Apple issues new version of iOS 9.2.1 to fix iPhones bricked by 'Error 53'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    kkerst said:
    "The patched software -- which will not be available over the air"

I guess it can only be updated using iTunes. Retro!
    If the phone won't boot up, you can't do an over the air update. 
    ronn
  • Reply 22 of 37
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member
    Now what are the haters going to complain about? Apple makes a software update available for an EXTREMELY small number of users and also offers reimbursement for those few who paid for a replacement.

I'm having a hard time trying to guess how those losers/haters are going to spin this as a negative, but I'm sure somebody will think of something.
    Haters gonna hate, no matter what...
  • Reply 23 of 37
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    adrayven said:
    Because they never do that. As a rule they tend to work on the issue then only once a solution is available do they weigh in..
    Not a good excuse. There's a lot of things Apple is doing now that it's never done before. Why wait for someone to file a class action lawsuit?
    It's not an excuse - it's more of a reason.  One of Apples statements was that "we are looking into this and users affected by the error should call Apple to discuss their options" (or something very similar to that).  My guess is that they probably did convey some or all of this information to the small number of users that actually experienced the problem and called Apple as directed.  

Why exactly should they have done more than that?  There was never a public statement from Apple that this was normal or intentional.  In fact there was a public statement that said this is not what should happen (by virtue of explaining that Touch ID including Apple Pay should be disabled).  A few journalists publicized false claims and speculation that this was intentional and made up some completely unbelievable reasons to go along with it.  It should have been obvious to anyone with a brain that those claims were completely out of character for Apple and therefore completely false.  For Apple to respond to those rumors would have gone against their long standing policy to specifically NOT react or respond to rumors and innuendo from the media.  Perhaps they would have said something mor if the issue were something that affected a large number of users - but it didn't.

They investigated the issue and created a fix - rather promptly the way I see it.  That class action lawsuit was a joke right from the start.  I hope that law firm lost a good chunk of money trying to get the class registered along with their credibility.  Greedy idiots.  If they had taken 10 minutes to read all of Apples official statements on the matter, they would have known there was no case.

All we will see now are sour grapes from those that let themselves get sucked in by the irresponsible journalism and hate mongering or from those who look like morons having been proven wrong while blindly defending Apple's "decision" (ha ha) to brick the phone as something that was necessary to preserve security.  I think I t looks good on them.  Perhaps next time they'll stop and think before posting rubbish.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    …The patched software -- which will not be available over the air -- carries build number 13D20…

It is, at least now, available for routine download using iTunes. I already had the original iOS 9.2.1 installed on my iPhone 6 and when I had connect it via USB to my MacBook Pro,  in the iTunes Summary panel, the "upgrade" was available to me. Chose it and it routinely did the download and the update--and in Settings->General->About it now shows the Version as cited: 9.2.1 (13D20). (Previous to the update the version was 9.2.1 (13D15).)
  • Reply 25 of 37
    tenly said:

Perhaps next time they'll stop and think before posting rubbish.
    As a long time reader of this site I can guarantee you that this will not be the case.  There are some members here (who I won't specifically name) that repeatedly end up making a fool of themselves.  This occasion is not unique in that regard.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    tenly said:
    Not a good excuse. There's a lot of things Apple is doing now that it's never done before. Why wait for someone to file a class action lawsuit?
    It's not an excuse - it's more of a reason.  One of Apples statements was that "we are looking into this and users affected by the error should call Apple to discuss their options" (or something very similar to that).  My guess is that they probably did convey some or all of this information to the small number of users that actually experienced the problem and called Apple as directed.  

Why exactly should they have done more than that?  There was never a public statement from Apple that this was normal or intentional.  In fact there was a public statement that said this is not what should happen (by virtue of explaining that Touch ID including Apple Pay should be disabled).  A few journalists publicized false claims and speculation that this was intentional and made up some completely unbelievable reasons to go along with it.  It should have been obvious to anyone with a brain that those claims were completely out of character for Apple and therefore completely false.  For Apple to respond to those rumors would have gone against their long standing policy to specifically NOT react or respond to rumors and innuendo from the media.  Perhaps they would have said something mor if the issue were something that affected a large number of users - but it didn't.

