Hands on: Apple targets the mainstream with new iPhone SE

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    The complaint that the faster Touch ID makes it hard to see notifications is odd. On my 5S, I have it set to read tip of left thumb and flat part of right thumb. If I wanted to see notifications without triggering unlock, I could just press button with part of digit that doesn't bear the unlocking print.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    fearlessfearless Posts: 138member
    Ah, the Mac Classic - I never owned a Mac SE but did fall for the Mac Plus-new-box ploy - a Classic was my first Mac, sporting a 16-bit Motorola 68000. An Excel spreadsheet could take minutes to recalculate - autocalc was an option to be turned off. MultiFinder crashed all the time. 4MB of RAM was all it could take, and a 40MB HD. But MacWrite II was sweet - and ClarisWorks that followed it contained mini database and spreadsheet modules, along with paint and draw and an embeddable spreadsheet. AppleWorks built on that - but the original was stripped down and oddly enough. Then I went mobile, with a PowerBook 100, OEM'd by Sony, that I still have, with a replaceable lead-acid battery...
  • Reply 23 of 24
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    fallenjt said:
    davygee said:
    We have all been waiting on the smaller form iPhone to return and it has with the SE.  The most surprising thing is the price of the phone.....so cheap.  I can see them selling loads of these.  They will certainly be very very popular.  The specifications of the SE are very good as well.  Surprised that they have effectively put a 6S in a 5S casing, removed a few things, but have made it significantly cheaper than the 6.  I fully expect the 6 and 6Plus to disappear in September when the iPhone 7 is released.  Their sales will severely go down over the coming months because of the SE.

This will be even more interesting in September when the new iPhone is announced.  Will then reduce the cost even further?  I reckon at most, they may drop $50 off the price and get shot of the 6 and 6Plus, thus allowing the 6S and 6SPlus to be discounted $100.

Apple domination ahead.....
    My prediction is: 6+ will be discontinued in Fall or even both 6 and 6+. The price of SE probably won't change regardless if 6 is discontinued or not since they targets different users (screen size, form factor, specs...). It may have a price drop next year if there will be a 6SE (I doubt it).
    I don't agree. I think the 6 & 6+ at the $450 & $550 price points will make the larger phones available to Android converts for the first time. The SE is priced just below that for a reason. And it's for that reason I think the SE will continue until next March at the earliest, before seeing a possible price-drop to $299-$349, possibly not until the 7s comes out. I could also see Apple continuing the 6 for another year, dropping it to an even more affordable $349, maybe even doing something similar with the 4.7" phone that they did with the SE. And considering the SE specs, they could conceivably drop it down to $199 when the 8 comes out, effectively making it an iPod Touch replacement, and finally discontinuing the latter.

Unless the SE absolutely tanks, I fully expect there to be a "7se" as early as September, but more likely next March, or at the latest when the 7s arrives, with a premium price of $599, putting it $50 under the 4.7" phone assuming the pricing structure remains the same.