Apple Pencil replacement tips now for sale in packs of four

Posted:
in iPad edited March 2016
Overshadowed by Monday's iPhone SE and iPad Pro product announcements, Apple quietly started taking orders for official Apple Pencil replacement tips, selling the product in packs of four for $19.

The new Apple Pencil tip sets are made by Apple for use with iPad Pro, which now comes in 9.7- and 12.9-inch flavors. The tip replacements went up for sale on the same day that Apple announced an all-new 9.7-inch iPad Pro featuring much of the same features as its larger sibling.

As avid artists know, Apple Pencil's nib, while sturdy, is not designed for a lifetime of use. The synthetic tips are a bit malleable so as to provide friction for a natural feel, but this comes at the cost of durability. When it was released last year, Apple Pencil came with one spare tip with no alternative than to visit Apple support for more.

It should be noted that the small rubberized nibs are specially made for Apple Pencil and contain a small metallic component for interacting with iPad's display. The part is threaded for easy replacement.

Apple is selling the four-pack for $19. According to the company's online storefront, replacement tips are available now, with free shipments arriving in about two business days and expedited orders going out in one day. Brick-and-mortar Apple Stores should receive stock soon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    nabzifnabzif Posts: 16member
    After seeing the image I was halfway expecting (ok, secretly hoping) to read Apple had finally announced a new product category for them: iToys...
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 2 of 13
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Do they come in 2B and HB packs or is each pack a mix?

The one that ships with the pencil feels like 2H to me.
    fotoformatai46
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Threaded? They look notched to me. 
  • Reply 4 of 13
    BlasterBlaster Posts: 97member
    I wonder if the Pencil architecture is extensible to support alternative tip styles such as chisel tips.
    dysamoriaargonautrazorpit
  • Reply 5 of 13
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Blaster said:
    I wonder if the Pencil architecture is extensible to support alternative tip styles such as chisel tips.
    Yeah, I'm interested in felt marker style nibs like Wacom has for the Wacom Art Pen. Should be possible, right? A bunch of other styli use soft tips...
  • Reply 6 of 13
    It's the other end of the pencil I want to see replacement parts for. If you loose the magnetic end cap your pretty much screwed. Shame Apple didn't include a spare one of those in the box also, or at least give us the option to buy another. 
    BlasterVisualSeedphonephreak
  • Reply 7 of 13
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,334member
    Yes, I know it would depend on the user, but on average, how long do these tips last? A 4-pack indicates you may burn through a tip once a quarter. True?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    duervoduervo Posts: 73member
    It's the other end of the pencil I want to see replacement parts for. If you loose the magnetic end cap your pretty much screwed. Shame Apple didn't include a spare one of those in the box also, or at least give us the option to buy another. 
    You can get one of these to help reduce the risk of losing the cap:

https://cozy-industries.com/collections/frontpage/products/pencilcozy
    Snails_Paceargonautpscooter63dysamoria
  • Reply 9 of 13
    leighrleighr Posts: 253member
    Yes, but do they sell a Pencil Sharpener?
    razorpit
  • Reply 10 of 13
    These look perfect for reaming the wax out of one's ears..!
    razorpit
  • Reply 11 of 13
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Threaded? They look notched to me. 
    The threading is inside the pencil end of the nib; it's not visible in any photos I've yet seen. 

And:

Boy, I thought Wacom replacement nibs were expensive. :-1: 
  • Reply 12 of 13
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Blaster said:
    iPencil 2  ;-)
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Hmmmm. Do they really wear down so fast that you have to buy packs of them?