Apple announces 4" iPhone SE with A9 CPU, same design as iPhone 5s, starting at $399

Comments

• Reply 61 of 101
    Dr_McrDr_Mcr Posts: 1member
    I thought the price of this was pretty good for those wanting a 6s in a smaller package. Then, I saw the front facing camera is just the 1.2 megapixel one, so all may not be as it seems
  • Reply 62 of 101
    trumptman said:
    Great product! I went nuts with my last iPhone 6s purchase but this is going to sell like gang busters. This is the perfect phone for the kids who now have hand-me-downs but the parents don't want to chip in several hundred more dollars across two or three new phones for said kids.

I don't care what people want to claim. Apple has to be feeling some pricing pressure. Samsung is leading the race to the bottom with these two for one S7 promotions everywhere. Apple responded in a good manner that can justify margins and helps stop the race to the bottom a bit.
    This is not a hand me down for kids replacement. Many, many people don't want the larger phones. It has little of nothing to do with affordability and more to do with form. 
    ration al
  • Reply 63 of 101
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    For one I loved the iPhone 5 design outside the sharp edges, so i'm not really upset they kept it. Secondly, they learned their lesson from the 5c, which was far too expensive with dated specs and a lousy materials. 

With carrier promos, and discounts and all that fun stuff, this phone could see prices of $300 or less throughout the year. This is the first budget iPhone i've seen with the least amount of compromises and should have some ripple effects across the industry. But that comes as a danger for Apple, who has now decided to play the low margins game for marketshare. Something every Apple fan thought would never come. 

In fact, this phone continues a trend Steve Jobs probably wouldn't approve of. Way too many dang iOS products in different sizes, and now we have discount products playing the middle tier of the market.

I also think people should check themselves on this board. If someone is on the market for a phone at a good price, the decision between what phone works best for them is still paramount. Screen size is still king, and in all my years of dealing with cellular customers, there are very few would drop a Moto X  with a 5.7" 1440P display with expandable memory at $400 for the iPhone SE, despite the better specs on the SE. Size matters and 4" market was ceded to Apple long time ago.

It remains to be seen if this erodes Android in emerging markets (price is still too high for that imo) or just makes Apple customers in the United States and developed countries happy (my hunch).
  • Reply 64 of 101
    If this thing doesn't have 2GB RAM that's a major fail. Especially with Apple wanting users to upgrade to the latest software all the time. iOS 9 requires more than 1GB RAM to run smoothly.
    Maybe not at that price point ? 
  • Reply 65 of 101
    apple ][ said:
    Another 4" model in 6 months? Another thing you're going to be wrong about. Mark my words. 
    Agreed. That's not going to happen.

There's not going to be another 4" iPhone anytime soon. The iPhone 5SE is already better than expected, in regards to power and features, and price.

Those people who wanted a smaller iPhone have gotten their wish.

This fall is going to be all about the iPhone 7. 
    Huh, well if logic prevails people will wait a few months to see what the 7 is all about before buying. Sadly, 4" hopefuls may need to buy regardless if only to convince Apple that there's a reason to make an even better 4" in the future. I hope Apple is simply testing the waters here to be certain because I think they know a flagship 4" phone with the right marketing will sell sell sell. 
    ration al
  • Reply 66 of 101
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    sog35 said:
    fallenjt said:
    Then make it a little thicker. Big deal! Apple did that for 6S, why not SE2 next year?
    just face it. You were wrong. Now you are trying to blame Apple since they didn't follow 'your plan'
    huh? Wrong of what? I didn't predict any 3-D touch on this 5SE? You're mistaken with someone's comment? My comment was if Apple want, they can fit 3-D Touch in 4" phone with a little thicker chassis. What's wrong with you lately? Lost too much on AAPL?
  • Reply 67 of 101
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    fallenjt said:

It's iPhone 5 chassis, not 6. People have been talking about 4" in iPhone 6 body. Refreshed 5S of course would never sell at $550.
    So now it's just a refresh but whenever someone calls an s model a refresh they get pummeled down with 'it's a totally different phone, only the shell is the same'. I'm quite enjoying all the back pedaling, and tune changing that's going on today. 
    what on earth are you talking about? for the flagship iPhones, S models (tock) are substantially different than the tick model. the SE is not a flagship phone. the design & engineering decisions for it are different and unique. its neither a tick nor a tock.

there is no back peddling or tune changing. that sounds like FUD nonsense to me.
    edited March 2016 bestkeptsecret
  • Reply 68 of 101
    shevshev Posts: 84member
    Weren't you supposed to disappear if Apple stock wasn't $200 or something by the start of 2016? Is that you?

EDIT: Never mind, I've just figured out how to put you on ignore. You're a blight on this forum.
    edited March 2016 singularity
  • Reply 69 of 101

sog35 said:

fallenjt said:

I posted it on 9to5Mac when I read the iPhone SE would be in 5S chassis and said that the price wouldn't be at $550. I have been talking about 4" iPhone 6 all along. Anyway, maybe this is new Apple's strategy or just one time deal to boost the sale for the next 2 quarters. I don't see this will be the trend for coming iPhone: selling it cheap.
    wow. you were so right. You said it would not be $550. Big friken deal.  Did you say it would be $399?  I don't think so.
    Huh? you must be smoking hard lately...shit...Bring back my comment that I was talking about this damn refreshed iPhone 5s. In fact, AI never had this information until a day before yesterday. AI blog was always on a fucking iPhone SE with assumed iPhone 6 chassis. 
  • Reply 70 of 101

sog35 said:
    BINGO.

The low price of $399 and the missing features ( 5 series shell, no 3D touch, no 128GB) makes it obvious that they will make a top tier 4 inch model in Sept.

