Rumor: Apple to launch 9.7" iPad Pro -- not Air -- in March with Pencil & Smart Keyboard support

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    jaygeo said:
    I think they're naming pro because the "air" moniker will not apply due to the fact that in order to have pen support the 9.7 inch pro will be much heavier than the ipad air...you people are not thinking right

that's brilliant jaygeo

jfc1138
  • Reply 22 of 35
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    wizard69 said:
    Well this sucks!    This will likely mean a half assed upgrade to the iPad Air which will keep its performance artificially low.   Sometimes I don't think Apple really wants the iPad lineup to be successful.   Many of us where waiting for a decent upgrade to the iPad Air last year and got nothing for that wait.    It isn't like iPad Pro was ever in the equation.
    The iPad Air and IPad Pro are all over priced as it is.   No wonder the sales have been sliding down.   They should cut the price by $50 to $100 for the Air and  $100 to $150 for the Pro.  
  • Reply 23 of 35
    emoeller said:
    I would purchase this.  I just reviewed the iPad Pro at the Apple Store and for me, it is just too large, I prefer the portability of he 9.7".  I liked both the Pencil and Apple's keypad cover, but not sure how functional a smaller keyboard would be?
    The iPad Pro is large, but sure nice when using split screen! I have found I have become used to the size, and favor using it when used on my lap, but can understand why the 9.7" would be more appealing.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    This rumor shit doesn't make any sense. Macbook is not tablet. There're not different screen sizes in a tablet line. Instead, the screen size is a differentiator for iPad line, not the name. Mini means 7.9", Air means 9.7" and Pro mean 12.9". 
    I strongly believe the next iPad Air will carry the iPad Pro design and maybe support Apple Pencil. There's no way in hell that Apple would want more iPad selections while the category is suffering the sale. Utterly dumb rumor.
    edited February 2016 williamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 35
    The way Apple is having more and more 'Products' looks a lot like the way it was doing in 1993-1995, when 'sugared water' sale person was Apple's CEO. 
  • Reply 26 of 35
    fallenjt said:
    This rumor shit doesn't make any sense. Macbook is not tablet. There're not different screen sizes in a tablet line. Instead, the screen size is a differentiator for iPad line, not the name. Mini means 7.9", Air means 9.7" and Pro mean 12.9". 
    I strongly believe the next iPad Air will carry the iPad Pro design and maybe support Apple Pencil. There's no way in hell that Apple would want more iPad selections while the category is suffering the sale. Utterly dumb rumor.
    This rumor didn't say anything about the Air. This new 9.7" Pro will replace the Air 2 which will probably get a price cut and hang around for another year.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Hmmm. Tempting. 
  • Reply 28 of 35
    josu said:
    emoeller said:
    I would purchase this.  I just reviewed the iPad Pro at the Apple Store and for me, it is just too large, I prefer the portability of he 9.7".  I liked both the Pencil and Apple's keypad cover, but not sure how functional a smaller keyboard would be?
    Reading your post I thought maybe this could be useful for you

https://www.macstories.net/stories/working-on-the-ipad-one-year-later-still-my-favorite-computer/

A little bit dense but useful reading for the power user.
    Thanks for the link Josu, a good read.  I use my iPad Air 2 to present detailed 3-d models (Autocad files) using TurboViewer.  This app converts everything to vectors which can easily be manipulated in real time.  It is very memory dependent and I am hoping that the new iPad Pro will sport the same 4 Gb of RAM that the larger model now has, as well as the upgraded A9s processor.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    jfc1138 said:
    Hmmm. Tempting. 
    yep tempting. The big pro is tempting but feels just a big large in the hand for free sketching.
    Will definitely try this in store.  
  • Reply 30 of 35
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    What is confusing about the iPad line? Mini - smallish screen, Air - mid-size screen and the Pro - large screen...simple.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 31 of 35
    josujosu Posts: 217member
    emoeller said:
    josu said:
    Reading your post I thought maybe this could be useful for you

https://www.macstories.net/stories/working-on-the-ipad-one-year-later-still-my-favorite-computer/

A little bit dense but useful reading for the power user.
    Thanks for the link Josu, a good read.  I use my iPad Air 2 to present detailed 3-d models (Autocad files) using TurboViewer.  This app converts everything to vectors which can easily be manipulated in real time.  It is very memory dependent and I am hoping that the new iPad Pro will sport the same 4 Gb of RAM that the larger model now has, as well as the upgraded A9s processor.
    Good luck, and happy to be helpful.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Can we call it the iPad Con?
  • Reply 33 of 35
    josujosu Posts: 217member
    I see things a bit different. I see two different iPad lines in the future, the current iPad Mini and iPad Air probably would become the Air line in the fall in 7,9" and 9,7". And then the Pro in 9,7" and 12,9". That replicates in iPads what it got in MacBooks, they see the tablets as a substitute to the laptops, so to make it more evident the monikers make sense. The other difference would be the weight and the performance, the Airs getting a one gen older processor, like now the Pros got the A9x and the Air and mini the A8x. Also the Air line will be the consumer line and the Pro line the power user line. This would be more obvious in the fall when probably iOS10 will have more exclusive features for the iPad beyond the SplitScreen of iOS9. Is only a guess, of course. But I was right with that the new 9,7" will be a Pro.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    I agree the iPadPro is too large, heavy and expensive, but I bought it anyway. It's close to ideal for note taking, drawing and use of the split screen -- that's why I bought it -- and it does this well. The 9.7" is just too small a surface.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    Oh... I just cannot understand why Apple try to confuse the customers. They hae great layout for customers to understand their all products. They can do their layouts like this and give us for freedom of choise.
    iPhone Mini(iPhone 4" series), iPhone Air(iPhone 4,7" series) and iPhone Pro(iPhone 5,5" series)
    Same for iPad. Just change the screensize and the RAM&Processor a little bit for both to give Pro users an advantage and to help power efficiency. 
    And of course; this can be done for Macbooks, Macbook Airs and Macs. 
    Oh please CEOs of the Apple. Read Steve's biography book and remember why he'd cancelled Apple's previous stupid products