AppleInsider podcast talks Apple v. the FBI, steps to encrypt your iPhone & files

Posted:
in General Discussion
This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Shane and Victor look at the latest new developments in the FBI's conflict with Apple, and its impact within US politics. They also touch on the history of encryption and steps you can take to encrypt your own iPhone and files.

Apple iPhone passcode entry.

AppleInsider editors Shane Cole and Victor Marks go free form once again, chatting about:

• FBI vs Apple
  • California bill requiring any encrypted phone to be backdoored
  • Eddy Cue and the potential of being required to remotely enable the camera and microphone to spy on you
  • Tips! Securely back up your iPhone
  • Tips 2! Securely use disk images with DropBox
  • FBI vs Apple a wedge issue for US voters?
  • Tim Cook attends the American Enterprise Forum, discusses an end to Trump's presidential hopes

The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.

Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:

The show is also available on Stitcher Radio.

Show note links:

Check out the deals! Deals: 32GB T-Mobile iPhone 5s for $19/month; $300 off 15" MacBook Pro; $100 iTunes Card for $80; Unlocked iPhone 5s for $269

Proposed Senate bill penalizing resistance to decryption requests nears completion, could be introduced next week

California Assembly considers bill to mandate encryption backdoors

Eddy Cue says FBI could force Apple to secretly activate iPhone camera, microphone if precedent is set

How to securely back up your iPhone or iPad with encryption via iTunes

Apple CEO Tim Cook attends secret meeting with tech and government elite to plot end to Trump presidential run

Apple, FBI battle a wedge issue for American voters, poll shows

Follow our hosts on Twitter: @shanecole and @vmarks.

Feedback and comments are always appreciated. Please contact the AppleInsider podcast at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider.

Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at [email protected].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    I listened with pleasure to your podcast today. I was amazed that I know something you guys don't know! Too bad it isn't too important.... Knox is no longer supported. 

I tried to have a client buy Knox from AgileBits last week and couldn't find it on their website. We e-mailed Agilebits and got this reply: 

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Subject: Re: XXXX Question about Knox

Date: March 7, 2016 at 7:22:36 AM CST

To: XXXX

Hi John,

Knox is actually not currently available for sale. Our developer focus is almost entirely on the 1Password for Teams beta right now, and will be for the next while, so further Knox development is not really happening at this time. This might change in the future, but it seemed unfair to continue selling it if it is not under development at the moment. We are very sorry for any inconvenience this causes.

Thanks.

---

Andrew Costen

Support Hero @ AgileBits

https://support.1password.com

How nice was my reply?  http://www.nicereply.com/agilebits/andrew/648485

On Sun, 06 Mar 2016, XXXX wrote:

I have downloaded your Knox for Mac and when I got to Buy Knox in the menu

I get sent to the web page where I can buy 1Password. That’s a great

program but I want Knox.

Do you continue to support Knox? Do you sell it? How can I get a license?

Or have you made it free? ;-)

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

So now you know. 

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

With Thanks, 

Bill Geraci  (jer-AW-see)
    Office Technology Coordinator
    Divinity School 
    University of Chicago
    Rm. 008
    Fac Ex: D23 S008
    1025 E. 58th St.
    Chicago, IL 60637
    773-834-1844
    Fax: 773-702-6048

I see my work as helping people to understand. And when I say understand, I mean understand and be able to do. More. Better.