Who would actually use the selfie flash on a 9.7" iPad Pro?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    You are crusing the web or reading a book when you get texted by your paramour and you want to send a selfie.

Personally I see more of a use for the iPad Pros front facing camera than the back.

• Reply 22 of 29
    The large size of the 9.7" iPad display as a light source compared to the LED on the back or even to the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus Retina displays is a nice advantage for selfies.

The smaller the apparent size of a light source (small and near or larger bur farther away and appearing small) results in harsh contrasty light. This accentuates creases, wrinkles and blemishes and is unflattering.

A larger light source has light arriving at the subject from a wider angle. This gives a softer more flattering look to head shots. That's why we use soft-boxes or white (reflective or "shoot-through") umbrellas in professional lighting. One type of light is called a beauty dish and is often about 18" to 24" in diameter. It is usually about 3 feet to 6 feet from the subject and is used in fashion shots, generally with youger subjects.
    So the size of the 9.7" iPad at arms length is goIng to give results similar to a beauty dish or slightly softer. That's an advantage over a selfie from an iPhone or from using the rear LED flash.

One problem common to both iPhone and iPad is the camera is right next to the light source as compared to a studio beauty dish that's off camera--approx. 2 to 6 feet from the lens. I'll be interested to give the iPad Retina Flash a try when it arrives, to compare it to a beauty dish. From my professional portrait work, I expect the adjacency of the light source to the camera lens on the iPad to look too flat even though softer.

I will try a high key look with a well lit white wall behind me.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    mike1 said:
    Unrelated, but I wonder if Apple might consider sampling the white balance in the room from the front-facing camera, and adjust the tone of the display accordingly (similar to Night Shift).
    Huh?! Isn't that what they just announced as "True Tone"? Made a pretty big deal about it at the event.
    d'oh! I misread the True Tone announcement. That's it :)
  • Reply 24 of 29
    ThePo8ThePo8 Posts: 4member
    There is no "tablet taboo" for photography.   Good manners might preclude using a tablet in a venue like a concert.  But elsewhere?  Now that a tablet has achieved capture parity with an iPhone, expect to see the iPad used more.  Silly snobbery.  
  • Reply 25 of 29
    The iPad Pro is aimed at Enterprise. There are many times at Enterprise level it might be necessary for a user to record their own photograph. For example if the device were to be used for a self user to register a photo Id. 
  • Reply 26 of 29
    cambocambo Posts: 38member

The authors ignorance of photography is amazing, as is his arrogance. Professional photograhers use large light sources (light boxes, panel flash, etc.) ALL THE TIME for portraits because it is the best thing to use - soft, even light that envelopes the whole subject. The iPad will give some GREAT near pro-level portraits with this amazing use of the screen, and it's ability to adjust to lighting conditions, which, I'm sure the author doesn't realize how REVOLUTIONARY that announcement was (every photographer, graphic artist, and 3d artist and videographer in the world stood up and cheered upon hearing this news). Not all of us will be holding our iPads up in a club. Some of us will be posing our models carefully in front of a very, VERY good flash unit, and getting 12 megapixel, sharp detailed and true-to-life portraits on this amazing device.

Cheers,
    Cameron
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 27 of 29
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    tabulator said:
    The iPad Pro is aimed at Enterprise. There are many times at Enterprise level it might be necessary for a user to record their own photograph. For example if the device were to be used for a self user to register a photo Id. 
    One use in the lifetime of the device hardly qualifies as a reason to install hardware.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 28 of 29
    Cambodia said:  "…Some of us will be posing our models carefully in front of a very, VERY good flash unit, and getting 12 megapixel, sharp detailed and true-to-life portraits on this amazing device."
    -
    oops--you won't be able to use that Retina Flash with the 12 megapixel rear camera. The Retina Flash only works with front 5 megapixel camera.