Tim Cook calls FBI backdoor demand 'dangerous,' vows to fight case

Comments

• Reply 101 of 153
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    apple ][ said:
    wmfork said:
    Apple is really in an indefensible position here. 
    I don't have any issue with Apple helping to hack into this one particular iPhone as a one time thing. If that is at all possible, then Apple should help in my opinion.

But giving the Govt some sort of Master key which can be used to unlock any iPhone, belonging to anybody, is not a good idea, and I am against that. 
    Absolutely. Give the phone over to Apple, with accompanying FBI types for "chain of custody" of the evidence and then let Apple try, emphasis, TRY, to open it to access. IF that's accomplished the phone get's handed back to the FBI overseers to scurry back to Hooverville. NO masterkey to every iPhone on the planet. handed to the good folks at FBI etc. (and you know it would get shared).
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 102 of 153
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    apple ][ said:
    jfc1138 said:
    Not Great Britain: they're considering doing a mandatory backdoor law at the moment.
    Apple is and will always remain an American company based in the US.

For all of the things that are wrong with the US, things are much worse in Europe. Can you imagine Apple being in Europe and being controlled by the corrupt EU fascists? :#

Never gonna happen.
    That's why I responded to that post as the OP was suggesting a move to Europe as the solution to this sort of government intrusion.
  • Reply 103 of 153
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    postman said:

If Apple were to lose this case, then say goodbye to your personal data forever, because once a so-called "back-door" is created – any hacker will have access to all your personal information. Fact: No gov't agency has ever been able to protect digital data from being hacked – including the Pentagon and White House. If they get an "encryption key", so will any serious hacker out there. They always do. And by setting a precedent, expect other governments in other countries to demand the exact same thing for any reason they feel like.

To give government law enforcement agencies whatever they want with no legal protection for individual personal privacy is by definition a police state.

Once there's a Backdoor. That key is being passed around to who knows who in the Government. Which means anyone who really wants it including criminals can easily get it. Once U.S. has backdoor access. Other countries like China, UK, whoever will request the backdoor access also. They'll be spying on all of us also. There goes any and all personal Data you have to anyone who wants it. The U.S. Government can't even protect it's self from being hacked!!!
  • Reply 104 of 153
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    apple ][ said:
    I'm with Tim Cook & Apple on this one!

I appreciate that my iOS devices are very secure, and I'd rather not see Apple being forced by the govt to create weaker and compromised versions of iOS on purpose, something that would affect hundreds of millions of customers.

The authorities and the administration should have just done their jobs better and those terrorists could have been caught before they carried out their act of workplace violence. Red flags were everywhere. 
    The problem is these people shouldn't have even been allowed in this country in the first place!!! If they weren't here, it would have never happened.
  • Reply 105 of 153
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    jfc1138 said:

That's why I responded to that post as the OP was suggesting a move to Europe as the solution to this sort of government intrusion.
    Indeed. That is no solution at all. 
  • Reply 106 of 153
    The people arguing about terrorism in this case are missing the point of the debate, which is this: 

Strong encryption = everyone has privacy.
    Weak encryption = no one has privacy.

There is no magic scheme where only the good guys have privacy and the bad guys don't. Any back door or flaw in a security scheme weakens the whole thing. If the FBI can hack something, so can your enemies. Privacy and encryption are blind to value judgments.

Put differently, if this story had been about how flawed iOS security was because the FBI was able to easily crack it, the forums would not be filled with praise for Apple for "fighting terrorism" with weak encryption. People would be accusing Apple of helping build a police state.
    edited February 2016 kibitzerhlee1169argonaut
  • Reply 107 of 153
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Hey, FBI - I'll show you my iPhone if you show me yours. You can have a backdoor to mine if I can have a backdoor to Director Comey's. I'm just as trustworthy as he is.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 108 of 153
    jbdragon said:
    apple ][ said:

I appreciate that my iOS devices are very secure, and I'd rather not see Apple being forced by the govt to create weaker and compromised versions of iOS on purpose, something that would affect hundreds of millions of customers.

The authorities and the administration should have just done their jobs better and those terrorists could have been caught before they carried out their act of workplace violence. Red flags were everywhere. 
    The problem is these people shouldn't have even been allowed in this country in the first place!!! If they weren't here, it would have never happened.
    Yes, exactly! People are talking about security & encryption? That's kind of besides the point, because they shouldn't have been here in the first place.

It is the policies of the US that imported those terrorists. There was no vetting going on at all, and that is the fault of the people who make and enforce the rules. Their idiotic and unsafe policies are what contributed to the attack.
  • Reply 109 of 153

Put differently, if this story had been about how flawed iOS security was because the FBI was able to easily crack it, the forums would not be filled with praise for Apple for "fighting terrorism" with weak encryption. People would be accusing Apple of helping build a police state.
    Agreed.
    jony0
  • Reply 110 of 153
    eightzero said:
    You can't take source code using eminent domain. The purpose of eminent domain is to seize property for public use. The court is overstepping their legal bounds with this case. I fail to see how a judge can order a private company to essentially become unwilling participants in surveillance research and development. 
    I think you are wrong. Source code is clearly "property" within the meaning of the constitution. And there is a public use here: a criminal investigation and national security.

