2017 Escape coming in May as first Ford vehicle with Apple CarPlay

Posted:
in iPhone
Ford on Friday announced a May launch in Canada and the U.S. for the 2017 Escape, its first vehicle to support Apple CarPlay by way of the automaker's Sync 3 platform, based on BlackBerry's QNX.

The Escape, a sport-utility crossover, will simultaneously get support for Android Auto, Ford said. Other high-tech features will include Sync Connect, for remote control functions, and optional "driver-assist" mechanisms that can help with tasks like parking, staying in-lane, or maintaining proper distance from cars while on a highway.

Ford revealed plans to begin supporting CarPlay on all 2017 Sync 3 vehicles in January, but didn't say at the time when the first compatible model -- the Escape -- would actually go on sale. Owners of some 2016 vehicles with Sync 3 should also be able to use CarPlay through a forthcoming software update.

CarPlay bridges the iPhone interface, letting users control some iOS apps while driving without having to pick up their phone -- whether through Siri or a car's dash display.

The technology is now supported by over 100 2016- and 2017-model vehicles from many major car brands, as well as by some aftermarket dash units. It's still missing in many lower-cost vehicles though, and app support has lagged behind. Outside of Apple's own, the only compatible apps include iHeartRadio, MLB At Bat, Spotify, Stitcher, CBS Radio, Overcast, Audiobooks.com, Audible, Pandora, Slacker, VOX, and NPR One.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,904member
    Ford, better to be late than never. In my humble opinion now that phone connectivity (carplay,androidauto) is available; one must not buy new car/suv/etc without such feature built-in and software upgradeable. Typically, most people don’t replace car often, less than 10 years. So, why to live with for the next many years without such feature when available.Hope, car manufacturers in process of providing such feature also support wireless carplay. We all need to put pressure on auto makers/dealers to get off their laurels.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 2 of 5
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    My wish list for features sorely missing in today's car receivers: 1. Sufficient flash storage/hard drive and equipped with Wifi and syncs with iTunes when I'm parked at home. I don't have enough storage on my phone to contain much music and streaming isn't an option due to cellular data limits. I'd like to have my entire music library always available in my car. 2. A good user interface. 3. Decent flash drive support for music including playlists. Every unit that I have looked at has a horrible interface for navigating folders and presenting music lists.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Apple Car Play by way of Ford Sync based on Blackberry QNX. Sounds like a mess. Are there native Car Play solutions?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Downcast also supports CarPlay.  It is my favorite podcast application.

John
  • Reply 5 of 5
    linkman said:
    My wish list for features sorely missing in today's car receivers: 1. Sufficient flash storage/hard drive and equipped with Wifi and syncs with iTunes when I'm parked at home. I don't have enough storage on my phone to contain much music and streaming isn't an option due to cellular data limits. I'd like to have my entire music library always available in my car. 2. A good user interface. 3. Decent flash drive support for music including playlists. Every unit that I have looked at has a horrible interface for navigating folders and presenting music lists.
    Agree that internet streaming isn't yet practical in the car. However, I actually skipped the built-in storage option when I changed my car. I bought a second-hand 64GB iPod Touch that lives in the car instead. It's big enough for all my music (once down-coded to 256kb/s AAC) and it's portable: it can come to my computer or use WiFi to sync and move to a hire car if required. I see storage in the vehicle as an inflexible solution: it's fixed size, limited to one vehicle and may be outside of your WiFi range for updating. Moving vehicles is much easier with an iPod or just Bluetooth streaming from your iPhone (of some music) if you're in a strange car for a short period. I agree that this leaves you dependent on the car's user interface - and some are poor - but in the absence of CarPlay I suggest you look at BMW's interface, it has full iPod/iPhone music integration.