'Next-generation' Apple Store opens in Memphis with custom 37-foot display

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    Looks unfinished without the Apple logo. Do you guys think they will remove the logo on all stores or something?
    I hope not! I love the subtle (and I believe at times absent) Apple signs where it's been appropriate, especially in Apple's renovated older buildings. But I think removing logos on a regular basis would be going too far.

Apple consistently operates on a level of sophistication well beyond the average person's conscious awareness (Ive has said as much), but when they keep pushing the envelope with minimalism and esoteric, modernist absolutism they run the risk of operating at a level above peoples' intuitive awareness, at which point it becomes an exercise in self-indulgence for the designer. I think removing signs would be excessive unless the building is either 1) a dramatic statement that commands the viewers familiarity, or 2) an older building that couldn't accommodate it aesthetically.*

Btw, I LOVE Apple architecture. It's amazing. Apple continually extends the goalposts in a meaningful way, beyond what anyone is expecting, while still staying true to their design principals and to general design and aesthetic principals. Apple architecture is at the same time humble in its simplicity, yet grandiose in its scale and perfectionism.

I'm a big fan of the warm woods being juxtaposed with the cool stone walls and floor, particularly as this warmth effectively invites and focuses the viewer's attention on the products, and will invoke, in most people, a sense of ease that will make the perusing experience more enjoyable and relaxing.

*If Apple wants to be subtle/sophisticated with its signage, one great way to do that would be to have a lighter-colored stone Apple logo jutting out somewhat from the rest of the facade.
    edited March 2016 pscooter63
  • Reply 22 of 43
    They carefully avoided photographing the SAMSUNG logo on that huge display.                                                                                                            /s
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 23 of 43
    bewoodbewood Posts: 8member
    This looks exactly like the Apple Store in Corte Madera!  It just reopened in a larger location two doors down at the end of January.  I can take some photos tomorrow and post them here. This store, which is roughly 30 minutes north of San Francisco, also features that huge monolithic TV.  Unfortunately it is too not for sale!
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 24 of 43
    cwingrav said:
    It really does tie the room together.
    Yeah... well... you know that's just like uh... your opinion, man. 
  • Reply 25 of 43
    Apple teases NEW Apple Pencil (2.0) on latest iPad video - Now with eraser Check it out; http://images.apple.com/v/ipad-pro/d/images/overview/performance_pencil_large_2x.jpg
  • Reply 26 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I think the screen is huge overkill. Like a trampoline room. It's okay however that's what happens when you have tons of wealth. 
    it would be overkill if they put the wrong content up there with flashing images and things, but if they keep their marketing classy and we'd no reason to believe they won't it could be fine and perhaps on occasion helpful.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    cwingrav said:
    It really does tie the room together.
    How dare you don't agree with the Dude?
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 28 of 43
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    i will miss the Apple logo...it drew moths to the flame.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    I wonder how many people walk out without buying an accessory or something because they don't know how to pay. I stopped in my local store during the holidays and did not know I was supposed to check myself out using Apple Pay until I finally nabbed a blue shirt and they told me. What about people who don't use Apple Pay yet or don't know. There should definitely be a clearly defined checkout area, especially when the store is busy.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    waltgwaltg Posts: 90member
    To me this looks like something out of the 60's or 70's,, so not Apple, so not an Apple Store, and no Apple logo! Apple seems to be falling into other companies habits of trying to change something that is a total winner for something better or just for the sake of change and coming out with much LESS than what they already have... This store is to me is a total let down...
  • Reply 31 of 43
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    waltg said:
    To me this looks like something out of the 60's or 70's,, so not Apple, so not an Apple Store, and no Apple logo! Apple seems to be falling into other companies habits of trying to change something that is a total winner for something better or just for the sake of change and coming out with much LESS than what they already have... This store is to me is a total let down...
    What is a total winner about the current Apple stores? Mine look completely dated. Also the new store in Belgium has an Apple logo so I have a hard time believing these store redesigns are getting rid of the logo. 

edited March 2016
  • Reply 32 of 43
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    ireland said:

nick710 said:

What do they do on cold days? Leave open just one of those 'quite large' openings? You'd have some gusts of cold and wind coming in there wouldn't you?

