Rumor: Apple's 'iPhone 7' to retain 6s dimensions, thinner Lightning port, lack waterproofing

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    sog35 said:

msantti said:
    Lack of waterproofing.

Nice Apple. you seen the new Samsung?

Yeah, waterproofing.
    If you have a bad habit of dropping your phone in the toilet you should buy a Samsung.

For the other 99.99% we are happy with having a phone that is thinner and lighter because it isn't fully waterproof.  Although the iPhone6 can be submerged in a toilet for a few seconds without damage.
    Man, the Apple apologists here are amaing.

I like Apple but I can call them out sometimes.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 42 of 59
    sog35 said:

bulldogs said:
    Dual screens such as on the LG V10 would be compelling. As would be swappable modules for such things as much better cameras, high definition audio or a second battery like the LG G5. http://www.androidcentral.com/quick-look-lg-g5-vs-lg-v10
    Also, 6 GB of LDDR4 RAM and the Snapdragon 820 on the Vivo Xplay 5 makes it officially the fastest phone in the world ... faster than Galaxy S7 and the iPhone 6s. 

Finally, although it is a Windows 10 device, the HP Elite x3 is a 6' phone that - when used with its accompanying dock accessories - can be used as a tablet and a touchscreen laptop. Funny, they were able to get a Continuum-ready device on the market before Microsoft was. The Samsung Galaxy Note 6 will do the same, as Google and Samsung are working (together!) on putting similar features in Android N, and the device will have either 6 GB or 8 GB of RAM to accommodate it. 

So A) Samsung has never been the only company to innovate in this space - in fact the current Android flagship design that most OEMs use is based on the HTC M7, not a Samsung phone - and B there are still a lot of design features out there. Just as Apple took fingerprint scanners from the Motorola Atrix and HTC One Max Android phones and made them mainstream, I could definitely see future iPhones doing the same with LG's dual screens and custom modules. 

And yes, Apple will introduce their own devices with Samsung and LG style curved and bendable screens, and do so as early as 2018. Whether it excites you or not, it is happening.
    Your list is made of up things only .001% of the population care about.

The dual screen on the LGV10 is a gimmick. Swappable modules will never be a big hit because only a few will buy it, thus it won't get support. Who the hell wants to carry around a swappable camera or speaker? Dumb.  The 820 may be fast but with Android it won't hold a candle to the A10 or probably even the A9 in real world tests.

Incorrect.

Its actually .002%.
  • Reply 43 of 59

mike1 said:
    What's the verdict on wireless charging?

IMO, wireless charging is a waste of time, money and effort. You can't use the phone while it's charging or you can't charge it while it's being used. You have to worry where you set it down, need multiple charge units around your house or office. It takes less than two hours to fully charge from almost dead. Simple enough to live with a wire for a short time.
    Then Apple introduces it and it will be a feakin revelation.
    singularity
  • Reply 44 of 59
    tonestertonester Posts: 56member
    bluefire1 said:
    As Peggy Lee once sang, "Is That All There Is"?
    Well if that's all there is my 5S lives another year.  Another mm thinner plus Apple Pay and force touch don't get me excited enough to replace perfectly good hardware. 
  • Reply 45 of 59

cnocbui said:
    sog35 said:

If you have a bad habit of dropping your phone in the toilet you should buy a Samsung.

For the other 99.99% we are happy with having a phone that is thinner and lighter because it isn't fully waterproof.  Although the iPhone6 can be submerged in a toilet for a few seconds without damage.
    I know it doesn't rain in Texas but it does in many other parts of the world.

Oh - and the S7 Edge is only 0.4mm thicker than the 6S+ and is a whopping 35g lighter and has 30% more battery capacity - and it is noticeably smaller.

Picture is pretty damning right there.

Keeping he same size home button is dictatig the size of the top and bottom bezels. They could do a smaller top bezel but then it throws the proportions off.

At the size, just a sliver of a difference can be noticeable.
  • Reply 46 of 59
    tonestertonester Posts: 56member
    badmonk said:
    doing away with the headphone jack is an Apple congruent move compatible with the company's mantra of creative destruction and the quest for simplicity.  it will happen and spur the sales of Beats lightning equiped headphone and other accessories.  brave yourself.

as a heavy user of my iPhone headphone jack, i will tell you it is noisy and succeptible to failure and poor connections.
    Complete bullshit. It's all about getting rid of the hardware that Is allowing companies to get what Apple believes is a free ride for credit card transactions. They have waited years to do this because it would have been too obvious if done earlier. Now they can raise the progress banner and say it has to go so we can shave another 1 mm of the next generation. 
  • Reply 47 of 59
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    I suppose it's too much to hope that the sleep button moves back to the top edge?

(I've been long accustomed to using the volume up button for the shutter.  I find myself putting my wife's 6s to sleep about 20% of the time.)

edited March 2016 mike1
  • Reply 48 of 59
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    msantti said:

mike1 said:

IMO, wireless charging is a waste of time, money and effort. You can't use the phone while it's charging or you can't charge it while it's being used. You have to worry where you set it down, need multiple charge units around your house or office. It takes less than two hours to fully charge from almost dead. Simple enough to live with a wire for a short time.
    Then Apple introduces it and it will be a feakin revelation.

