85% of mobile device failures occur on Android, with Samsung leading the way

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    In other news, most car accidents happen on roads. Lies, Damn Lies, Statistics.

Kidding, mostly, but it's clear that these results aren't adjusted for number of users on each platform. 
  • Reply 22 of 43
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    wood1208 said:
    My iphone 4 lasted 5 years(2010- Nov 2015) without failure with 2 times water dive. There is one reliable smartphone, THE iphone.
    My iPhone 4 lasted 3 years (2010-2013), but during the last year of its life, first the "Home" button became so unreliable I had to turn on the virtual home button in Accessibility, then the Power/Lock button broke, making it very difficult to lock, power down or take screen shots, etc.

I replaced it with an iPhone 5S in 2013, but less than a year later, the flash/light stopped working. Apple replaced it with a brand new 5S, but a year later after iOS 9.2.1 the Touch ID on the new phone stopped working, and the battery drain has become intolerable. Apple said that 9.2.1 uncovered a previously undetected undeterminable defect, and the phone would have to be replaced. Never needing Apple Care + before this, I have no recourse but to buy a new phone, or spend $269 to have the old one repaired.

Anecdotal evidence is rarely proof of anything other than one's personal experience. But I will tell you this, I will never buy another iPhone without Apple Care +.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 23 of 43
    techlover said:

The article is about smartphones and tablets.

But let's stick with smartphones. The iPhone is around 700 million active users. That would mean there are around 4 billion ACTIVE Android smartphones in use. Do you think there are that many? Again, a simple yes or no will suffice.
    I would say yes.

How many people do you think have more than one "ACTIVE" (as you like to put it in all caps) device?

I personally have a few "ACTIVE" phones, and more "ACTIVE" tablets than I would care to admit.

Hell I even have a tablet that I only use in the john when I am taking a dump. And that is most definitely an "ACTIVE" tablet.

EDIT: I will "come clean" and admit that I use my toilet tablet to also play podcasts while I am taking a shower.

Then you are delusional. Google states around 1.4 billion active Android devices. So you're telling me that there's another 2.6 billion non-Google Android devices out there?

Even your sources (like IDC) peg the "Others" category for Android at around 50% of all Android devices. So that makes 2.8 billion active (if you can even believe their "estimates". Still far short of 4 billion.
    netmagepatchythepirate
  • Reply 24 of 43
    cnocbui said:

Except Android isn't 85% of devices.

Only the severely mathematically challenged would claim that. There is ZERO evidence to back this ridiculous claim. 
    Your reading comprehension appears to be somewhat lacking:  SOLD LAST YEAR - there,  a subtle clue for you.  And here is some non zero evidence for you:

And those iOS numbers include my daughters iPod Touch that is still running OS 6 as it can't be upgraded beyond that.  Then there's the odd iPad or two

Where's your source for these numbers? Oh right, they're are all fabricated estimates.

Please provide me with a list of manufacturers and the actual reported sales numbers (or shipments if you wish) for each.

BTW, shall I drop the bomb now? The people who did this test left out the "Other" category, which is some 50% of Android devices. The 85% figure they state was 85% of Apple, Samsung, Motorola, Xaiomi, Lenovo and Asus. It's NOT 85% of ALL smartphones sold.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 25 of 43
    cnocbui said:
    Your reading comprehension appears to be somewhat lacking:  SOLD LAST YEAR - there,  a subtle clue for you.  And here is some non zero evidence for you:

And those iOS numbers include my daughters iPod Touch that is still running OS 6 as it can't be upgraded beyond that.  Then there's the odd iPad or two

Where's your source for these numbers? Oh right, they're are all fabricated estimates.

Please provide me with a list of manufacturers and the actual reported sales numbers (or shipments if you wish) for each.