EDIT: I see it says mall store, but doesn't that look like rain on paving slabs?
    open the photo and you'll see those are glossy tiles interspersed with non. 
  • Reply 33 of 43
    I think the screen is huge overkill. Like a trampoline room. It's okay however that's what happens when you have tons of wealth. 
    what's this? you don't like something Apple is doing? shocker! keep it going and you'll be a fully qualified armchair CEO in no time. 
    edited March 2016 ai46stourque
  • Reply 34 of 43
    mike1 said:
    I wonder how many people walk out without buying an accessory or something because they don't know how to pay. I stopped in my local store during the holidays and did not know I was supposed to check myself out using Apple Pay until I finally nabbed a blue shirt and they told me. What about people who don't use Apple Pay yet or don't know. There should definitely be a clearly defined checkout area, especially when the store is busy.
    nonsense. a checkout area would be stupid...they're already among the highest (if not the highest) retail space per square foot in the US. I think they're doing just fine without checkout lanes.
    edited March 2016 pscooter63
  • Reply 35 of 43
    NemWanNemWan Posts: 118member
    Scientists finally figured out that the TMA-1 monolith that was found on the moon in 1999 is a flat screen TV.
    diplicationmacky the macky
  • Reply 36 of 43
    wa4321wa4321 Posts: 8member
    The front looks bad. Like an old ladies department store. Also without the Apple logo, you'd not know what it is. The logo is cool and modern looking by itself as well. 

The he shelves are also bad. They offer a very dated look with there protruding design, mismatched levels and ugly dark border inset. Also reminiscent of an old ladies department store. 

The tv is dang cool. Something that screams techie and fashion at the same time. 

The he traditional style tables will never go out of style. 

Overrall a a major letdown though. If not for the tv, I'd say the design is an utter failure. 

Ive got to think the shelves and front are an Ahrendts thing. I imagine she's pretty bullish with her views simply because she's a female exec and has major retail experience. But she's wrong here. They need to reign her in. Apart from the tv and tables, the new stuff looks older than the old stuff. Kind of cheap too. Especially the shelves c
    These are just really bad photos. There is no dark border inset and the new designs have the Apple logo on the front of the store. Geez AI if you're going to do a story at least get some better pictures.
    Something happened during uploading the photos, there's a gap in between shelves not a dark border. 
  • Reply 37 of 43
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    The biggest problem IMO is that it still looks like it's all hard surfaces.   And most of the Apple stores I go into are so noisy, you can't hear audio off a computer or iPad without earphones and Siri won't work.    

I think that one of the things you find in true high-end stores is that they're quiet.   I can understand why Apple doesn't want carpeting on the floor and soft materials on walls are harder to maintain, but I think the noise is a big problem.    I was once in the Lincoln Square store on Broadway in NYC and heard such a roar from the basement, I thought they had a live band performing.  I went down there and it was just a small amp playing back an iPod, but the sound was tremendously amplified by the poor acoustic design of the place.   Upstairs, where there are stone surfaces on the walls and a glass ceiling, it's even worse.   

I like the wooden shelves because it adds a bit of warmth to the store, but when you get down to it, most Apple stores are concrete floors or the equivalent, parsons tables for the displays and lit glass displays on the walls.   I know they do really well, frequently having the highest sales per square foot of any other store in the U.S., but I really don't see what the big deal is about the design of these stores (and even though others have completely failed, such as Microsoft, when they've tried to copy it).  

The tremendous screen might wind up being a big mistake if it's being used for AppleTV or other such product demonstrations.   Images, especially video shot on an iPhone are not going to look good on a screen of that size and 1080p movies are not going to look good either, especially since many people will be viewing that screen from just a few feet away.   Add in compression coming down from Netflix or whoever and it gets even worse.   Even those of you with a high end TV -- move right in front of your TV and you'll see that close-up, it actually looks pretty bad.    On the other hand, the only way to see the difference between HD and UHD is just a few feet away from the screen, but Apple's not there yet.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    Jack21Jack21 Posts: 1member
    The massive TV looks like the one I have to deal with at work. I know that video wall very well. I feel sorry for the employee who has to fix one of those tiles when broken, each has it's own logic board and takes 30-45 minutes to un-screw and fix.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    pigybankpigybank Posts: 178member
    Why no Apple logo on the stores?
  • Reply 40 of 43
    matrix077 said:
    How dare you don't agree with the Dude?
    This aggression will not stand, man.