Just in time for SXSW, Apple Maps transit directions launch in Austin

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2016
Days before the South by Southwest festival is set to kick off, Apple Maps has added public transit information to the host town of Austin, Tex., benefitting the tens of thousands who will descend upon the city.

Multiple AppleInsider readers reached out on Tuesday to reveal the silent update added by Apple. Austin marks the first added city since Apple launched transit directions in Los Angeles, Calif., last December.

SXSW 2016 kicks off this Friday in Austin, and runs through March 20.

In terms of city availability, data remains extremely limited in Apple Maps when compared to competitors such as Google Maps. When it launched with iOS 9 last year, Apple Maps transit was available in Baltimore, Berlin, Chicago, London, Mexico City, New York City, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Toronto, Washington D.C., and 30 cities in China, including Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen. Maps were also added to Boston and Sydney in October.

With transit, Apple Maps in iOS 9 offers routes, departure times and other relevant data for buses, trains, ferries and other forms of public transportation. The solution is akin to Google Maps, which has for years provided users with transit routing tools.

In addition to local schedules, transit in Apple Maps gives users a top-down view of underground subway and train stations, a feature unique to Apple's service. Armed with track and time information, commuters can more efficiently plan their routes without getting lost. Further, data is customized for each location, meaning road signs are as they appear in real life.

Apple's Transit feature is made possible by technology gained through key acquisitions like HopStop and Embark, powered by a multitude of data sources specific to each supported location.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Not showing on my Maps. I have the most recent iOS, even tried a reboot. Nothing. I have an iPhone 4s, but that shouldn’t make a difference.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I used transit while in Chicago last week. It worked great.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    I should mention I live in Austin…
  • Reply 4 of 12
    This surprises me that the first city in the South they chose was Austin. It is still nice to see maps adding transit finally, but there is still fewer cities then weeks after Apple maps transit was added, also noting that there are several cities that are missing more importantly then Austin(at least IMO).
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Not showing on my Maps. I have the most recent iOS, even tried a reboot. Nothing. I have an iPhone 4s, but that shouldn’t make a difference.
    It works for me (also an Austin resident).
  • Reply 6 of 12
    This surprises me that the first city in the South they chose was Austin. It is still nice to see maps adding transit finally, but there is still fewer cities then weeks after Apple maps transit was added, also noting that there are several cities that are missing more importantly then Austin(at least IMO).
    Well Austin is easy to implement- One train line and simple bus system. Easy to do and show off for SXSW.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    I think the point is that SXSW is just about to start, so it will get more publicity.

Which reminds me, as much as the idea of even entering Texas* gives me nausea, I really would love to go to SXSW one of these years.  Alas, it's probably one of those things that will keep being put off until one day I'm dying and thinking of all the stuff I meant to do. :(

* -- To be fair, it's not just Texas.  That goes for anywhere south of the Mason-Dixon Line.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    prolineproline Posts: 222member
    At this rate my city should get Apple Maps transit within 200 years. Good thing I've got Google.  
    djkfisher
  • Reply 9 of 12
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Still a big fan of Transit app, since it already covers many more cities, including the city where I live, and even tells me of nearby transport stops. I have no vested interest in this app, except as a user. Free without advertising is also a great price :)
    edited March 2016 lostkiwi
  • Reply 10 of 12
    djkfisherdjkfisher Posts: 131member
    Seriously, Apple has better things to do, drop maps and go back to Google Maps which is a superior product.

Some times you just have to face the facts....
  • Reply 11 of 12
    sessamoidsessamoid Posts: 182member
    What surprises you? SXSW is one of the major media events in the country every year.

In addition, Apple also has a significant presence in Austin, and it's the most important high-tech city in the South/Southwest.
    aaronj
  • Reply 12 of 12
    SBSW would be fun. Too bad it's in Tex-ass.
    I wouldn't waste the miles to go to that wasteland.