Days after Apple Watch's $50 price cut, competitor Pebble lays off 25% of staff

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Its the Watch 2 that will really kill all the competition, except maybe Samsung, in the over $250 watch segment, leave others to scramble in the dumpsters or do exercise watches with poor build.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    stanhopestanhope Posts: 160member
    bdkennedy said:
    They should be more concerned about the design/quality. They look like they should be sold in gas stations.
    I chose the Apple Watch over the Gen 2 Steel simply because the design took a step back from the original, which looked perfectly at home in the board and conference rooms I spend my workday in. The Gen 2, on the other hand, looked like something a young Millennial would wear, and that black bezel around the watch face is just enormous. I'm not going to dump on them because Pebble is really the first company that proved there was a marketable interest in smart watches, and people losing their jobs is never something to be celebrated frankly.  
    I hate that people are losing their jobs. Once they saw Apple coming into the business they should have felt like the Titanic looking at the iceberg in the distance. They should have immediately moved to fitness where they might have had half a chance.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    stanhopestanhope Posts: 160member
    oakie said:
    if Eric Migicovsky is seriously confused as to why Silicon Valley investors are no longer investing in him, let's lay out the facts: he began over 4 years ago on kickstarter, preselling a metric buttload of their $99 "Classic" for $140 and up, claiming they would retail for $200+. instead of shipping these kickstarter presales, he diverted the majority to fulfilling a Best Buy order that occurred once they saw the popularity. even worse, they were then being sold at retail for $150. hilarity ensues amongst kickstarter "backers." after 2 years, entries from Samsung and other Android manufacturers convinced him to make a metal one, a round one, a metal round one and a "premium" one. despite having had a hand in making Blackberry's failed smartwatch many moons ago, a 2 year head start on the Android market alone, promotion from every tech oriented website on earth and nearly 5 years after launching their original kickstarter presale, Eric Migicovsky has failed to create enough profit to make the business self-sustaining. where have the profits gone? don't say "invested in new products" when your every model was launched using funds from kickstarter presales. gee, i wonder why investors aren't clamoring to send money his way?
    2 words come to mind....fraud.....OR......incompetence.....either driven by ego
  • Reply 24 of 25
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    bdkennedy said:
    They should be more concerned about the design/quality. They look like they should be sold in gas stations.
    I chose the Apple Watch over the Gen 2 Steel simply because the design took a step back from the original, which looked perfectly at home in the board and conference rooms I spend my workday in. The Gen 2, on the other hand, looked like something a young Millennial would wear, and that black bezel around the watch face is just enormous. I'm not going to dump on them because Pebble is really the first company that proved there was a marketable interest in smart watches, and people losing their jobs is never something to be celebrated frankly.  
    I agree with not celebrating people losing their jobs.  The problem with Pebble is that they only had a short window to makemoney until the big boys came in with their vast resources. The get points for proving the concept, but I think their time is almost over.