible, and all they do is take away features.