BTW, shall I drop the bomb now? The people who did this test left out the "Other" category, which is some 50% of Android devices. The 85% figure they state was 85% of Apple, Samsung, Motorola, Xaiomi, Lenovo and Asus. It's NOT 85% of ALL smartphones sold.
    you mean some how this report managed not to have a meaningful number of Huawei handsets issues. One of the biggest manufacturers in China?
  • Reply 26 of 43
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    domino67 said:
    As Android is 85% of the market and iOS is 15%, it would seem that both OS have the same failure rate.
    They didn't test every active phone in existence. "The BTG data is based on the diagnostics testing of "millions" of iOS and Android devices in Asia, Europe, and North America, using the company's SmartChk platform. So while it's not clear of the exact numbers, I'm assuming the large test slices for each device maker was similar and all of them added up to "millions"
  • Reply 27 of 43

Instead f shouting about how you don't like a source because it disagrees with you, do you have a source to counter them?
    techlover
  • Reply 28 of 43
    Do we really need a collection of stats to tell us that Android devices shit the bed way, way more often than iPhones?

• Reply 29 of 43
    cnocbui said:

So you're pretty much the only person ever to say the opposite of nearly everyone else including Apple sites. 

Can you back up your claims with links? 
    techlover
  • Reply 30 of 43
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    domino67 said:
    As Android is 85% of the market and iOS is 15%, it would seem that both OS have the same failure rate.

Glad someone mentioned this early in the comment chain (where everyone is likely to see it). I'm no fan of Android, but hell, fair is fair and in this case the reported failure rate for devices of each OS is exactly what would be expected given their market share. There's no argument here that Samsung, LG, et al Android devices are of lesser quality.  They merely suffer from a malicious, insecure, poor performing and fragmented OS, but that's another story.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    tele1234 said:

Instead f shouting about how you don't like a source because it disagrees with you, do you have a source to counter them?
    Of course he does. Faith.

Kidding... or am I. While I'm completely OK with questioning IDC or any other source in particular... well, I'm OK with questioning that source that claims that much iOS devices in active use. My two old iPhones 3Gs are being turned on on occasion, and my mom sometimes still turns on her old original iPad and first gen iPad Mini. They might show somewhere as active devices, but that might be a bit misguiding, IMHO. 

I'm wondering if iOS devices are not being kept around longer even when people upgrade - maybe due to stronger emotional attachment, or simple fact that they were expensive in a first place (compared to cheap Android phones and tablets that could be permanently discarded more often than not, when owners upgrade). After all, I'm keeping my old 3Gs - I've purchased them out of contract and they were both NZ$1300+, it just feels wrong to drop them into garbage bin.
    edited February 2016 tele1234techlover
  • Reply 32 of 43
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    cnocbui said:

Except Android isn't 85% of devices.

Only the severely mathematically challenged would claim that. There is ZERO evidence to back this ridiculous claim. 

Pretty sure that ericthehalfbee is correct; the 85% of mobile failures is the Android share based on devices in use, not on devices sold in a single year.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    tmay said:
    cnocbui said:

Pretty sure that ericthehalfbee is correct; the 85% of mobile failures is the Android share based on devices in use, not on devices sold in a single year.
    I'm not sure how much stock to place in any of these numbers with respect to device hardware quality. There are too many spanners in the works.

For instance this data set is compiled by a third party repair/resale/diagnosis company. It would seem much more likely that iOS devices would have repairs channeled through apple support rather than a third party which would choose to implement this smartchk tool. That's a testament to apples support processes by the way, but it could mask the rate of Apple defects from this data set. 

On the other hand, android devices to me seem more likely to seek third party help, whether it's through the carrier or some other repair channel which happens to use this smartchk tool. 

At any rate, the report is that 27% of devices with a fault were Samsung devices, not that 27% of Samsung devices are faulty, which is what the text of the article seems to imply

• Reply 34 of 43
    noivad said:
    cali said:
    Sammy leads in device failure?? Let's see the media frenzy regarding this.

If 'Droid/Apple share is %20/%80 worlwide then these numbers are decent but I'd expect more from Apple products like less than %10 failure share. Ideally %5 or less for Apple and %95+ for the cheap knockoffs.

