Faster USB 3 charging & file transfers are exclusive to Apple's 12.9" iPad Pro

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    This is dumb. I can't imagine it's saving Apple much $$ so why not have it match the 12.9" device? It reminds me of when the retina mini launched but the the color gamut wasn't as good as the Air. Of course now the mini 4 has a display as good if not better than the Air. Stupid!
    Maybe they just could not make it work in that smaller device, who knows?

Most of the other specs of this thing is on par and even better, so I doubt they gimped it on purpose.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 22 of 25
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Blaster said:
    appex said:
    Apple should build standard ports like USB in all apple devices.
    Besides a Mac tablet. 
    But I thought iPads are Macs, therefore Mac tablets.
    no one said that. what they said, correctly, is that iOS is a variant of OS X. Soli provided you with links and photos to prove it. only you tried to misconstrue that as a false claim that iOS = Mac. we call that a "straw man" fallacy. 
  • Reply 23 of 25
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    appex said:
    Apple should build standard ports like USB in all apple devices.
    Besides a Mac tablet. 
    Nope!
  • Reply 24 of 25

palegolas said:
    Yeah!! Finally high bandwidth enough to run the iPad as an extended display for the Mac! Astropad, I'm sure, has been working to get the latency and pixelation go away.

... on second thought. We need a lightning to USB3 CABLE to do that. Not a lightning to USB3 ADAPTER. Oh well.. 
    I just ordered two 2 meter ones from Apple. That's what they are, a lightning to USB-3 cable with a USB-C plug on one end.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    wizard69 said:
    I'm not too sure about that. I wouldn't be surprised to find that Apple has licensed the technology from Intel to implement as they want when they want. Apple isn't about to close the gate on TB3 in its ARM based devices. They may not have a solution now but I can see them having one in the future as the performance of iOS devices increases.
    Is it possible to implement TB3 on ARM or is it exclusive to x86?
    No and yes.