If they figure out how to make it charge 2-3 feet away from base unit, it will be. Otherwise, no.
  • Reply 49 of 59
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    sog35 said:
    msantti said:

Learn to take care of your things. I've never needed a water proof phone.  Water proofing just adds bulk to the phone that 99.9% of the population don't need.  The iPhones are already water resistant and can be in a couple of feet of water for a few seconds. Only .0001% need a phone that can go swimming with them.

So I'm an apologist for not wanted a feature that very few want?
    You seem like the apologist for Samsung. What next? A water proof laptop?
    Try to think outside your own usage!

Maybe Samsung users are more inclined to make/take phone calls while they're using the toilet.
  • Reply 50 of 59
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    msantti said:
    sog35 said:

Based on your posting history, I would never believe that you like Apple.  You don't "call them out" sometimes - you are 100% negative and critical.  Maybe to you that seems like a balanced opinion.
  • Reply 51 of 59
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Increasing the "water resistance" of the phone is certainly a good direction, and the 6s was measurably better than the 6 and prior phones (surviving 10s of minutes when submerged in a few inches of water, but only a minute or two in a pool, according to some tests).  Very useful to many to have the iPhone survive a quick fall into water.  And just as well to keep the information like this relatively low key.

Less beneficial to the majority is trying to make a phone "waterproof" - unless the technology to get there doesn't have significant compromises on space/cost/yield.  Terming something like this "waterproof" in today's world simply invites untold thousands to attempt to break that, either for the sheer publicity of it, or in order to generate a lawsuit.  Is taking your portable phone / computer (purposefully) underwater really that important?

The only Apple device which should move towards being as waterproof as possible is the Apple Watch, as there are many legitimate use cases for having a fitness tracker / time piece / wearable be worn in the water.
  • Reply 52 of 59
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    sog35 said:
    msantti said:

Learn to take care of your things. I've never needed a water proof phone.  Water proofing just adds bulk to the phone that 99.9% of the population don't need.  The iPhones are already water resistant and can be in a couple of feet of water for a few seconds. Only .0001% need a phone that can go swimming with them.

So I'm an apologist for not wanted a feature that very few want?
    You seem like the apologist for Samsung. What next? A water proof laptop?
    Interesting fact - 90-95% of phones sold in Japan are waterproof.

Waterproofing does not add bulk.

Rain, steam, humidity, dust, dirt, fog, drizzle, snow, sleet, spilled drinks, pools, sinks, toilets, children.  Given that water damage is the second largest single reason (24%) for iPhone damage, I would say that 99.9 % of the population could do with a waterproof phone.
    webweasel
  • Reply 53 of 59
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    "The publication says whispers that Apple would introduce a new waterproof composite material..."

Maybe I'm missing something here but isn't metal already waterproof?

It's all the ports, speakers, buttons etc. that are the entry through the metal that are the issue.
  • Reply 54 of 59
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    cnocbui said:
    Interesting fact - 90-95% of phones sold in Japan are waterproof.

Interesting fact: ISO 2281 standard for water resistance states that the word 'waterproof' is prohibited. Instead, devices are rated for depth of submersion for a duration of time. Repeated immersion can also affect the amount of actual water resistance.
  • Reply 55 of 59
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    msantti said:
    sog35 said:

Some water resistance is welcome but diving quality "water proof"? Not really. Hell even my Rolex says water "resistant", granted that's to 200 m but still: "resistant". 

Oh and "calling Apple out" on a seven month out fantasy list from an independent  reporter is just silly and rightfully (IMHO)  pushed back on..
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 56 of 59
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    cnocbui said:
    sog35 said:

Oh - and the S7 Edge is only 0.4mm thicker than the 6S+ and is a whopping 35g lighter and has 30% more battery capacity - and it is noticeably smaller.

So does the Galaxy S7 and iPhone 6S have feature parity, otherwise? Do they match up spec for spec, and in actual use case scenarios?

In particular considering Android's history with battery life, I'm wondering if that 30% battery capacity is required just to get something close to the 6S battery life.
  • Reply 57 of 59
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    mac_128 said:
    cnocbui said:

So does the Galaxy S7 and iPhone 6S have feature parity, otherwise? Do they match up spec for spec, and in actual use case scenarios?

In particular considering Android's history with battery life, I'm wondering if that 30% battery capacity is required just to get something close to the 6S battery life.
    I'll wait until Anandtech have tested one for a definitive assessment, but I was mostly going on those two phones having the same screen sizes, though the S7 Edge has 1440 x 2560 pixels and 6.6% less physical volume and is 35g lighter.  The S7E probably has slightly lower single core numbers, higher multi-core numbers and higher GPU scores.  The 6s+ has 3D touch while the S7E doesn't

As for specs, the S7E seems to have some the 6S Plus can't match: Better looking, dual SIM, up to 232 GB of storage.  Near SSD speed UFS 2.0 memory system.  Wireless charging, fast charging.  I suspect the battery life will be the same or better.  It has a much better camera. Always-on notification screen/clock. The S7E looks like being about $25 more expensive than the 64Gb 6S+.  In a couple months it will probably be $75 or so cheaper.
  • Reply 58 of 59
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    Well I'm sure they'll make a lightning to 3.5mm adapter. For $39.