You have to realize that 15% is among the market, not the failure rate of iOS devices, which should be under that mark.

Depending on generation (how close something is to cutting edge) a failure rate ideally should be under 10% (up to 15% for bleeding edge, 1st gen products). So, a failure rate of 27% is news since it is a well above normal failure rates.

To explain this, we also have to take into account the bill of materials (BoM) cost & manufacturing costs. With Android market share being dominated by cheaper phones, they have a lower average BoM. The failure rate will always be higher in the economy BoM category as well because their components’ tolerances are wider. This shows Samsung probably has cheaper manufacturing costs with lax tolerances on the low end & insufficient quality control on both low and bleeding edge ends that could catch defects before they ship.

edited February 2016
  • Reply 35 of 43
    techlover said:
    Where do you want to your evidence, IDC?

http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-os-market-share.jsp

Or Gartner?

http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/3169417

Both IDC and Gartner are pretty close to the claimed 85% global Android market share.

Both IDC and Gartner have their numbers used on this site and many others.

Hook. Line. Sinker.

I KNEW someone was going to take fabricated sales figures/shipments from companies that don't report them to try and make a case.

Apple currently has 1 billion active iOS users. If they were at 15% and Android was at 85% then Android would need to have 5.6 billion ACTIVE users.

Now tell the truth, do you honestly believe there are 5.6 billion Android devices currently in use around the world? A simple yes or no will suffice.

Apple has one billion DEVICES active, this includes ipods, Macs, watches along with phones and tablets.  The number of iPads and iphones is much less.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    domino67 said:
    Just admit you have no idea how percentages work.

• Reply 37 of 43
    techlover said:
    I would say yes.

How many people do you think have more than one "ACTIVE" (as you like to put it in all caps) device?

I personally have a few "ACTIVE" phones, and more "ACTIVE" tablets than I would care to admit.

Hell I even have a tablet that I only use in the john when I am taking a dump. And that is most definitely an "ACTIVE" tablet.

EDIT: I will "come clean" and admit that I use my toilet tablet to also play podcasts while I am taking a shower.

Then you are delusional. Google states around 1.4 billion active Android devices. So you're telling me that there's another 2.6 billion non-Google Android devices out there?

Even your sources (like IDC) peg the "Others" category for Android at around 50% of all Android devices. So that makes 2.8 billion active (if you can even believe their "estimates". Still far short of 4 billion.
    Google states 1.4billion active users in the past 30 days, not devices.  Apple was active devices in the past 90 days.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 38 of 43
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    domino67 said:

Yeah, I was going to post the same thing. Actually, Apple's share is higher than that, but not by much for phones, about 17.5%. For tablets, it's about 30%.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    domino67 said:
    Let's say that that is the market share percentage which I don't think it is.
    Let's say there are 1000 phones 15% iPhone 85% droids 
    that's 850 droids and 150 iPhones
    If 85% of droids fail that's 722 fail droids that's like 2 out of every 3 that fail 
    if 15% of iPhones fail that's 22.5 fail iPhones that's like 1 out of every 6 that fail. 
    I don't thinks it's the same rate and I also don't think that androids are failing so massively. I know they are bad, but that bad. That's way too blown out of proportion. Let's be realistic this numbers are trash. I like them but they were pulled out of a cows ass.

• Reply 40 of 43
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    This article is a little bit misleading as well as the graph is misinterpreted. From the original article: "The information contained in this report is based on internal data collected from millions of iOS and Android smartphones and tablets that underwent diagnostics testing on our SmartChk platform in North America, Europe and Asia during the fourth quarter of 2015 (Q4 2015)." It is obvious that the graph above does not equate to the marketshare. The data is "purposely collected" from a targeted sample. It is nowhere in the article stated that that sample is based on the marketshare percentage while it's stated clearly that the target sample consist of 2 OS being equal. Hence, the 15% failure rate of iPhone is against 85% failure of Android in an equal sample size.