They investigated the issue and created a fix - rather promptly the way I see it.  That class action lawsuit was a joke right from the start.  I hope that law firm lost a good chunk of money trying to get the class registered along with their credibility.  Greedy idiots.  If they had taken 10 minutes to read all of Apples official statements on the matter, they would have known there was no case.

All we will see now are sour grapes from those that let themselves get sucked in by the irresponsible journalism and hate mongering or from those who look like morons having been proven wrong while blindly defending Apple's "decision" (ha ha) to brick the phone as something that was necessary to preserve security.  I think I t looks good on them.  Perhaps next time they'll stop and think before posting rubbish.
    Yeah, if you read the press release Apple said nothing about disabling the device. 

"We take customer security very seriously and Error 53 is the result of security checks designed to protect our customers," the company said. "iOS checks that the Touch ID sensor in your iPhone or iPad correctly matches your device's other components. If iOS finds a mismatch, the check fails and Touch ID, including for Apple Pay use, is disabled. This security measure is necessary to protect your device and prevent a fraudulent Touch ID sensor from being used. If a customer encounters Error 53, we encourage them to contact Apple Support."

I suspect error 53 was a genuine deployment error which was never meant to disable the entire device and that some cases were not adequately tested. 
  • Reply 27 of 37
    tenly said:

Perhaps next time they'll stop and think before posting rubbish.
    As a long time reader of this site I can guarantee you that this will not be the case.  There are some members here (who I won't specifically name) that repeatedly end up making a fool of themselves.  This occasion is not unique in that regard.
    Agreed.  It was more wishful thinking than anything else.

But as "a long time reader", it's interesting/surprising/strange that after all this time, making a benign comment on my post was the catalyst to have you make your very first post...?  New account...?
  • Reply 28 of 37
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    If this was never Apple's intention to begin with why didn't they say that from the very beginning and say they were working on a software update to fix it? This gives the appearance that filing a class action lawsuit made Apple change its mind. Or worse this really wasn't Apple's intention but then one has to question how in the hell was it not caught before being pushed to consumers?
    Likely because it wasn't a "factory test" and this is just the best way to PR spin it. The correct solution was always to disable the device if it's been tampered with. If the iOS update "flipped it on" and it bricked unauthorized repairs, that was collateral damage, and I'm pretty sure someone inside Apple got their wrists slapped for turning on the feature without considering the consequences.

This is what always happens when a security feature is a little too ambitious. It gets tested on developer hardware, no problems show up, so it gets rolled out to production hardware, and then suddenly all the repaired and slightly-damaged devices fail because it fails the tests. Like if you want to play the conspiracy card, it was likely to prevent iOS from being loaded onto non-Apple hardware.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    misa said:
    If this was never Apple's intention to begin with why didn't they say that from the very beginning and say they were working on a software update to fix it? This gives the appearance that filing a class action lawsuit made Apple change its mind. Or worse this really wasn't Apple's intention but then one has to question how in the hell was it not caught before being pushed to consumers?
    Likely because it wasn't a "factory test" and this is just the best way to PR spin it. The correct solution was always to disable the device if it's been tampered with. If the iOS update "flipped it on" and it bricked unauthorized repairs, that was collateral damage, and I'm pretty sure someone inside Apple got their wrists slapped for turning on the feature without considering the consequences.

This is what always happens when a security feature is a little too ambitious. It gets tested on developer hardware, no problems show up, so it gets rolled out to production hardware, and then suddenly all the repaired and slightly-damaged devices fail because it fails the tests. Like if you want to play the conspiracy card, it was likely to prevent iOS from being loaded onto non-Apple hardware.
    You're wrong.  The correct solution is to disable any and all features that could be compromised.  In this case, that means Touch ID and anything that relies on Touch ID.  Disabling the entire device is NOT the correct solution and it was never Apples intention to do so.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    kkerst said:
    "The patched software -- which will not be available over the air"

I guess it can only be updated using iTunes. Retro!
    Bricked phones don't do a particularly good job of downloading OTA updates.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    foggyhill said:
    webweasel said:
    Good. I said as much on the original Guardian article and got flamed for my trouble.
    Probably got flamed for your tone, like 99% people who crapped out replies on this subject. Post your post here so I evaluate how "poised" your reply was (or do I need to track it down).

