Imagination Technologies says cost & job cuts linked to slower iPhone sales

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    tmay said:
    ksec said:
    MIPS is exactly the reason why IMG are layering off. MIPS is doing pants. Most router are switching, or has a roadmap switching to ARM. even Multimedia players etc. Anything that has 30% to 50% same functionalities of a smartphone are switching to ARM.

I wish IMG could just open up the design, OpenRSIC is basically MIPS.
    Thanks,

I suspected as much.
    Except it's. Actually not really. They are laying off staff because the previous CEO went a bit bonkers buying businesses that wasted time and lost money. The current layoffs are to get rid of these areas. 

It really doesn't take much effort to check this stuff. But it's easier to pipe up without checking I guess. 
    lostkiwisingularity
  • Reply 22 of 28
    This article is nonsense. There is no link to iPhone sales in the press release. Where IT may start to struggle is that Apple are rumoured to be producing their own designs based on IT tech in the same way they do with ARM. This would presumably attract a lower per unit licence to IT
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 23 of 28
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    sog35 said:
    Apple partners should be contractually bound to shut their pie holes.
    Maybe because Apple has a new vendor.

Apple should put in their vendor contracts that if they disclose information about Apple they would get fined $xxx amount.  Pretty standard stuff.
    Maybe we are about to get an Apple designed GPU. They certainly hired enough AMD engineers to go the DIY route. It is a cool thought, a GPU specifically designed to accelerate iOS and the apps used there.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,342member
    hammerd2 said:
    tmay said:
    Thanks,

I suspected as much.
    Except it's. Actually not really. They are laying off staff because the previous CEO went a bit bonkers buying businesses that wasted time and lost money. The current layoffs are to get rid of these areas. 

It really doesn't take much effort to check this stuff. But it's easier to pipe up without checking I guess. 
    You might want to post an appropriate link, being how easy it was to check and all. I didn't find much on MIPS at all, other than they were losing ground to ARM in Routers and stuff.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    rob53 said:
    Apple partners should be contractually bound to shut their pie holes.
    I thought they were. I guess nobody is afraid of Tim Cook like they were for Steve Jobs. Under Steve, these people (if they are even real) would have had their "pie holes" reamed out.
    Thanks for the insider info, clearly pulled out of your 'pie hole'
    singularity
  • Reply 26 of 28
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    The "news" company that invented, since its not in their press release, should be sued.

Those that disseminate this, like AI, that know this is likely false are ethically broken.
    Even rumors should be vetted for sanity, especially when based on an actual press release!
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 27 of 28
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    Isn't Apple a shareholder in Imagination?