ACLU, other pro-privacy groups submit amicus briefs in support of Apple in encryption debate

Posted:
in General Discussion
The American Civil Liberties Union and two smaller pro-privacy organizations, Access Now and Wickr Foundation, have reportedly submitted amicus briefs supporting Apple in its refusal to help unlock the iPhone of San Bernardino shooter Syed Farook.

"Law enforcement may not commandeer innocent third parties into becoming its undercover agents, its spies, or its hackers," the ACLU said in a draft of its brief, according to Reuters. This would subvert both the privacy and security of Americans, the organization argued, echoing views expressed by Apple.

Access Now and Wickr Foundation filed a joint brief, warning that protection from data intrusion can be vital in some parts of the world.

"In some countries reliable security tools such as encryption can be the difference between life and death," the groups said. "The relief sought by the government endangers people globally who depend on robust digital security for their physical safety and wellbeing."

Major tech firms Google, Facebook, Microsoft, and Twitter are eventually expected to file their own amicus briefs. Salihin Kondoker, the husband of a San Bernardino survivor, filed his own amicus on Monday, suggesting that Farook's phone is unlikely to have any valuable data.

The FBI has asked that Apple build a tool to circumvent the passcode limit on Farook's phone, since the device is set to auto-erase its contents once that limit is hit. Apple has repeatedly claimed that this would undermine the security of all iOS devices, particularly since it would set a legal precedent in the U.S. and abroad.

On March 22, Magistrate Judge Sheri Pym is due to review her court order asking Apple to help the FBI. Apple is looking to vacate the order, and has contended that the U.S. Congress should decide if a company can be made to break security, not courts.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Well argued, that looks like an important contribution.
    dasanman69jbdragonlatifbp
  • Reply 2 of 14
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Exactly. If the FBI wants in, let them try. Don't force private entities to hack its own users. 
    dasanman69jbdragonmagman1979
  • Reply 3 of 14
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    jungmark said:
    Exactly. If the FBI wants in, let them try. Don't force private entities to hack its own users. 
    The lack of applicability of the All Writs Act to these circumstances is exactly what Judge Orenstein ruled very energetically about in his recent rejection of a similar DoJ request of Apple in a Brooklyn drug case.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Apple read the tea leaves wrong. It really doesn't want Congress to decide privacy over security issues. Neither do its customers. 
  • Reply 5 of 14
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    Apple read the tea leaves wrong. It really doesn't want Congress to decide privacy over security issues. Neither do its customers. 
    Actually, Apple wants Congress to be involved as it will end up with Congress to solve it anyway. It won't necessarily win the day, but it will at least get a fair hearing on it, based on what we have seen so far. 
    pscooter63nolamacguy
  • Reply 6 of 14
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Even if the Congress came up with something, its constitutionality will get challenged by one side or the other (whoever feels like his side of the argument is getting short-changed). It will end up having to get decided by the SCOTUS.

But I suppose it makes sense to stall and try these other approaches (e.g., Congress) so as to buy time until we get a full court of nine justices.
    jbdragonmagman1979nolamacguy
  • Reply 7 of 14
    And the bandwagon keeps getting fuller.

The rest of you sitting on the fence should hurry up and add your support. If you're late to the party you just look like another "me-too" supporter. The ones with balls will declare support for Apple early on, and with authority (none of this "soft" support BS).
    magman1979
  • Reply 8 of 14
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Even if the Congress came up with something, its constitutionality will get challenged by one side or the other (whoever feels like his side of the argument is getting short-changed). It will end up having to get decided by the SCOTUS.

But I suppose it makes sense to stall and try these other approaches (e.g., Congress) so as to buy time until we get a full court of nine justices.

Here is the problem Congress who is loaded with Lawyer pass laws every year which are over turned and they knowing pass them so they look good to the public as they are doing something.  This will end in the same place with gun laws, today Congress is so afraid to touch the subject which is good for people.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

Congress would "stall" the person that are most aggressive in wanting to crack privacy/security, the government's own employees.
    So, if they took care of it there is a good chance that it would take a while to get to the supreme court and even if it got there, it would not be an all encompassing decision since it would be more likely to be restricted to a particular case (because courts are influenced by the precedent of legislation even though in theory they're not).
  • Reply 10 of 14
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    maestro64 said:

Here is the problem Congress who is loaded with Lawyer pass laws every year which are over turned and they knowing pass them so they look good to the public as they are doing something.  This will end in the same place with gun laws, today Congress is so afraid to touch the subject which is good for people.
    On the record now is Ornstein's opinion that absent a Congressional action the DoJ CANNOT use the All Writs Act of 1789 for this purpose. So absent Congressional action the FBI is SOL unless and until the Supreme Court weighs in is : A) Pym doesn't change her ruling and B) others side with Pym's original view versus Orenstein. Though Pym had not heard Apple's view before issuing her initial ruling so there's a chance, and she did extend the response window.... were the lower courts in agreement that the All Writs Act of 1789 doesn't apply SCOTUS won't get involved.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Who should decide this, if not the representatives of the people (Congress) in a representative democracy (USA)?
    pscooter63
  • Reply 12 of 14
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Anyone remember this sworn oath?:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States,
    and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Apparently, neither does this president (not to mention the previous one).
    edited March 2016 latifbp
  • Reply 13 of 14
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Here's a timely article concerning another company who refused/cannot unlock messages that law enforcement demanded. In this case it involves the jailing of a Facebook employee for not complying with a court order to produce WhatsApp messages.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/03/brazil-frees-facebook-exec-arrested-over-whatsapp-data-linked-to-drug-case/
  • Reply 14 of 14
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Anyone remember this sworn oath?:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States,
    and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Apparently, neither does this president (not to mention the previous one).
    Good call, Spammie.  I think when they swear the oath, they have one hand on the Bible and the other hand behind their back with their fingers crossed.