Apple launches woven nylon, new color options for Apple Watch bands [u]

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited March 2016
During its Monday press event, Apple introduced a range of new band options for the Apple Watch, including a new material choice, woven nylon. [Updated]

Four of Apple's new woven nylon bands
Four of Apple's new woven nylon bands

The woven nylon bands use a four-layer construction, and come in seven different color patterns. These include options like black, gold/red, "pearl" and "royal blue." Each is on sale today for $49.

The company's sport and leather bands also have new color options, such as a yellow sport band, and an orange leather strap. Finally, the leaked space-black Milanese loop has been confirmed and costs $199, $50 more than the regular loop.

Apple simultaneously cut the entry price of the Watch to $299.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    And a $100 price drop. That ought to boost sales ...

Sets a bad precedent for Apple. I don't believe they have ever dropped the price on a product less than a year old, without introducing a new product, not counting the original iPhone, which I think everyone agrees was universally a mistake (though understandable since it was a brand new industry category, which the Watch is not).
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 2 of 11
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Nice updates, it is too bad the heart rate monitor is basically useless for real exercise. I look forward to version 2 or 3 where they get it right.
    appleric
  • Reply 3 of 11
    trumptman said:
    Nice updates, it is too bad the heart rate monitor is basically useless for real exercise. I look forward to version 2 or 3 where they get it right.
    I had the poor performance of the heart rate monitor on 3 different Watch Sport. I got my money back, and my warranty. I'm not going to buy until the next version is perfect.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    trumptman said:
    I had the poor performance of the heart rate monitor on 3 different Watch Sport. I got my money back, and my warranty. I'm not going to buy until the next version is perfect.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    mac_128 said:

Sets a bad precedent for Apple. I don't believe they have ever dropped the price on a product less than a year old, without introducing a new product, not counting the original iPhone, which I think everyone agrees was universally a mistake (though understandable since it was a brand new industry category, which the Watch is not).
    cough...first iPhone...cough..
    jbdragon
  • Reply 6 of 11
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    I'm guessing the price drop is entirely due to the improving US dollar globally, and basically keeps the price steady world-wide.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Apple stated that 1/3rd of Watch owners regularly switch bands, meaning they have more than one band.  Dropping the price of the Watch by the amount it costs for a basic band with result in more watch sales, and that $50 drop in price will very likely go right back into starting a collection of bands for that new Watch owner, or at least a third of them.  And with more band options, the percentage of owners who will own more than one band will climb. 

I bought the Sport Watch (it was delivered to my door at 5pm on April 24th last year, one of the first to get one.  I hate chrome or shiny metal of any sort, so preferred the satin aluminum look of the Sport model, but none of the four available bright colors (the black band was available only with the black watch body).  I ordered my watch with the white band, and also order the black sport band with stainless steel pin at the same time.  I think the aluminum watch with the black sport band looks great, so here I am having bought an extra band and I'm not even among those who change bands.  But I'll go look at the new band options to see if one of the woven nylon ones might look good.  So count me as a potential band switcher.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Some more over priced Apple Watch bands! Really, $50 each for these things? $50 for all 4 of them would be reasonable!!! I have some really nice 3rd party Apple Watch bands I got for a fraction of the price. I could replace them 2-5 times over and still save money!!! There's a huge selection of Apple Watch bands on Amazon!!!
  • Reply 9 of 11
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    fallenjt said:
    mac_128 said:

cough...first iPhone...cough..
    Do you not read? I excluded the first iPhone right in my comment that you quoted above ... and explained why I excluded it as not being the same.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I confess the gold watch with that nylon band looks pretty stellar. I shall have a hard time resisting! But resist I shall ... while giving in to the need to buy a new iPad, pencil, and iPhone SE.