BMW plans self-driving software overhaul to fend off the likes of Apple, Google

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    this topic makes me insane on these message boards. Apple may be building something like a car, but it may or may not drive itself. Apple will likely find the Foxconn of cars and buy them and their abilities... retool it and staff it. Apple will likely not bother with the Union drama holding the US back in its other manufacturing spheres and will build these machines offshore. Apple has recently begun to build out its business in India and China has proven its talent in assembling things. Contrary to what these manufacturers seem to be telling the public or asserting in defense of an Apple Car. Cars are pretty easy to build. Because they're not built. They're assembled. Any idiot can work on the GM line and put seatbelts in all day long 8 hours a day... for 75k and benefits forever. This model SHOULD be broken. Sure some will starve but it will be for the greater good. You have to have an engineering degree to assemble an iPhone. Which is why they're not assembled here. Its dumb to assume the worlds most profitable company can't use its wealth to manifest any thing it wants.... For even more proof all you need to do is look at the Apple TV. Apple didn't build an UHD unit with apple TV baked inside because theres no money in it. If you think they're building a car that will sit on a lot that isn't green and that is or has anything in common with a Chevy or a Honda - you're an idiot. What it wants and how it convinces the Public that it will want it too are unknown. To the comment about "driverless" cars being 15 years away I suggest you Test Drive a Tesla and speak to the salesperson off record because I recently rode in the passenger seat of a model S and the "driver" was the car. It merged, parked, dodged and navigated itself all under the guise of smart DIMINISHING marketing and did awesome on route 95 to Boston from just outside NYC. The top end of its range. Sure it was little scary merging onto the pike and dealing with tolls (and in those instances my friend stopped texting to take back over). Its already here and the govt will be coddled and lied to so the carmakers can have their way. And thats the way it should be. Our government is broken and the Public is stupid. Sure TESLA says officially that this is beyond the capability but they have to say that. The country will change its laws and when insurance companies begin to understand that they're the industry that stands to lose the most money thats where the obstruction will begin.. but thats a losing battle too because no one like the insurance companies. When car accidents don't happen anymore and people both don't own their cars but have direct and convent access to them Liberty Mutual and All State will go out of business.... They're just not aware yet that AD is in fact the greatest "disrupter" of all time. There are at least 3 major "generic" automotive manufacturers that build complicated parts for all the ca companies. It doesn't take a great leap of thought to connect the dots that this is end stage nonsense. The devil is in the design. Thankfully Tesla has made all those first mistakes so Apple won't have too.
    Glad to see all this research going into self-driving cars, but I still think we're WAY off from actually seeing them available for regular drivers on real roads.  Probably another 15 years at least.
    Easily 15 years. Liability laws and various traffic- and driving-related regulations have to be changed first, one state at a time. I also think that every taxi driver union (including Uber drivers, who will likely have unionized by then) will do everything possible to delay these laws from passing. 
  • Reply 42 of 43
    Bring your dashboard interface into the 21st century first, BMW. Heard of CarPlay?
    As far as I agree that BMW (and I drive subsequent one) has to improve interface I disagree with that 21 Century. a lot of this tabbed stuff is lacking basic ergonomics in design. Been seeing interfaces since Windows 3 (1990) while doing IT jobs until today. Fashionable does not mean practical and practical means contexts. In case of car it is fast and safe access during drive. BMW navigation entry is poor quality at best (Tom Tom with it's primitive is much more efficient). But computers at home do not need tabbed applications - big monitors are available. One screen app is design for mobile - not for complex systems of interactions in heavily multitasking environment. Designs have their contexts - not just fashion as I said. Think about this and do no follow fashion "enterprenurs" because it will change in few years and come back to normal after some people will relaize their mistakes.
  • Reply 43 of 43
    For the record, if you need to get from one point to another with no driving then talk with your local businesses - bus or train is for that and it is more efficient and more environment friendly in every aspect. Car is designed to be driven by human in any conditions, time and environment relyiong on human needs, thinking, skills and decisions that may change quickly.
    edited March 2016