Apple releases watchOS 2.2 with support for pairing multiple Apple Watches to one iPhone

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited March 2016
Users interested in adopting multiple styles of Apple Watch will appreciate Apple's new watchOS 2.2 update, which adds the ability to pair multiple Apple Watches with a single iPhone, along with other tweaks and improvements.

watchOS 2.2 is now available to install via the official Apple Watch app on an iPhone. As with all updates, users must ensure their iPhone is in range of the Watch, that the Watch is connected to its charge, and charged to at least 50 percent capacity.

After installing the update, along with iOS 9.3 on an iPhone, suers will be able to pair multiple Apple Watches with a single iPhone. That's possible thanks to a new feature called Auto Switch, which automatically connects to any paired Apple Watch, once the user puts it on and raises their wrist.

Apple also includes an image of the user's Apple Watch, complete with their style, color, and even the watch face and complications they have enabled. This will make it easier for users to distinguish between their connected watches.

The ability to pair multiple watches with a single iPhone will allow Apple Watch owners to purchase multiple styles and swap them out as needed. For example, fashion-conscious consumers might own different styles and colors to fit their current attire or activity.

watchOS 2.2 also includes improvements to Apple's Maps app. The Maps Glance for Apple Watch has been reimagined, providing users with quick links to directions to their home, work, nearby locations, and more.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    LOL, Apple expect each of us to have multiple Apple Watches? Or they want us to monitor/spy on family members by connect our watch with their iPhone?
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 2 of 11
    jackansijackansi Posts: 116member
    I have two.  One for dev use, one for personal (right now each one is paired with a different iPhone).  

It'll be wonderful to be able to use the dev device (being a sport model) to wear when doing things that I wouldn't want to risk the more expensive Watch.  (Situations I would still like the functionality that also could be damaging to any Watch).  If I wanted to do that before, I'd have to un-pair and re-pair every time I switched, wiping out Apple Pay.  While not a huge deal since Apple Pay rarely works around here (...more than a year later), it's nice to have an easy way to try without fumbling with a phone.

My use case is inherently rare though.  However I'd bet people who do have a 1st get and end up getting a 2nd get will probably want to keep the 1st get as a "beater" and this will allow that more realistic scenario.

I have not tried, but I highly doubt that you'll be able to pair two iPhones to one Watch so the spying thing is a real stretch.
    edited March 2016 jbdragonlatifbpnolamacguy
  • Reply 3 of 11
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    fallenjt said:
    LOL, Apple expect each of us to have multiple Apple Watches? Or they want us to monitor/spy on family members by connect our watch with their iPhone?
    I assume Beta Testers use more then 1 watch. But maybe some people use the Aluminum version for working out and a Stainless or Gold version the rest of the time! Who knows, who cares, it's a option for the few that do. I'd like to see something like 3rd party watch face support!!!
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 4 of 11
    ahx1ahx1 Posts: 6member
    i've been waiting for this!!! now I can have two different finishes that will match perfectly with my outfit and/or mood.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Is iOS 9.3 installed on the iPhone required before installing watchOS 2.2 is possible?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    fallenjt said:
    For people who find great utility in the Watch this is excellent. People can not only have multiple bands, but a nice polished stainless finish on a dressier watch, like the Hermes, while having a brushed Sport watch in rose gold for fun. And for those who can afford it, an 18k gold Edition, and Space Black stainless.

For the less fashionable and more pragmatic, there's always having a watch on the charging stand ready to go, and never having to worry about making sure their only watch always has a proper charge for whatever they might embark upon.

There's no mystery here why this would be useful.
    latifbpnolamacguyjackansi
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Is iOS 9.3 installed on the iPhone required before installing watchOS 2.2 is possible?
    Good question - I'm curious on this as well.  I'm still on 9.2.1 on my iPhone, and it says my Watch is up to date on 2.1.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    fallenjt said:
    You’re looking more like a tech dinosaur with each post.
    latifbpnolamacguyjackansi
  • Reply 9 of 11
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Yes I can confirm that. You must have iOS 9.3 before you can update your Watch to 2.2
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I'd still like the ability to change watch faces/complications from the watch app. No reason to have fingerprints all over two devices as long as my phone can do it too. 
  • Reply 11 of 11
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    fallenjt said:
    what on earth are talking about? link to the apple press release that states such rubbish, please.