Apple Music partner Sonos to layoff employees, renew focus on streaming and voice control

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Love Sonos, have 12 units now and planning on a couple more.  Also have a lot of home automation equipment. Hate the idea of voice control for it though; you have to get people to think through the idea of scenes and plan moods to make it transformational.

although in some ways being able to say "I am reading by the fireplace, could you turn up the lights" would be nicer than planning out a JSON for the same function.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Echo is so good at speech recognition because there are actual people on the other end listening in on everything you say 24/7. Haven't you noticed sniggering voices coming from Echo when you are making love to your wife? 
    The only laughing I hear is from her!
  • Reply 23 of 28
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    gatorguy said:
    In my view Amazon has gotten a leg up on competing home control services from Apple or Google. They've made a few recent "Alexa" partnerships including Ecobee, Spotify and even Google's own Nest. My guess is Sonos will officially announce as a partner soon. 

Amazon has done an admirable job with their voice and control features so far based on every review I've read and being a multi-platform player has huge benefits.
    To bad Amazon's Encryption, lack of STINKS!! I'm sure the FBI loves them!!! Nice Mic array that can be used to spy on anyone they want without much effort.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    jbdragon said:
    gatorguy said:
    In my view Amazon has gotten a leg up on competing home control services from Apple or Google. They've made a few recent "Alexa" partnerships including Ecobee, Spotify and even Google's own Nest. My guess is Sonos will officially announce as a partner soon. 

Amazon has done an admirable job with their voice and control features so far based on every review I've read and being a multi-platform player has huge benefits.
    To bad Amazon's Encryption, lack of STINKS!! I'm sure the FBI loves them!!! Nice Mic array that can be used to spy on anyone they want without much effort.
    Due to customer complaints Amazon is restoring encryption with the next update according to a recent article. 
  • Reply 25 of 28
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    dysamoria said:
    "Lay off". Not "layoff". 
    When did you last check a dictionary?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/layoff
  • Reply 26 of 28
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:

Have you purchased and used one of these devices?

If not then your opinion does not matter. Neither does the opinions of those 'reviews' on Amazon.  I know first hand that many of those 'reviews' are actually done by Amazon employees.  

I do agree that Apple/Tim Cook has been horrible at moving HomeKit forward. 
    Your hypocrisy is gob-smacking!

You haven't purchased a Galaxy S7 but you sure have opinions about it.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 27 of 28
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    dachar said:
    I have had a Sonos system for many years. In many ways they have a similar outlook to Apple. They have sold good quality equipment backed up by excellent customer service. It seems that for years they have had the market for wireless music eco systems almost to themselves but I have noticed that recently a number of big players have entered thier market. I do hope they continue to sell and invest in wireless speaker systems.
    I probably would have bought a system if they supported AirPlay.    They're just a little too arrogant about their systems.sirlance99 said:
    sog35 said:
    Have you purchased and used one of these devices?

If not then your opinion does not matter. Neither does the opinions of those 'reviews' on Amazon.  I know first hand that many of those 'reviews' are actually done by Amazon employees.  

I do agree that Apple/Tim Cook has been horrible at moving HomeKit forward. 
    I do and agree with them. It's excellent. It's OK to have some other company be better than Apple at a couple of things. Apple isn't the best in every category. Most but not all. 
    When you pay the premium for Apple products you should get if not the best product but a atleast a product pretty darn close to its competitors.    Seems like nearly everything software related SIRI, MAPS, HOMEKIT, etc from Apple are really lacking (not bad but just not as good as they should be).    Apple needs a Software guy at the top.  The board should bring back Craig Forestall or hire someone that has a software related background.   Tim Cook is just a bean counter. Ive's designs have been going down hill since Jobs died.   Apple Watch will probably be down this year now that the initial first year sales are over.    Maybe it will be a worthwhile product in 4-5 years but for the most part its been a distraction from making progress in other things like HOMEKIT and getting the iPad Pro out earlier.