Judge orders Apple to access iPhone belonging to San Bernardino shooter [u]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 102
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    lostkiwi said:
    apple ][ said:
    Was that an advantage for the terrorist, because it seems that if the terrorist had used a newer model iPhone and if they had used Touch ID, then the FBI possibly wouldn't be pulling their hair out for months on end trying to get into the phone?
    TouchID only works on live fingers. 
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/16/why-a-disembodied-finger-cant-be-used-to-unlock-the-touch-id-se/
    Interesting. I didn't know that. That's good to know! I use Touch ID on all of my devices that have it, and now I can truly feel secure! :#
  • Reply 42 of 102
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    kkerst said:
    I don't work in law enforcement but don't you think the terrorists connected with these dudes already destroyed their phone and have new numbers by now? I suppose the Feds are looking for all shreds of evidence.

Assuming they finally unlock the phone and get phone records/iMessage history and the like it will be too little too late. I guess they can get lucky.
    Phone records and message history would be available from the carrier. Something as simple as a contacts list?
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 43 of 102
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    Prosecutors alleged in their filing that Farook may have disabled the iCloud data feature to hide evidence. Although investigators have been able to obtain several backup versions of Farook's iCloud data, the most recent version they've been able to access dates from about a month and a half before the shooting. They said this showed Farook "may have disabled the feature to hide evidence."

So if you don't use iCloud for backups, what are you hiding? 
    :p 

I bet there will be a gag order preventing Apple or anyone else from describing exactly what kind of technical assistance was rendered, and whether or not it was successful.
  • Reply 44 of 102
    civaciva Posts: 78member
    It bothers me that no one is questioning the narrative of the so called "terrorists" (too many questions in both the event, how they were found – Handcuffed and dead, face down, in the back of an suv that had been shot up, described by their attorney on CNN, then immediately buried), or that the receptionist that survived described two athletic men in black BDU's, not a man and a woman. 

But, let's look beyond that, and look at what was described as how the encryption system actually works. 

Screw the the judge that's been directed to make this a national case against apple, at the behest of an fbi director that can't get over an encryption system that he can't get past. It's essentially physically impossible for Apple to get past the encryption. 
    numenorean
  • Reply 45 of 102
    civaciva Posts: 78member
    And, the red flag should have been the demand for software to defeat the encryption. 

This is very J Edgar Hoover, wanting to know everybody's secrets. 

cnocbui
  • Reply 46 of 102
    apple ][ said:
    The phone in this case is the iPhone 5c. It has no Touch ID hardware.
    Was that an advantage for the terrorist, because it seems that if the terrorist had used a newer model iPhone and if they had used Touch ID, then the FBI possibly wouldn't be pulling their hair out for months on end trying to get into the phone?
    Possibly. With TouchID all you need is the dead body.
    And about reinstating waterboarding I think that can be dangerous because, at best, its efficacy is not 100% proven and at worst, it's not effective.
  • Reply 47 of 102
    Why are the "terrorists" driving with their Hazard Lights on?? Why should Apple be forced to support this nonsense??
  • Reply 48 of 102
    jfc1138 said:
    kkerst said:
    I don't work in law enforcement but don't you think the terrorists connected with these dudes already destroyed their phone and have new numbers by now? I suppose the Feds are looking for all shreds of evidence.

Assuming they finally unlock the phone and get phone records/iMessage history and the like it will be too little too late. I guess they can get lucky.
    Phone records and message history would be available from the carrier. Something as simple as a contacts list?
    Carriers do not have access to the text of actual messages. Just the logs of the calls and messages. 
    jfc1138
  • Reply 49 of 102

linkman said:

IanMC2 said:
    First, waterboard doesnt work and that was proven many years ago. Those terrorists, just like those russian spies during Soviet era, are trained to withstand any type of torture, and second, those people who carried out the attacks were shot on site by the police. Maybe if the police had tranquillizer guns and shot darts to put them to sleep rather than kill them they would still be alive and could be interrogated. But then again,if they kill ordinary americans without any reason, I can't really imagine with those terrorists being anything different.
    Care to provide sources on how torture doesn't work? Granted, it's not reliable but let's assume they were alive and still subject to torture -- do you think they were anywhere close to being highly trained in resisting it? Verification of a truthful or fake passcode would be easy and immediate. Also, would you like to have been a member of the police firing tranquilizer darts against two subjects firing semi automatic rifle bullets at you? Just to note: tranquilizers don't act instantaneously like they do in most movies.
    There are no consensus over waterboarding efficacy. I do believe it doesnt work because people can be trained to withstand it.
    And tranquilizers are just another non lethal way of stopping them. I get it, they were very dangerous. The thing is, they were more valuable alive than dead.
  • Reply 50 of 102
    IanMC2 said:
    apple ][ said:
    Possibly. With TouchID all you need is the dead body.

According to the link that lostkiwi posted, that wouldn't work.
  • Reply 51 of 102
    "The passcode is entangled with the device’s UID, so brute-force attempts must be performed on the device under attack. A large iteration count is used to make each attempt slower. The iteration count is calibrated so that one attempt takes approximately 80 milliseconds. This means it would take more than 51⁄2 years to try all combinations of a six-character alphanumeric passcode with lowercase letters and numbers."

"Additionally, data that is saved to the file system by the Secure Enclave is encrypted with a key entangled with the UID and an anti-replay counter."

–  iOS Security White Paper, Apple Inc.

In short, no, you can't just software your way around this - it was designed with brute forcing vectors already in mind.
  • Reply 52 of 102
    And a 4 digit passcode in an older phone? A phone without a secure enclave and an a6 chip?
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 53 of 102
    jfc1138 said:
    kkerst said:

iMessages aren't available from the carrier. They could have notes, photos, etc on the phone the carrier can't access. 
    jfc1138
  • Reply 54 of 102
    After seeing what the IRS can do over the past several years, I really have no doubt that Apple is going to win this one. They have the money to fight it, and that's one of the reasons they have the money to fight it.
  • Reply 55 of 102
    Appointed doesn't mean the judge isn't a buffoon or an ignoranus.  He's compliant and likely inclined to more of a political career.  Technology and reality are irrelevant to a greedy careerist.
  • Reply 56 of 102
    Dude. They already found the murderers. Who are dead. Case closed. Woof!
  • Reply 57 of 102
    I'm assuming this phone does not have Touch ID?  Otherwise couldn't they just press the dead dudes finger on it to unlock it?  
  • Reply 58 of 102
    Plus one alive who helped them. So why couldn't there be others? Answer: there easily could be. 
  • Reply 59 of 102
    Encryption sounds nice until ISIS sympathizers shoot up 150 kindergarteners. I'm sure that day is coming. Maybe if it happens in Silicon Valley they'll have a change of heart. 
  • Reply 60 of 102
    jfc1138 said:
    Plus one alive who helped them. So why couldn't there be others? Answer: there easily could be. 
    Millions.