Adobe's Experience Design CC for Mac looks to simplify app, Web UX and prototyping

Posted:
in Mac Software edited March 2016
Developed under the name "Project Comet," Adobe on Monday announced an early release version of Experience Design (XD), a mobile app and webpage user experience and prototyping tool boasting a streamlined interface, hooks into Adobe's line of CC products and numerous preview options.




The preview, open to anyone with an Adobe ID, allows users a streamlined path to creating a design-forward mobile app or webpage mockup that can be shared with developers or clients. A purpose-built app, XD packs in powerful tools to facilitate fast prototyping with professional results.

Adobe XD includes a number of tools for quick graphics layouts, with user interface assets built in for today's major mobile operating systems, including iOS, Android and Windows Phone. For example, the app comes with fonts, buttons, images and color palettes built-in, leaving the user free to experiment with different dynamic layouts.

In a demonstration, it took Adobe's Andrew Shorten about ten minutes to build an iOS app mockup complete with graphics, text, links, transitions and more. Starting with a blank canvas users can compose individual panes and fill the predefined work area with a host of graphical assets, including titles, text bodies, lists, maps and images.

With XD, Adobe is looking to simplify the prototyping process through the use of intelligent software tools. Using image insertion as an example, XD uses a drag-and-drop auto-masking image box that requires far fewer steps to mask out an image than manually inserting, measuring and masking. Other improvements include auto-populating lists, an integrated vector graphics system and support for Adobe Illustrator CC and Photoshop CC files.

In addition, the large workspace provides ample area for wire-framing, or linking certain onscreen assets to different app or Web panes. To create wireframes, users simply draw a wire from one point, such as an interactive button or image, to a second page. The app features a tool to mimic commonly used transitions like page slides for a more immersive evaluation experience.




Among the various viewing options is a dedicated prototype mode useful for testing out interactive hotspots like buttons, while a desktop preview mode that displays changes in real-time allows for dynamic A/B testing. Users also have the option to post a fully-functional prototype to the Web, which can be shared for remote assessment.

Adobe XD CC is available for Mac users as a free download from Adobe's website. The company expects to release a shipping version later this year, with companion apps for iOS and Android, deeper Photoshop CC and Illustrator CC integration, and support for other Creative Cloud assets planned for future iterations.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 14
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 4,984member
    Played with this a while today. Pretty cool, although not a ton of features. 
  • Reply 2 of 14
    slurpy said:
    Played with this a while today. Pretty cool, although not a ton of features. 
    How does it compare to Sketch 3?
  • Reply 3 of 14

    Companion app for iOS? I wonder if I'll be able to prototype iOS apps on the iPhone or iPad. That would really be cool.

    Ultimately, if I could develop iOS apps on an iOS device, I would be really happy.

  • Reply 4 of 14
    binkbink Posts: 4member
    Pretty cool for a first version. Freaking fast and snappy compared to other Adobe apps, seriously surprising, feels like a modern app. Clearly aimed at getting the Sketch crowd back, and the roadmap seems to indicate they really picked up the trend of these prototyping tools(not just Sketch), taking on Invision as well. Looking forward to the competition heating up. They have a long way to go in terms of features, but I'm pretty sure they're going to be on par in the future.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 5 of 14
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,173member
    No thanks. Adobe, never again.
    mainyehcpscooter63
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Not bad so far, but there is a long way to go before it has all the features it needs... and after being burned several times by adobe dropping apps, i'm a little cautious 
  • Reply 7 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 17,180member
    Mac first ... from Adobe?  Is Hell dozen over this morning?

    Having played with it for a while I was disappointed that all I can import into Muse CC is a picture even text, nothing is editable.  It would be nice if the final prototype came in as usable not just a template.  Hopefully I am missing something!
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 8 of 14
    rwesrwes Posts: 151member
    I had recently uninstalled Creative Cloud and Illustrator; went with a different, but capable (and cheap) enough (for my needs) vector graphics software. Was going to try this, but it requires Creative Cloud be installed again.
    :neutral: 
    For me, I'll just have to read the reviews (and check out the screen shots)...
    edited March 2016 mainyehc
  • Reply 9 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 17,180member
    rwes said:
    I had recently uninstalled Creative Cloud and Illustrator; went with a different, but capable (and cheap) enough (for my needs) vector graphics software. Was going to try this, but it requires Creative Cloud be installed again.
    :neutral: 
    For me, I'll just have to read the reviews (and check out the screen shots)...
    Affinity?  
    mainyehcargonautthepixeldoc
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Speaking of Affinity, I really don't get why AI doesn't focus at all on the huge news of the day:

    https://affinity.serif.com/blog/affinity-is-coming-to-windows/

    Is it because it involves Windows? I, for one, have seen enough articles about the Surface on this site to know that when Windows-related announcements are relevant, they warrant a mention here… And I am dead sure that a Windows port of both an Apple Design Award-winning app/MAS app of the year runner-up and a MAS-featured app, which will turn them into cross-platform industry standards instead of just niche products, is one of those cases.

    So, the question now is: are you going to stay mum on the subject and pander to the 800lb incumbent gorilla, or are you going to shine a well-deserved spotlight on Serif and publish a front page article on them as well?
    edited March 2016 argonautfastasleepthepixeldoc
  • Reply 11 of 14
    BlasterBlaster Posts: 97member
    nitrokev said:
    Not bad so far, but there is a long way to go before it has all the features it needs... and after being burned several times by adobe dropping apps, i'm a little cautious 
    Too bad Adobe is not Apple, then they could get a free pass for missing features and dropping products.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 3,506member
    Blaster said:
    nitrokev said:
    Not bad so far, but there is a long way to go before it has all the features it needs... and after being burned several times by adobe dropping apps, i'm a little cautious 
    Too bad Adobe is not Apple, then they could get a free pass for missing features and dropping products.
    What free pass is that?  Didn't you see the Internet meltdown when they butchered Pages?
  • Reply 13 of 14
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,767member
    mainyehc said:
    Speaking of Affinity, I really don't get why AI doesn't focus at all on the huge news of the day:

    https://affinity.serif.com/blog/affinity-is-coming-to-windows/

    Is it because it involves Windows? I, for one, have seen enough articles about the Surface on this site to know that when Windows-related announcements are relevant, they warrant a mention here… And I am dead sure that a Windows port of both an Apple Design Award-winning app/MAS app of the year runner-up and a MAS-featured app, which will turn them into cross-platform industry standards instead of just niche products, is one of those cases.

    So, the question now is: are you going to stay mum on the subject and pander to the 800lb incumbent gorilla, or are you going to shine a well-deserved spotlight on Serif and publish a front page article on them as well?
    I hope that the move to Windows doesn't delay Affinity Publisher's release. It's already been pushed back.

    They really need to complete their suite, and then start to add in the missing pro features.
Sign In or Register to comment.