Facing challenges from FBI, Apple vows to strengthen encryption even further

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    prox said:
    msantti said:
    The iPhoe is quickly becoming the terrorists phon of choice.
    Apple will continue to allow the Chinese government access but will happily protect a person who kills Americans.
    Let's assume Prox and Msantti are trolls—only here to insight emotional responses. I just cannot imagine they actually believe in their provocations. Does not seem realistic. What if we just ignore them, would they disappear?
  • Reply 42 of 48
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    msantti said:

Tim Cook is going to see a ice little spike in sales.

Terrorists now know that Apple has their back.
    prox said:
    msantti said:

Apple will continue to allow the Chinese government access but will happily protect a person who kills Americans.
    Both of your arguments, which have been posted multiple times and countered by most people, are strawman arguments. By exaggerating, misrepresenting, or just completely fabricating the fact, it's much easier to present your own position as being reasonable, but this kind of dishonesty serves to undermine honest rational debate.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    metrixmetrix Posts: 256member
    GarryGR said:

I bought a Apple II computer in 1978 or 79 - I'm so old, I'm not longer sure what year it was! And, for a few years, I was an Apple developer. So I've taken pleasure with Apple's success; there were a lot of really tough years in Apple's early history, including after the introduction of the Lisa in 1983 and the MAC in 1984. But, I don't understand this idea that we need to allow people to hide info from the US agencies charged with preventing terrorism. I suppose it's this general distrust, to put it euphemistically, of GOVMENT so successfully propagated by the Republicans! But, I'm assuming, no one's so idiotic as to suggest that this isn't an appropriate governmental function?!

I'd like those of you who think Apple shouldn't provide help to the FBI for privacy reasons, to site specific examples of what you're afraid of the FBI doing with your secret personal info. It seems the arguments for the need for info to be totally inaccessible to the FBI always consists of some vague generalities; I'm at a loss, as to the need for this for law abiding citizens.

The challenges of our Homeland Security folks are monumental enough with out these constraints being placed on them. Even with complete access to all personal info, it's an impossible task. But, that doesn't justify not allowing them access to information that is highly likely to be pertinent to the task.

I'll give you a good reason. After 9/11 I went to get a boarding pass from the Kiosk and it didn't work, so after getting insulted by the ticket agent for not knowing how to work it, she said "let me see your ID". She promptly turned white and said " you are on the Federal Watch List, I need to get a manager". I thought they were joking. I was born in Texas, never been to jail, no crazy affiliations, don't own a gun, and voted in every Presidential election that I can remember. For over a decade I could not check in on line, I had to go to the ticket counter. Even after 10 years or so when i got back from Ireland, customs pulled me an my wife a side and questioned us. The only other guy in the room was of middle eastern descent. The Inspector General of the Justice Dept. reported that the Terror Screening Center of the FBI has 1,000,000 names in that database and it is growing by about 20,000 a month.

Let's say your boss asked the IT department to provide access to all the computers at the workplace. This allowed him to monitor real time what everyone was doing or saying in email, texts, etc. He finds out you are interested in starting a union so he fires you immediately or worse yet he trumps up a sexual harassment allegation to destroy your credibility.
    We are running scared because the Patriot Act allows the government to basically claim anyone is a terrorist based on something that was on your phone or computer and you are gone.
    badmonk
  • Reply 44 of 48
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,348member
    metrix said:
    GarryGR said:

I bought a Apple II computer in 1978 or 79 - I'm so old, I'm not longer sure what year it was! And, for a few years, I was an Apple developer. So I've taken pleasure with Apple's success; there were a lot of really tough years in Apple's early history, including after the introduction of the Lisa in 1983 and the MAC in 1984. But, I don't understand this idea that we need to allow people to hide info from the US agencies charged with preventing terrorism. I suppose it's this general distrust, to put it euphemistically, of GOVMENT so successfully propagated by the Republicans! But, I'm assuming, no one's so idiotic as to suggest that this isn't an appropriate governmental function?!

I'd like those of you who think Apple shouldn't provide help to the FBI for privacy reasons, to site specific examples of what you're afraid of the FBI doing with your secret personal info. It seems the arguments for the need for info to be totally inaccessible to the FBI always consists of some vague generalities; I'm at a loss, as to the need for this for law abiding citizens.

The challenges of our Homeland Security folks are monumental enough with out these constraints being placed on them. Even with complete access to all personal info, it's an impossible task. But, that doesn't justify not allowing them access to information that is highly likely to be pertinent to the task.

I'll give you a good reason. After 9/11 I went to get a boarding pass from the Kiosk and it didn't work, so after getting insulted by the ticket agent for not knowing how to work it, she said "let me see your ID". She promptly turned white and said " you are on the Federal Watch List, I need to get a manager". I thought they were joking. I was born in Texas, never been to jail, no crazy affiliations, don't own a gun, and voted in every Presidential election that I can remember. For over a decade I could not check in on line, I had to go to the ticket counter. Even after 10 years or so when i got back from Ireland, customs pulled me an my wife a side and questioned us. The only other guy in the room was of middle eastern descent. The Inspector General of the Justice Dept. reported that the Terror Screening Center of the FBI has 1,000,000 names in that database and it is growing by about 20,000 a month.

Let's say your boss asked the IT department to provide access to all the computers at the workplace. This allowed him to monitor real time what everyone was doing or saying in email, texts, etc. He finds out you are interested in starting a union so he fires you immediately or worse yet he trumps up a sexual harassment allegation to destroy your credibility.
    We are running scared because the Patriot Act allows the government to basically claim anyone is a terrorist based on something that was on your phone or computer and you are gone.
    I'll be you never got off the list, and you found stuff missing from your luggage after a TSA inspection more than a few times..
  • Reply 45 of 48
    msantti said:

With our deliberately-open borders, deliberately-lax visa enforcement, and deliberately-protected sanctuary cities, terrorists also know the US government has their backs.
    Sounds like someone wants to live in a police state. How is *that* for irony?
  • Reply 46 of 48
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    msantti said:

Really? So 99% of the world population should just have weak security on their phones! A backdoor for Governments is a backdoor for Criminals. You may have a thing for Terrorists to give up your personal data, but other places, it could be dissidents losing their freedom or life because of back doors. In the end, the only ones with real Encryption without back doors are terrorists. You can just buy any old cheap Android phone and install any number of 3rd party Encryption software onto them and have full encryption and NO BACK DOORS!!! There's not a thing the U.S. Government can do to change that as they're from other countries. So the U.S. will have weak encryption. Fraud will run rampant. It won't have a single effect on Terrorists. All for the off chance of being killed by one when your chances are far higher in getting struck by lighting. By the way, GUNS are a Terrorists best friend also, right? Why are the FBI and Police promoting gun use? They should stop using them. It's so sad with all you suckers to willing to freely give up your rights in the name of whatever the ever Growing Government wants. All for a false sense of security.
    badmonk
  • Reply 47 of 48
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    prox said:
    msantti said:

So you just make stuff up! NO The Chinese government does not have any back door access to iOS. Apple did have to allow the Chinese Government to look into the OS with Apple there in a locked room with full control, so they could make sure the U.S. Government didn't have back door access to Chinese Citizens!!! Once that was verified were allowed to sell iPhones in China. That of course would chance and Apple could lose their ability to sell iPhones in China if the U.S. Government got their way in getting a backdoor into iOS.
    badmonk
  • Reply 48 of 48
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    msantti said:

Is it the phone of choice of people who can't spell?  Turn on spell check you fool.  Or was this suppose to have a /s tag?