IBM brings Apple's Swift to the cloud, simplifying enterprise app development

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    croprcropr Posts: 1,125member
    john.b said:
    wizard69 said:
    With this sort of backing and rapid development Swift might just replace C++, Python and other popular web development languages.  It will be interesting to see where Swift is in three years.

Python's native power is in parsing data.  It's nearly the perfect informatics language.  Everything Perl could have been if it weren't for Perl's ugly unreadable syntax and style. I'm liking Swift so far, but I see it as a separate language with its own purpose.  It will be interesting to see if Swift can move out of the shadow of being Apple's Obj-C replacement.
    Fully agree to that. I've done some testing with Swift. Nice language. It has great potential but there are big parts still missing (e.g. libraries). This will gradually improve, but due to its structure it will never compete with Python, in areas where the latter is really shining. Seeing Swift as a great step forward from Objective C, does not make Swift the greatest thing on earth. It just proves how terribly outdated Objective C is.
    edited February 2016 john.b
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Can someone explain the Java-hate that has emerged over the past few years?

I'm not defending Java, I just honestly don't know what the issues are. 10+ years ago Java was considered a great language -- and enterprises still use it heavily -- so I just don't know what concerns have turned popular sentiment against it.
    The Java hate has been specific to the browser plugins. Java as a server-side language is loved by many. That's why it's the #1 language on the TIOBE Index and PYPL .
  • Reply 23 of 29
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Many years back IBM was the big backers of Java. Just for one purpose, cross-platform, development. Develop code once and port/deploy on different platform. In few years, IBM will help push Swift into enterprise software development projects as the number one choice. Besides, Linux,OSX, Swift needs to be ported to Windows platform to expedite it's adoption.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 24 of 29
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    rcfa said:
    Anyone who did WebObjects in Objective-C starts having a deja-vue; then the Java craze came and destroyed it all. Swift is WebScript, Objective-C on steroids, what Java should have been.

There are a few things I miss in Swift from an experimental language called TOM that was developed in Holland; and of course I hope eventually we get to see a classic more ObjC like syntax; Swift is as ugly to write as C and Java; it lacks ObjC's elegant message syntax.

Which just proves that beauty is in the eye of beholder. I think the messaging syntax is the ugliest thing about ObjectiveC – and there's plenty of hideousness to choose from. 

I doubt it it will ever be implemented in Swift, and not because it is ugly; it is just too unfamiliar to the vast majority of developers. 
  • Reply 25 of 29

Mmm ...

I just finished bringing up the Kitura web server and then the Kitura web server / TodoList sample:

https://developer.ibm.com/swift/2016/02/22/building-end-end-cloud-apps-using-swift-kitura/

I must say it was an [unnecessarily tedious and regressive] experience!

There is no IDE so you need to:
    • bounce back and forth between browser, an editor and the CLI in a terminal window
    • in turn, do a swift build, make and execute whenever you make a change.

There is a different infrastructure than a typical OS X or iOS project -- the Package Manager ...  Not difficult, but different.

edited February 2016
  • Reply 26 of 29
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    wood1208 said:
    Many years back IBM was the big backers of Java. Just for one purpose, cross-platform, development. Develop code once and port/deploy on different platform. In few years, IBM will help push Swift into enterprise software development projects as the number one choice. Besides, Linux,OSX, Swift needs to be ported to Windows platform to expedite it's adoption.
    Why do they need to port to Windows?
    With WebAssembly couldn't they treat the browser as the common platform and build a swift runtime to get near native performance for apps.

Apple's main upside in all this would be getting developers on Mac's not to mention helping lock in customers to their platforms. IBM want to sell backend hardware to companies. Not sure I see an advantage to either to port to Windows unless MS want to put people on it.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    mattinoz said:
    wood1208 said:
    With WebAssembly couldn't they treat the browser as the common platform and build a swift runtime to get near native performance for apps.

Apple's main upside in all this would be getting developers on Mac's not to mention helping lock in customers to their platforms. IBM want to sell backend hardware to companies. Not sure I see an advantage to either to port to Windows unless MS want to put people on it.
    There is already a 'port' to Windows (and Android). Not so much a port as an implementation of Swift for those platforms using the platforms' API. Note: I haven't used it, but it's on my list of things to do... http://www.elementscompiler.com/elements/silver

• Reply 28 of 29
    mattinoz said:
    wood1208 said:

I suspect the Lattner/Apple/IBM target is the green line below:

https://medium.com/javascript-scene/what-is-webassembly-the-dawn-of-a-new-era-61256ec5a8f6#.gbyl1v71q

And this is how they'll sell it:

edited February 2016
  • Reply 29 of 29
    volcan said:
    I just signed up. What a dreadfully slow service. I guess the server couldn't handle the load after the announcement.

The validation email took more than ten minutes to make it to my inbox.
    The log in screen still won't load.  
    502 Bad Gateway: Registered endpoint failed to handle the request.
    I understand they had understand they had ordered approx 8-10 more gerbils which went right thru but the got hung up on the feeders and exercise wheels stuff. Their was also and issue about he number of gerbil-hrs that could be forced to work at a time. I understand Obama, DOJ, Demo's and the Repub's pointed out they should have some input if a nu method of energy generation to test the prototype is used. So I cannot see this getting for unless, tractrction until 18 months or more. .