Do not underestimate the power of the government. Apple has assets and property because the government allows it.
    I disagree. The Fifth Amendment says "nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.” I fail to see how source code could be applied for public use. A criminal investigation is not public use. 
    hlee1169
  • Reply 111 of 153
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    jbdragon said:
    apple ][ said:

So it's iPhone spying or rounding up those damn foreigners. Sounds as if you favor a police state either way.
  • Reply 112 of 153
    postman said:

If Apple were to lose this case, then say goodbye to your personal data forever, because once a so-called "back-door" is created – any hacker will have access to all your personal information. Fact: No gov't agency has ever been able to protect digital data from being hacked – including the Pentagon and White House. If they get an "encryption key", so will any serious hacker out there. They always do. And by setting a precedent, expect other governments in other countries to demand the exact same thing for any reason they feel like.

To give government law enforcement agencies whatever they want with no legal protection for individual personal privacy is by definition a police state.

Then why didn't all this 'hacking' take place pre-encryption? 
    It's been happening all along... Target, Ashley Madison...
    suddenly newton
  • Reply 113 of 153
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member
    designr said:
    metrix said:
    Will the FBI force people at GUNPOINT to produce code to open the iPhone?

Well at least would lay bare the real nature of the order.

They would never need to. Simply publish the source code online, and invite applicants to apply for a short term reward in the form of cash or a job.

But the government has unapologetically waterboarded people to get what they want. Don't say it can't happen here. 

The discussion will ultimately progress to which is feared more: the terrorists or the government. A Hobson's choice if ever there was one.
  • Reply 114 of 153
    gatorguy said:
    spheric said:
    Apple would create and authorise an alternate version of the OS that would allow access through a method (brute-forcing) that is currently explicitly blocked as a security measure. 

While not directly handing over user data, that would definitely allow access to the contents of a phone via methods that need to be specifically created for that purpose. That is a "backdoor", by definition. 
    It's not at all a backdoor. It's instead a different OS version that only Apple can install. The one on your iPhone remains essentially hack-proof with no "backdoor" as far as any of us know. 
    The order is for Apple to create the software and give it to the government. It's not for Apple to decrypt the phone privately and give it back to the FBI.
  • Reply 115 of 153
    kibitzer said:
    jbdragon said:
    So it's iPhone spying or rounding up those damn foreigners. Sounds as if you favor a police state either way.
    Enforcing immigration laws, kicking out illegals and properly vetting new immigrants hardly amounts to a police state. It amounts to a sensible country.
  • Reply 116 of 153
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,078member
    On February 16th, Tim Cook posted an open letter. Read it and you'll see why 2016 shouldn't be like Nineteen Eighty-Four.
    designrargonaut
  • Reply 117 of 153
    flaneur said:
    Isn't it amazing that President Obama's name is not attached to any of this?  Even though it's his administration that Tim Cook is talking about. Somehow President Obama floats above his policies like a cloud ... that has no responsibility or accountability for anything. And just as Tim Cook avoided mentioning Obama's name, it shall also not be mentioned on any of the traditional news sites.
    Not amazing at all. The president, any president, has less power that the intel agencies that operate in the background from one administration to the next. Just ask jfk.
    The FBI is part of the Obama administration, but my point was mostly about the news media, not the government.  IMO, If this same story had happened eight years ago, the words "Bush" and "Republican" would have been generously sprinkled into every news story. But not now, and that's because most of the news media is run by democrats who are experts at shielding their party from negative PR.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 118 of 153
    But not now, and that's because most of the news media is run by democrats who are experts at shielding their party from negative PR.
    Very true.

People are lashing out and bashing Trump, but I have a newsflash for these people! Trump is not the POTUS, not yet at least.

Obama is currently in charge, and this attack happened under Obama, no doubt helped by Obama's lax immigration rules and Obama's complete defiance of the law, where he is purposely importing dangerous, unvetted people and criminals into the USA. 

I believe that liberals and liberal publications are using Trump as a smokescreen to deflect from any Obama criticism. That's pretty obvious to see.
  • Reply 119 of 153
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Apple will have to comply.
    If need be the government can shut down Apple and put Cook in jail for as long as it takes.
    Corparations just have to comply to the law, no matter what, or how unfair.

Edit: It will be a watershed for aftermarket iOS encryption tools. Maybe time to start writing the code.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 120 of 153
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    apple ][ said:
    wmfork said:
    Apple is really in an indefensible position here. 
    I don't have any issue with Apple helping to hack into this one particular iPhone as a one time thing. If that is at all possible, then Apple should help in my opinion.

But giving the Govt some sort of Master key which can be used to unlock any iPhone, belonging to anybody, is not a good idea, and I am against that. 
    I don't think they're asking for the key of a 'back door'. Just that there exists one that can be opened by Apple for cases like this.