I checked back and it looks like the Guardian have done some heavy moderating of the comments on that page and it's taken my replies with it, so you'll have to take my word for it, but all I said was that Apple were correct to take action where secure ID had been tampered with but it was unfortunate that it bricked the whole phone and not just the Touch ID. Have you ever posted on a Guardian tech article? It's a nest of angry fandroids.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    tenly said:
    misa said:

You're wrong.  The correct solution is to disable any and all features that could be compromised.  In this case, that means Touch ID and anything that relies on Touch ID.  Disabling the entire device is NOT the correct solution and it was never Apples intention to do so.
    That's not what Apple originally said and some here (and elsewhere) defended the entire device being bricked. If it was never Apple's intention to do so then we should be worried something like this was ever pushed to consumers in the first place. Clearly Apple needs to improve its QA.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    tenly said:
    That's not what Apple originally said and some here (and elsewhere) defended the entire device being bricked. If it was never Apple's intention to do so then we should be worried something like this was ever pushed to consumers in the first place. Clearly Apple needs to improve its QA.
    That's a bit far fetched, unrealistic and could be construed by some as hate- or fear-mongering.  Some people will read your words and jump right on the bandwagon thinking that any glitch - no matter how small is unacceptable.  Irresponsible claims and rumors are what started this mess in the first place.  Software bugs are part of life no matter how thorough the testing is - especially with something as complex as an operating system.  If every single feature of iOS were tested with every possible device configuration before an update was released, we'd see very few updates - and if they contained ANY bugs or security vulnerabilities at all - it would take an insanely long time to get a patch released for them!  

This issue got a lot of publicity even though it actually only affected an insanely small number of devices.  It only affected users who were happily going through life with an improperly configured, possibly third party Touch ID sensor.  I for one am more than willing to give Apple a pass for not thinking to test every piece of their latest update with a device in that configuration - an operable, yet clearly "broken" device.  It didn't affect me or anyone I know and I doubt that it affected you or anyone you know.  Your feigned "righteous indignation" is something I would expect to see from a troll with less than 10 posts - not a respected member of this community such as yourself.

That *is* in fact what Apple originally said.  They did not revise any statements.  Several journalists inserted a lot of their own suppositions and tumors in an attempt to make the minor bug report a click-worthy headline grabbing story - and it worked!  You - along with 80% of the Internet fell for it and believed that the reporters words were Apples words. They weren't - and that was clear from the beginning for those of us who took the time to read it and notice where the double-quotes (") started and ended.

The sky is NOT falling.  There's nothing to see here.  Move along.  Everybody please go back about your business.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Now what are the haters going to complain about? Apple makes a software update available for an EXTREMELY small number of users and also offers reimbursement for those few who paid for a replacement.

I'm having a hard time trying to guess how those losers/haters are going to spin this as a negative, but I'm sure somebody will think of something.
    The fact is the way Apple disabled the machine was wrong. The end result is that the issue has been fixed but it certainly wasn't out of the goodness of Apple's heart. It was because of the lawsuit and all the internet noise generated, in large part, by those loses/haters who in this instance, were absolutely right.

A fanboy like yourself is a hundred times worse than any "loser/hater".

-kpluck
  • Reply 35 of 37
    kpluck said:

The fact is the way Apple disabled the machine was wrong. The end result is that the issue has been fixed but it certainly wasn't out of the goodness of Apple's heart. It was because of the lawsuit and all the internet noise generated, in large part, by those loses/haters who in this instance, were absolutely right.

A fanboy like yourself is a hundred times worse than any "loser/hater".

-kpluck
    There is absolutely nothing "factual" about your post.

Anybody tempted to believe this troll should take the time to read Apple's actual statements.  They were reposted by someone earlier in this thread and if you do take the time to read them, they are quite clear as to what they say - and prove that it was never Apples intent to disable the device.  The lawsuit is a joke and a complete non-issue.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    jfc1138 said:
    ""Customers who paid for an out-of-warranty replacement of their device based on this issue should contact AppleCare about a reimbursement.""

Good for them.
    And during the process Apple can simultaneously check to see if those particular iPhones were stolen.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 37 of 37
    tenly said:
    The sky is NOT falling.  There's nothing to see here.  Move along.  Everybody please go back about your business.
    I'm not saying the sky is falling. But it's not good when things like this find their way to customers. I'm glad Apple is doing the right thing here.