YouTube for iOS gets Slide Over, Split View in time for Apple's new iPad Pro

Posted:
in iPad
Just ahead of the launch of Apple's 9.7-inch iPad Pro, Google on Tuesday released an updated YouTube app, implementing some long-awaited iOS 9 multitasking features for iPad owners.

The first, Slide Over, simply lets users swipe in a second app from the right-hand side of the screen, then dismiss it to continue watching. True multitasking is available via Split View, which allows the second app to run simultaneously.

Either way, secondary apps must also have support for multitasking. Further, while Slide Over works on any iPad from the Air or Mini 2 onwards, only the iPad Pro, Air 2, and Mini 4 are capable of Split View.

Unexpectedly YouTube is still missing support for iOS 9's third multitasking feature, Picture in Picture. The option lets people continue watching video in a thumbnail while navigating through other apps or the iOS homescreen.

Elsewhere in the app Google has moved home tabs into the navigation bar when using an iPad in landscape mode, and solved a bug that prevented people from opening links in video descriptions.

YouTube is a free download and runs on anything with iOS 7 or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Google still thinks they can charge people for background audio. That's why there is no PiP support. It is pathetic.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    pmz said:
    Google still thinks they can charge people for background audio. That's why there is no PiP support. It is pathetic.
    They also think they can force people to pay to watch previous free channels. Unfortunately for them, I'm not that stupid.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    mygigmygig Posts: 40member
    It would be nice if YouTube would have handoff support :)
  • Reply 4 of 4
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I just don’t use YouTube on my iPad or iPhone. Their player is horrible and the ads and popups are unblockable.

AdBlock + Click To Flash on OS X = QuickTime player that you can right-click and instantly get a download if you want, plus they can’t feed you interstitial ads. It’s a win-lose!