iPhone SE battery bests iPhone 6s, Samsung Galaxy S7 in stress test

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    mnbob1 said:
    I had an iPhone 5s and if this iPhone had been available I probably would have switched to it instead of the 6. I never felt the 5s screen was inferior. There's a point where the pixel density vs. size of the screen vs. battery trade off creates a clear choice for an old guy like me and I'm guessing a number of younger people too. The smaller screen size allows me to easily use my phone with one hand. The increased battery life that Apple has been able to achieve is a tremendous improvement. The pixel density was never a problem and there comes a point that it becomes more of a sales feature rather than a requirement while in the end requires a more powerful CPU/GPU that chews up battery. The size of the phone required is almost dictated by the battery required. All the power packed into the iPhone 5se with the A9/M9 more RAM, the advanced iSight camera and iTouch with Apple Pay. Who cares about 3D Touch? I'm able to use the iPhone with one hand!  I'm tired of seeing the word "inferior" in the iPhone 5se articles. It's not inferior, just different features. Do you really think Apple was looking to cannibalize the high end premiere iPhone lineup? If you do you don't know Apple marketing!

I have an uncle who hates the size of the 6/6s/6+/6S+ and he even traded down from the 6+ he was originally given. I'm sure he'd be thrilled about this model, but then again, that family doesn't replace things very often.

Personally, if I had known this was coming I'd have waited. But then I'd have missed taking pictures of my nephew who was born a month or so later.

• Reply 22 of 38
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    sog35 said:
    Your right! Especially you.
    sad you need to resort to mud slinging.

I guess thats the last resort when you are desperate.
    Just pointing out your rank hypocrisy. As your volumous rants about Tim have proved beyond any doubt.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    oh Man the SE has a downright yuck screen from 3 years back. even 200 androids do better in terms of viewing angles than the iPhone 6S display. Galaxy S7 is a superior phone with a camera that leaves the SE and their brethern in DUST
    the iPhone SE uses the camera hardware and software of the iPhone 6s which was introduced last September. You're comparing it to the Galaxy s7 which was introduced on March 11th. Since the iPhone SE is a high end phone with an excellent camera and processing capabilities:

"It is tough to say which handset is the winner here. Sure, the photos takes from the Galaxy S7 are brighter, but without having a look at the full resolution samples, it is tough to say which device captures more details and keeps the noise in check. Keep in mind that a wider aperture lens can lead to blurring around the edges, which is tough to make out from the above images. The smaller aperture lens on the iPhone 6s is devoid of any such issue, but it is possible that the Galaxy S7’s 12MP shooter suffers from something like this." http://www.iphonehacks.com/2016/02/iphone-6s-vs-samsung-galaxy-s7-camera-comparison.html

If you know anything about Apple marketing you would understand that they wouldn't change the camera module in the SE to avoid cannibalizing the flagship 6s models.

• Reply 24 of 38
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    mnbob1 said:
    oh Man the SE has a downright yuck screen from 3 years back. even 200 androids do better in terms of viewing angles than the iPhone 6S display. Galaxy S7 is a superior phone with a camera that leaves the SE and their brethern in DUST
    the iPhone SE uses the camera hardware and software of the iPhone 6s which was introduced last September. You're comparing it to the Galaxy s7 which was introduced on March 11th. Since the iPhone SE is a high end phone with an excellent camera and processing capabilities:

"It is tough to say which handset is the winner here. Sure, the photos takes from the Galaxy S7 are brighter, but without having a look at the full resolution samples, it is tough to say which device captures more details and keeps the noise in check. Keep in mind that a wider aperture lens can lead to blurring around the edges, which is tough to make out from the above images. The smaller aperture lens on the iPhone 6s is devoid of any such issue, but it is possible that the Galaxy S7’s 12MP shooter suffers from something like this." http://www.iphonehacks.com/2016/02/iphone-6s-vs-samsung-galaxy-s7-camera-comparison.html

If you know anything about Apple marketing you would understand that they wouldn't change the camera module in the SE to avoid cannibalizing the flagship 6s models.

The Apple camera has the better balance of features. It's quicker and video is in general better (there is seemingly more DSP on the Iphone dedicated to the camera); the S7 is better if you have a bit of time to set up the shot, or in good light.

On the whole I'd say if you shoot video, the Iphone is the best and if you shoot pictures, the S7 is slightly ahead if you are a decent photographer.

For most people, they're terrible shooters, especially when things are in movement or happen quickly, which negates the advantage of the S7 and makes the cameras at best a wash. The Iphone slightly ahead in low light and the S7 ahead in good light.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    The 4" iPhones were the pinnacle of comfort to hold. Let's not pretend otherwise.

