Apple Pencil navigation returns to iPad Pro with iOS 9.3 beta 5

Posted:
in iPad
As promised, beta testers can once again use the Apple Pencil to navigate on iPad Pro with the latest build of iOS 9.3, with functionality restored before the software is released to the public.

With iOS 9.3 beta 5, scrolling once again works fine in any app, as does palm rejection.

The first four betas of iOS 9.3 severely limited the capabilities of the Apple Pencil, removing the ability to scroll or open links or apps. Users who remained on earlier builds of iOS on the iPad Pro continued to be able to accomplish those functions with Apple's official smart stylus.

The absence of navigation support in the first four iOS 9.3 betas led to speculation that Apple was potentially planning to remove the capabilities in an upcoming software update. But last week Apple responded and revealed that the functionality was due to be restored --?a promise the company delivered on with Tuesday's release of iOS 9.3 beta 5.

The $99 Apple Pencil first began shipping last year, intended to serve primarily as a drawing and writing tool. But it also doubles as a stylus for navigating the device, including on the home screen, in menus, within third-party apps and when browsing the Web in Safari.

Apple said it temporarily removed Pencil's ability to act as a finger replacement as it works to refine such functionality.

While the Apple Pencil can once again be used to scroll and open items, there are still some navigation functions that cannot be accomplished with the Apple Pencil. These are mostly relegated to edge-of-screen gestures, like invoking Control Center, Slide Over, and Notification Center.

For a full list of Apple Pencil's capabilities and limitations, see AppleInsider's feature detailing what you can and cannot do with the accessory.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Interesting. Good to see Apple responding to a bit of feedback. It seems a pain in the rear to adjust your drawing/pointing posture just to use UI elements when the pencil itself is a perfectly good pointing device. 
  • Reply 2 of 10
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    djsherly said:
    It seems a pain in the rear to adjust your drawing/pointing posture

I never did and still don't understand the logic here. First of all, you have a second hand you can use to interact with the UI while you're using the Pencil. Second, when I write on my dry erase board I usually use a finger tip to wipe away mistakes as I write or draw - it doesn't take any effort whatsoever to move from pen tip to finger tip. It's literally a fraction of a second.

Let's not also forget that when the device detects the Pencil is being used, it doubles the scan rate, which would cause higher battery drain.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    mjtomlin said:
    djsherly said:

I never did and still don't understand the logic here. First of all, you have a second hand you can use to interact with the UI while you're using the Pencil. Second, when I write on my dry erase board I usually use a finger tip to wipe away mistakes as I write or draw - it doesn't take any effort whatsoever to move from pen tip to finger tip. It's literally a fraction of a second.

Let's not also forget that when the device detects the Pencil is being used, it doubles the scan rate, which would cause higher battery drain.
    You mean you sometimes don't hold the iPad with 1 hand/arm while drawing with the other. I'm left handed for example, and so I use my left hand to move around on the screen. To me trying to use my right hand to do something else sucks in comparison to using me left hand. In effect, I'd have to put the pencil down, use my finger to do something else and then pick up the pencil once again. To me that sounds DUMB! The pencil is already in your hand and a extension of you, and should work just as well, if not better then using your finger. You are trying too hard to make up weak excuses!!! That's some Apple blindness you really have. Even Apple could see the issue.
    mobius
  • Reply 4 of 10
    This is good news.  Thanks for confirming. 
  • Reply 5 of 10
    friedmudfriedmud Posts: 165member
    "While the Apple Pencil can once again be used to scroll and open items, there are still some navigation functions that cannot be accomplished with the Apple Pencil. These are mostly relegated to edge-of-screen gestures, like invoking Control Center, Slide Over, and Notification Center."

That is very much ON PURPOSE.  With the way it is now you can draw/write all the way to the edge of the screen/edge of the app in multitasking.  It would be TERRIBLE if every time you got close to the edge of the screen with the Pencil the notification center would jump out or slide over would pull out.  I use the Pencil all day every day (used it for about 6 hours straight this afternoon) and it is perfect the way it is.

Apple knows what they're doing here.
    mobius
  • Reply 6 of 10
    mrrmrr Posts: 69member
    Great news! Now Apple, please bring the Pencil to all iPads _AND_ the iPhone!
  • Reply 7 of 10
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Thank you apple for listening!
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Neil, you'd better acknowledge this in this week's podcast!!
  • Reply 9 of 10
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    jbdragon said:
    mjtomlin said:
    djsherly said:

You mean you sometimes don't hold the iPad with 1 hand/arm while drawing with the other. I'm left handed for example, and so I use my left hand to move around on the screen. To me trying to use my right hand to do something else sucks in comparison to using me left hand. In effect, I'd have to put the pencil down, use my finger to do something else and then pick up the pencil once again. To me that sounds DUMB! The pencil is already in your hand and a extension of you, and should work just as well, if not better then using your finger. You are trying too hard to make up weak excuses!!! That's some Apple blindness you really have. Even Apple could see the issue.
    If battery drain is an issue, no-one is FORCING people to point with the Pencil.  I agree that it's a nice option.  I find that sometimes I tap with the Pencil, mostly with a finger.  But why the hell not allow tapping the Pencil as a possibility when it is so easy to just give people groups what they want.  Want to use your finger, use it.  Want to tap with Pencil, go for it.  Unless someone is some sort of OCD purist, I cannot fathom why they would care about an extra option being available.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Check out the latest update and its features iOS 9.3 Beta 5

edited March 2016