After 1 year, Tidal reaches 3M paid subscribers, well behind Apple Music's 11M

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    I wonder if this "3 million signed on" users includes many KW fans who signed up for the service and cancel after a month?
  • Reply 22 of 34

runbuh said:
    sog35 said:
    If Apple lies then shareholders can sue and those responsible will go to jail.  The law is much more kind to private companies like Tidal.  Also a private company like Tidal does not report its financials publicly like Apple. It would be nearly impossible for anyone suing Tidal to prove they were lying.

Basically Tidal is Jay-Z and his Rap friends.  Any doubts they would lie?

Has Apple's current management ever lied about financials subscribers before?  Sorry I give Apple the benefit of the doubt not Jay-Z and Kayene West.  Hell West just got caught lying when he said his songs would never be on Apple Music.  
    So how do we know Apple isn't lying? Yes - the are penalties for lying, but who can prove that Apple isn't lying?
    Before you can ask that question, you need to bring to our attention the lies Apple had made before.
    boopthesnoot
  • Reply 23 of 34
    I really liked my Tidal trial, esp lossless streaming to my Oppo BDP-105 over wi-fi at home.  But $20/mo is kinda steep for the amount I used it, I'd go back if the price comes down.
    Yeah.. $20 a month for music that you don't own is too much. I hope when Apple introduces lossless streaming it will retain the pricing or increase only a little.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    runbuh said:
    sog35 said:
    If Apple lies then shareholders can sue and those responsible will go to jail.  The law is much more kind to private companies like Tidal.  Also a private company like Tidal does not report its financials publicly like Apple. It would be nearly impossible for anyone suing Tidal to prove they were lying.

Basically Tidal is Jay-Z and his Rap friends.  Any doubts they would lie?

Has Apple's current management ever lied about financials subscribers before?  Sorry I give Apple the benefit of the doubt not Jay-Z and Kayene West.  Hell West just got caught lying when he said his songs would never be on Apple Music.  
    So how do we know Apple isn't lying? Yes - the are penalties for lying, but who can prove that Apple isn't lying?
    Who can prove that Apple isn't lying?  Seriously?

If you're going to make any accusations or insinuations then you need to support your argument.  Making an argument and then asking others to prove a negative is not how things work.  The burden of proof is on you.
    edited March 2016 singularity
  • Reply 25 of 34
    3 Million Tidal customers = 6 million Apple music customers. Tidal customers pay twice as much as Apple music customers.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    3 Million Tidal customers = 6 million Apple music customers. Tidal customers pay twice as much as Apple music customers.
    First, 3 Millions may not be paying subscribers.
    Second, Tidal has lower subscription plan that cost just the same as Apple Music.
    edited March 2016 lostkiwi
  • Reply 27 of 34
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    In how many countries is Tidal available vs Apple Music and Spotify?
    singularity
  • Reply 28 of 34
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member
    sog35 said:
    Another jewel from the press release:

"The Life of Pablo —which was streamed 250 million times in the first 10 days "

So if Tidal has 3 million users then the average user streamed the Life of Pablo 85 times in 10 days?  Sounds like more bullshet to me.

What am I missing here?  250 million divided by 10 days is 25 million per day.  25 million divided by 3 million is 8.33.  Did all 3 million users stream it an average of 8.33 times a day?  I highly doubt it, but I think your figure of 85 times a day is waaay off.

Indeed, it is funny how numbers that people want to see get accepted without any critical analysis.  See above.

You're missing the part where he stated 85 times in 10 days (not a day). Which is 8.5 times a day. Which is more or less what you got. 

Maybe it's you that is not doing the critical analysis and is seeing the numbers you wanted to see. Kind of funny. 
    edited March 2016 cali
  • Reply 29 of 34
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    koop said:
    cali said:
    I just subscribed to Tidal Hifi free trial. Hifi is turned off by default and you have to go into settings to turn it on. They don't even inform you. Fail.

I'm guessing it's their sneaky way of saving money. I bet most subscribers THINK they hear a difference when Hifi isn't even on.

It tells you right next to playback controls what it's playing at. It's not going to default to HIFI on your phone because it uses a high amount of data. It's the exact same setup for every music service including Spotify.
    Even for wifi though?? That's ridiculous either way and again it doesn't warn you. I bet a ton of people are paying and unaware that Hifi is off. 

I haven't noticed the Hifi info next to playback. 
  • Reply 30 of 34
    sog35 said:
    Another jewel from the press release:

"The Life of Pablo —which was streamed 250 million times in the first 10 days "

So if Tidal has 3 million users then the average user streamed the Life of Pablo 85 times in 10 days?  Sounds like more bullshet to me.

What am I missing here?  250 million divided by 10 days is 25 million per day.  25 million divided by 3 million is 8.33.  Did all 3 million users stream it an average of 8.33 times a day?  I highly doubt it, but I think your figure of 85 times a day is waaay off.
    Kanye West probably has a clause in the contract signed by artists to get onto Tidal that they have to have his new album streaming 24/7 for the first month. That could account for the numbers...
  • Reply 31 of 34
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    3M paid subscribers is still good though. They're actually a very good service with excellent high fidelity sound quality. Which is going to improve in the future when they start rolling better than CD 24bit HD sound streaming. Out of all the music streaming services, they're the audiophile choice at the moment, though a bit on the pricey side...if you want to use their lossless tier.
    singularity
  • Reply 32 of 34
    jkrarupjkrarup Posts: 10member
    12 million in January, then 11 million in February...bit confused. I think the 12 should be a 10?
  • Reply 33 of 34
    TIDAL service is not marketed toward poor broke budget music listeners.  It's very similar to Porche. Porche is not marketing toward poor broke people. It's sad listening to people basically trying to compare a Ford Mustang to a Porche. Nothing wrong with either vehicle. Like a car buff" will get why the Porche is more expensive. A "music buff" will get why Tidal is more expensive. Audiophiles want lossless music. Your everyday music consumer doesn't have a need for lossless music. Average consumers don't have the equipment to hear the difference.
    edited April 2016