Every single one of us that has opted for the 6 or 6 Plus has sacrificed a little bit of the ease of holding the device, for all of the other benefits that come with more size and more power. I'm not saying thats bad. Its just a fact.

Its an important fact though, because there is entire section of the market that values holding the device comfortably (small and light) over anything and everything else. The iPhone SE is a great product is going to be very, very well.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    sog35 said:
    wish Apple made a 5 inch phone.

The 4.7 is too small.
    The 5.5 is too big.
    Put a case on a 4.7" one: instant 5.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    sog35 said:
    ireland said:
    So if Apple has their head screwed on the right way around they make the 7 absolutely-no-thinner, squeeze in extra battery by pushing components down into the post-headphone-jack area and use the additional efficiency offered by the A10 to push battery life to the next level. And when iPhone reaches a full day of heavy use with some juice left, only then consider going thinner the next year—with the condition that same or better battery life is reached. That's what people actually want.

The thin for design race is over, no one wants thinner anymore if it means they need to connect to an outlet.

Battery cases should only be reserved for weekend camping trips without power or other exceptional circumstances.
    Sorry most people don't give a crap about long battery life.  99% of iPhone users are perfectly fine with the battery in current phones. 

People care about a phone looking sexy. Thinner = sexy.

When most people see or hold a new phone they don't care if it can provide 48 hours of battery life. They care how it looks and how it feels.

The iPhone7 will be hot:

Thinner than the 6
    Smaller top and bottom bezel
    No ugly antenna lines
    No camera bump

If you want more battery life buy a battery case.

Battery life is probably the most asked for feature of iPhones. Make it thicker and battery last longer. They are also harder to hold in hand when thinner, and especially with the rounded edges of the 6. So I don't know who's abdicating their design job here.
    cnocbui
  • Reply 28 of 38
    Tod Patterson will welcome its return. The Raven (Cannondale) designer’s magnesium spine is reminiscent of the Five’s 3-piece suit.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    foggyhill said:
    mnbob1 said:

The Apple camera has the better balance of features. It's quicker and video is in general better (there is seemingly more DSP on the Iphone dedicated to the camera); the S7 is better if you have a bit of time to set up the shot, or in good light.

On the whole I'd say if you shoot video, the Iphone is the best and if you shoot pictures, the S7 is slightly ahead if you are a decent photographer.

For most people, they're terrible shooters, especially when things are in movement or happen quickly, which negates the advantage of the S7 and makes the cameras at best a wash. The Iphone slightly ahead in low light and the S7 ahead in good light.
    The iPhone's camera is not quicker, according to the Verge:

The S7 Edge's camera app is faster than the iPhone's, especially because you can launch the camera by double-tapping the home button. The waiting time has been reduced to the point that, by the the time the phone is out of your pocket and in front of your eyes, you can already be shooting.

The iPhone's camera is still fast, but can take around three or four seconds or so to launch from the moment you pull it out of your pocket. It might not sound like much, but the difference is clear when you put these phones side by side. On the iPhone you have to hit either the home or the power button to activate the screen before sliding up on the camera icon, and then there's a delay before the camera app opens and is ready to fire.

The S7 Edge's camera app launches and focuses faster than the iPhone's

We put this to a casual real-world test during our shoot. I picked an intersection and waited for cars to hit the crosswalk before pulling the phone up and trying to take a picture. The S7 Edge was able to stop the cab just a few feet in front of the crosswalk (the wider angle lens helped, too), but the 6S Plus was never fast enough to do the same — the cab was always slightly, or often completely, out of the frame by the time the iPhone's camera app took the photo. It took a number of tries to accomplish the iPhone photo you see here, whereas the S7 Edge nailed it on the first try.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/18/11245680/samsung-galaxy-s7-edge-vs-iphone-6s-plus-camera-comparison

And according to GSM Arena the S7 has better video, where they not the iPhone only records sound in poor quality mono.  The S7 has better quality microphones, records in high quality stereo at 256Kbps bitrate, 48kHz sampling rate.  With low-light videos, the S7 footage garnered 94% of the votes in the blind shootout mentioned below.

mnbob1 said:

In a blind shootout, voters overwhelmingly picked the S7 photos and videos as being superior to those taken with an iPhone, except for HDR, where the iPhone was better: http://www.gsmarena.com/galaxy_s7_vs_iphone_6s_blind_shootout-review-1414.php

• Reply 30 of 38
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    supadav03 said:
    I don't think the thickness made much of a difference in the battery. It's battery is better because it's powering a smaller screen with lower resolution and no 3D Touch. Even though it's thicker, it likely has a smaller battery than the 6S. So it's not like that added thickness gave it more room for extra battery. 
    But the SE also lasts two hours longer than the 5S which has the same screen size and resolution.  The other reason SE battery life is much better is because of the A9 and GPU are much better. 
  • Reply 31 of 38
    Ah I cannot wait...  Come to me SE. My only annoyance is that it tops out at 64GB. For no reason I can see. Give me the 128GB!!!