Another 4" model in 6 months? Another thing you're going to be wrong about. Mark my words. 
    He doesn't know shit what he's talking about...pure uneducated guess!
  • Reply 71 of 101

sog35 said:
    apple ][ said:
    Agreed. That's not going to happen.

There's not going to be another 4" iPhone anytime soon. The iPhone 5SE is already better than expected, in regards to power and features, and price.

Those people who wanted a smaller iPhone have gotten their wish.

This fall is going to be all about the iPhone 7. 
    Yes. iPhone 7, 7+, and 7m.
    What about a bet on iPhone 7m...if there is one, I'll ban myself for 6 months on AI. Otherwise, you ban yourself? How many times did you get things wrong in the last 2 years and how many bets did you lose? So many, I believe.
  • Reply 72 of 101

sog35 said:
    people said the same thing about the SE. No way we are getting a new phone 6 months after the 6s.

Apple has realized there is a strong market for 4 inch phones. Not bringing out a 4 inch iPhone7 would be a massive mistake. Apple does not make massive mistakes very often.
    "People"? Why don't use use "We" because those "People" also included "You" and "me".
  • Reply 73 of 101
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    So now it's just a refresh but whenever someone calls an s model a refresh they get pummeled down with 'it's a totally different phone, only the shell is the same'. I'm quite enjoying all the back pedaling, and tune changing that's going on today. 
    what on earth are you talking about? for the flagship iPhones, S models (tock) are typically substantially different than the tick model. the SE is not a flagship phone. the design & engineering decisions for it are different and unique. its neither a tick nor a tock.

there is no back peddling or tune changing. that sounds like FUD nonsense to me.
    It doesn't matter if it's a flagship device or not. Internally it's different from the 5s which does not make a simple refresh. 

You haven't been paying attention to all the predictions for the iPhone 5se, and how wrong people were, and how they jumped down the throats of posters who were almost spot on with their predictions. Those are the ones back peddling, and tune changing. 
  • Reply 74 of 101
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    The little green robot is going to need a diaper change STAT!
    Unlikely. 4" phones are not appealing to most users.  4" iPhones were available throughout the rise of Android. 
  • Reply 75 of 101
    fallenjt said:

sog35 said:

wow. you were so right. You said it would not be $550. Big friken deal.  Did you say it would be $399?  I don't think so.
    Huh? you must be smoking hard lately...shit...Bring back my comment that I was talking about this damn refreshed iPhone 5s. In fact, AI never had this information until a day before yesterday. AI blog was always on a fucking iPhone SE with assumed iPhone 6 chassis. 
    It was pretty much a given that it would be much like the 5s when we were told it was going to be called the 5 se. If you kept foolishly believing it would be using the 6 shell then that's on you. 
  • Reply 76 of 101
    Keeping the 5 design for one more generation lets us enjoy Steve Jobs' last iPhone just a bit longer. Though honestly I found my old tin-can iPhone 5 a shockingly flimsy upgrade from the 4. Durability was my biggest complaint. Does anyone know if the SE uses the 7000-series aluminum?
  • Reply 77 of 101
    sog35 said:

fallenjt said:

What about a bet on iPhone 7m...if there is one, I'll ban myself for 6 months on AI. Otherwise, you ban yourself? How many times did you get things wrong in the last 2 years and how many bets did you lose? So many, I believe.
    I was correct about a large iPhone 6+
    I was right that Apple would hit $120 in 2014 (missed by a few pennies)
    I was right about the Watch selling 12 million in the first 12 months

I was wrong about Apple hitting $150 in 2015. Who the hell could know the total melt down of China and Wall Street manipulation.
    I was wrong that Apple would release a new AppleTV in 2014 (home hub)
    You were also wrong saying that Apple would not continue to sell the iPhone 6/6+ after releasing the 6s/6s+ because it would cannibalize sales of the new model. 
  • Reply 78 of 101
    fallenjt said:

It was pretty much a given that it would be much like the 5s when we were told it was going to be called the 5 se. If you kept foolishly believing it would be using the 6 shell then that's on you. 
    Really? Then look at this shit to see if any of you believe this phone was in iPhone 5 chassis? It's been assumed iPhone 6 chassis. Just stop your fcuking criticism!

edited March 2016
  • Reply 79 of 101

sog35 said:

I was correct about a large iPhone 6+
    I was right that Apple would hit $120 in 2014 (missed by a few pennies)
    I was right about the Watch selling 12 million in the first 12 months

I was wrong about Apple hitting $150 in 2015. Who the hell could know the total melt down of China and Wall Street manipulation.
    I was wrong that Apple would release a new AppleTV in 2014 (home hub)
    You were also wrong saying that Apple would not continue to sell the iPhone 6/6+ after releasing the 6s/6s+ because it would cannibalize sales of the new model. 
    and also wrong for 15M Apple Watch sale in 12 months. Since when he dropped it to 12M?
  • Reply 80 of 101
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    I'm a happy 6+ owner and love the advantages of a larger screen.  That being said, I still kept on to my (unlocked) iP5 and it does general duty as a home gadget, or as a backup.

In terms of design, my all-time favorite wall always be the iP4.  I just loved the glass construction.  The iP5 is next.  I'm not really a fan of the iP6 smooth, rounded design.  I prefer the more angular, industrial designs of the prior models.  To each our own.

For me, portability is a must.  I drive a motorcycle almost every day of the year, and I decide to try the iP6+ and while it is by far the best phone I've used yet, I still wish for the smaller factor of my iP5.  It's just more pocket-friendly.  I'm seriously considering going back to an SE-sized phone because of that.

Either way, I think it's great that Apple breathed new life into the 4" phone.  It will certainly please the purists out there.  With the same internals as their current high-end models, it will certainly not be a slouch by a long shot.  This is great news.
    radarthekat