Apple cuts entry price of Apple Watch to $299

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    saarek said:
    Quite a few shops in the UK started discounting it a few weeks ago, so I suspect they were aware of the price drop.
    Target and Best Buy had $100 price drops already. Which puts them at a better more reasonable price point! It doesn't mean Apple is coming out with a new one any time soon. I don't expect a new Apple Watch until around this time next year!!! It's a watch. I expected a every other year upgrade cycle.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    josu said:

sog35 said:
    ain't going to happen son.  Sorry, you missed the train.
    I'm with you on this.
    well if it doesn't I win cuz i can invest in something else, if it does I win because I can ride its back to 100
  • Reply 23 of 33
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    josu said:
    welshdog said:
    Can someone tell me the last time Apple dropped the price of a device without also introducing a new or improved model of said device? Just curious.
    The first generation iPhone.
    That wasn't really a price drop. 
  • Reply 24 of 33
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    jfanning said:
    sog35 said:
    absolutely no reason to buy any other smart watch now.

How about, I don't own an iPhone

---

With a $399 super phone on the market, there's also no reason to not own an iPhone.
    It isn't $399, it has a local price of $750, add to that your Watch of $500. Works out to be an expensive combo
    singularity
  • Reply 25 of 33
    sog35 said:
    God this is so boring zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wake me up once the stock price has hit $90 again so I can buy back in
    ain't going to happen son.  Sorry, you missed the train.
    Did you hold onto your stock?  It's starting to slowly but surely make it's way back up.

I bought at $129 and sold at $94, so took a big hit.  Fortunately I bought TSLA at $164 at it's now at $238, so I'm just over break-even between the two transactions.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    welshdog said:
    Can someone tell me the last time Apple dropped the price of a device without also introducing a new or improved model of said device? Just curious.
    They dropped the original Iphone price this way in 2007; so it's kind of similar. New product, price adjustment after launch.

The adjustment is kinda small which means they probably were pretty much on target with their pricing.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    razorpit said:
    Not saying your point is invalid but Apple often quickly deprecates support for Gen 1 products such as this.  Look at how long the first iPad was supported (iOS 6 I believe) compared to the iPad 2 which runs iOS 9.  There is often a feature set improvement between gen 1 and 2, look at the differences between iPhone, iPhone 3G, and iPhone 3GS.

How long will Gen 1 be supported?  No one but Apple knows.  I was expecting a 1 year refresh and I was wrong.  Sources now appear to say 18 months.  Had I known then what I know now I might have taken that leap but being we are 12 months in to the cycle a small price reduction probably won't be enough to get us to purchase one so late in the game.  
    my point isn't that you should buy one now. my point is that even at the get-go people were saying "first gen sucks, i'll get second gen" etc. i dont think that makes sense -- when you buy second gen, you'll be outpaced by the feature set of the third, and so forth. (and yes, there were big diffs between iPhone 3GS and 3G -- video, speed, etc).

that the orig iPad made it to iOS 6 is proof that they aren't depreciated very quickly. in fact, iOS are known for their long lives. I've given each of my older devices to family & friends and theyre used.

as for when the second gen AW will be, no one knows. there are no sources than can confirm it at 18 mos or 24.
    I do think we'll see a new watch sooner rather than later.  FYI, I ended up buying one yesterday when I saw that Best Buy has them on sale an additional $50 below Apple's price.  For me that is the right value.  I'm willing to spend that money on current functionality that I know will probably be replaced come September.  I just hope Apple makes the bands backwards compatible or you are going to have a lot of upset people out there.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    JDP81 said:
    You mean it started at $399 :)
    38mm was 349.00 and 42mm was 399.00. 
  • Reply 29 of 33
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    foggyhill said:
    welshdog said:
    They dropped the original Iphone price this way in 2007; so it's kind of similar. New product, price adjustment after launch.

The adjustment is kinda small which means they probably were pretty much on target with their pricing.
    The original iPhone was totally different. Not to mention the price of the iPhone was subsidized by a two year carrier contract. 
  • Reply 30 of 33
    JimusJimus Posts: 1member
    razorpit said:
    Not saying your point is invalid but Apple often quickly deprecates support for Gen 1 products such as this.  Look at how long the first iPad was supported (iOS 6 I believe) compared to the iPad 2 which runs iOS 9.  There is often a feature set improvement between gen 1 and 2, look at the differences between iPhone, iPhone 3G, and iPhone 3GS.

How long will Gen 1 be supported?  No one but Apple knows.  I was expecting a 1 year refresh and I was wrong.  Sources now appear to say 18 months.  Had I known then what I know now I might have taken that leap but being we are 12 months in to the cycle a small price reduction probably won't be enough to get us to purchase one so late in the game.  
    my point isn't that you should buy one now. my point is that even at the get-go people were saying "first gen sucks, i'll get second gen" etc. i dont think that makes sense -- when you buy second gen, you'll be outpaced by the feature set of the third, and so forth. (and yes, there were big diffs between iPhone 3GS and 3G -- video, speed, etc).

that the orig iPad made it to iOS 6 is proof that they aren't depreciated very quickly. in fact, iOS are known for their long lives. I've given each of my older devices to family & friends and theyre used.

as for when the second gen AW will be, no one knows. there are no sources than can confirm it at 18 mos or 24.
    From Wikipedia: "The iPad originally shipped with iOS 3.2. On September 1, 2010"     
    "
    On June 11, 2012 it was announced that iOS 6 would not be released for the first generation iPad, with no explanation as to why, making iOS 5.1.1 the final operating system officially available for the device"  

iPad 1 is 100% the reason I have stayed away from the first gen apple watch.  They supported iPad 1 for less than 2 years and the iPad 2 is still supported .  I'm not sure how they got away with that.  
    razorpit
  • Reply 31 of 33
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    mac_128 said:
    foggyhill said:

The original iPhone was totally different. Not to mention the price of the iPhone was subsidized by a two year carrier contract. 
    No, it wasn't "totally different". It was priced to make money on the low end of expected sales. Sales far exceeded the worst-case projection, so they we able to drop the price accordingly due to economies of scale.

I'm pretty sure we're seeing the same phenomenon here. 

The subsidy is irrelevant, since the phone is bought off Apple at full price. Apple dropped the price. Full stop. 
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 32 of 33
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    spheric said:
    mac_128 said:
    No, it wasn't "totally different". It was priced to make money on the low end of expected sales. Sales far exceeded the worst-case projection, so they we able to drop the price accordingly due to economies of scale.

I'm pretty sure we're seeing the same phenomenon here. 

The subsidy is irrelevant, since the phone is bought off Apple at full price. Apple dropped the price. Full stop. 
    Nope.