So I can rid myself of this horrible iPhone 6. Its been a really horrible device. My least favourite iPhone of them all and i've had them all.

The iPhone 6 is a nasty phone to use unless you put a case on it. Too thin, too wide and far far too slippery. I don't want a case on my phone!!

I think the sales figures on this will be interesting. I've been bombarded by requests to hand in company iPhone 6S's to swap for an SE.

As for battery life, thats a welcome bonus. In my usage case i'm approximately an 1 or 2 away from a usable device without charging it throughout the day. Though my use case is probably not normal.

edited March 2016
  • Reply 32 of 38
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    sog35 said:

The 4.7 is too small.
    The 5.5 is too big.
    Agreed. Always want 5". I wish they had gone 4", 4.5", 5", 5.5".
  • Reply 33 of 38
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    sog35 said:

The 4.7 is too small.
    The 5.5 is too big.
    No, no.
    5" is too small too.
    (4.7+5.5)/2=5,1"
    Yes, 5,1" would be fine. 5" would be too small. /s
  • Reply 34 of 38
    The Nokia 3310 beats them all. What a joke to compare a basic phone to the likes of iPhone 6s or Galaxy S7. The iPhone SE will only appeal to those who are not bothered about specs as this phone is a rehashed 2 year-old phone with last years specs. You may as well just get the Nokia 3310 or Droid Maxx if you value battery life. Yet Apples considers it as the most powerful 4 inch phone whereas it lacks VR support, wireless charging, quick charge, water resistance, microSD card support, heart rate monitor, file explorer, low quality screen, inferior bluetooth and NFC. etc etc. So, what's the purpose of the extra power???
    Of all those you listed of this phone 's lacking, no one gives the fuck!
  • Reply 35 of 38
    fallenjt said:
    Of all those you listed of this phone 's lacking, no one gives the fuck!

I'm afraid millions of people do care about these features. Do your research before posting silly and childish comments. 
    Usually I don't respond to dudes with a few posts in AI. This is why I responded to you when you said about these lacking mostly gimmicks : VR support, wireless charging, quick charge, water resistance, microSD card support, heart rate monitor, file explorer, low quality screen, inferior bluetooth and NFC"
    Here is why: this is a fucking budget phone at $399 but packed a latest Apple hardware which blows the shit every android mid tier phone out of water. In fact, it blows every android phone out there for benchmark test per core. Do your research.
    VR support, wireless charging, quick charge, water resistance....all pure gimmicks.
    mSD is irrelevant to Apple iOS device, so you brought it up to troll.
    Heart rate monitor: on the phone? again a fucking gimmick that came from Samsung fanboi.
    Low quality screen: a fucking retina display which no human eyes can distinguish a pixel at normal viewing distance, beyond retina is for marketing purpose. 
    inferior bluetooth and NFC: you don't know the crap you're talking about. Bluetooth to connect to external devices as long as it works fine. NFC: it's used for Apple Pay flawlessly, the first superior digital wallet withno issue so far.
    Last but not least, it runs the best and most secure OS in the world, not a fragmented, malware risked and power hungry android. 
    So, do me a favor, STFU unless you know better about iOS devices.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 36 of 38
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    The Nokia 3310 beats them all. What a joke to compare a basic phone to the likes of iPhone 6s or Galaxy S7. The iPhone SE will only appeal to those who are not bothered about specs as this phone is a rehashed 2 year-old phone with last years specs. You may as well just get the Nokia 3310 or Droid Maxx if you value battery life. Yet Apples considers it as the most powerful 4 inch phone whereas it lacks VR support, wireless charging, quick charge, water resistance, microSD card support, heart rate monitor, file explorer, low quality screen, inferior bluetooth and NFC. etc etc. So, what's the purpose of the extra power???
    All I hear is blah blah blah I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Looks like Samsung isn't quite so doomed anymore.  10m pre-orders in China for the S7 in 4 days, which if the rate continued, would be 15M in the first week.  That is quite remarkable given the degree of local competition and the comparatively high price of the S7.

Samsung Netherlands claims pre-orders for the S7 are 2.5 times those for the S6 and 61% of those orders are for the more expensive Edge version.  Carphone warehouse in the Uk reports pre-orders of the S7 up 200% on the S6.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3960964-galaxy-s7-bringing-samsung-back-growth