Apple pushes 7.2.1 software update to third-generation Apple TV

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    stevenoz said:
    I need my 3rd gen Apple TV to keep working because the 4th gen doesn't have an audio out port! It only has HDMI and I pass sound to my stereo system for much better sound than my TV would give me.

Another Apple disappointment!!

I truly wish Steve Jobs would come back from the dead and KICK some SERIOUS BUTT !!
    Wow. A bunch of nonsense over a VERY simple issue. Here's how you do it: connect the Apple TV with an HDMI cable to the TV. From the TV, connect RCA cables to the Audio Out ports on the back of the TV. From there, plug the other end of the RCA cables into the back of the stereo/home theatre to the Audio In ports. 

All done. See how simple that is? 
  • Reply 22 of 27
    rgh71 said:
    If you were really interested in much better sound, you would be using HDMI anyway, not optical. 
    Now that is not true, optical is as pure anode of transmission as any; hdmi, copper
    HDMI is better than optical. Optical can't transmit the bandwidth necessary for uncompressed sound. ATV4 supports Dolby Digital Plus. You need HDMI for DD Plus. Streaming movies from Netflix for example will sound a lot better compared to using an optical connection on the previous generation ATV. 
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 23 of 27
    foggyhill said:
    rgh71 said:
    Now that is not true, optical is as pure anode of transmission as any; hdmi, copper
    They're both digital, but in one case you have to convert you're bit and bytes into light and then convert it back, a bit useless if you ask me, but harmless for the Apple TV.
    For stereo there is no difference, optical transmit uncompressed stereo.
    If your using 5.1, you have to transmit it compressed over optical, which is not the case for HDMI.
    This is only a problem if you use Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD Master Audio,or uncompressed LPCM which are uncompressed and only seen really in Blue Ray disks.

So, for all usage that an Apple TV will be used for, there is no difference between optical and hdmi, though most newer receivers, and end devices are obviously made to get hdmi and optical is just an afterthought (it's a connection method that is fading fast). There is no flow control and communication between components with optical.

A conversion box hdm to optical is pretty cheap $20-30 and will convert your output into optical.

There actually is a difference on ATV4. The new Apple TV supports Dolby Digital Plus, so it make sense Apple ditched the outdated optical connection. You can't use DD Plus over optical. Streaming Netflix movies sound much better on the new Apple TV since the previous generation doesn't support Dolby Digital Plus. 
  • Reply 24 of 27
    So is ATV 3 dead and frozen in time, or is Apple gong to provide content/channel updates for it going forward?  
  • Reply 25 of 27
    I switched from ATV3 to ATV4 three months ago and I think both devices have advantages over each other. As a streaming device I don't ser a big difference between two.

Netflix works in the same way on both for example. Youtube works the same except in ATV4 you can disable up next video option. 

Apps are abvious difference. I have media streaming apps like Infuse and I must say that is my the most important reason to buy Atv4. However on my old Atv I was able to install Infuse via jailbreak. This means, technically Atv3 can run Infuse. 

Touch remote is cool to use but it doesn't feel as easy as Atv3 remote. Because sliding is not as precise as clicking on a button. I ended up using my Atv3 remote on Atv4.

Navigation on a video is painful on Atv4. You need to slide fast enough to start navigation. I always fail on my first try and try again. On Atv3 i was clicking down button which was giving me navigation option and I was quickly navigating the video, it was not as precise as ATV 4 but it was getting the joh done on my first try. I don't understand why Apple removed that feature.

I like play with the apps and games on my Atv4 however I don't find myself using apps on Atv. I'm using Atv4 in the samw way Atv3 except Infuse app.

I hope Apple will improve Atv4's feature with future updates. Adding a browser, mail app, reading blogs like appleinsider, 
  • Reply 26 of 27
    foggyhill said:
    stevenoz said:
    I need my 3rd gen Apple TV to keep working because the 4th gen doesn't have an audio out port! It only has HDMI and I pass sound to my stereo system for much better sound than my TV would give me.

Another Apple disappointment!!

I truly wish Steve Jobs would come back from the dead and KICK some SERIOUS BUTT !!
    Please spare the violin, buy a $20 part you need and you can use the Apple 4th gen

Not so simple. I use the optical audio out on my 3rd gen and it is superior to the HDMI digital audio. Let me know where I can find a 20 part for hooking up optical and I might consider the new ATV.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    FlacsiFlacsi Posts: 1member
    Guys, need advice, pls.

about to buy atv3 or atv4 and can not decide which one to go for.
    I am using my friend's atv3 since few weeks and the only thing what I use is YouTube.
    yes I tried the movie trailers but come on you do it only once.
    what is the reason, added value or logic to buy atv4 for a way higher cash?
    what are you using atv4 in every day life?