Apple CEO Tim Cook, other tech leaders call on North Carolina to repeal anti-LGBT law

Comments

• Reply 41 of 109
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,626member
    spheric said:
    What exactly do you think the Supreme Court's purpose IS, beyond checking the matters brought to it and ensuring or enforcing their compliance with the Constitution?
    Nothing. It’s quite simple. They don’t make law. That’s the job of Congress. They can’t invent anything out of thin air, and they can’t rule positively toward anything that is not expressly stated by the Constitution.
    They can, however, and do, rule AGAINST things that are in violation of things expressly stated by the Constitution. 

That includes laws. 
    londor
  • Reply 42 of 109
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    koop said:
    I threw up in my mouth a little. Anyone can cite a bunch of crap. Try to cite something of value.
    So do you have anything other than a genetic fallacy, because I think I’ll wait for that. Get a cool, damp washcloth or something and put it on your forehead to make the bad thoughts go away and resettle your stomach.
    spheric said:
    They can, however, and do, rule AGAINST things that are in violation of things expressly stated by the Constitution. That includes laws. 
    Of course! But I mentioned something they illegally struck down that was not in violation of the Constitution.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 43 of 109
    londorlondor Posts: 263member
    koop said:
    Holy lord in heaven your sources are so terrible Tallest Skil. Conservative think tanks, an Iranian source, two that wouldn't even load and another journal where they interviewed an insanely small sample of 45 people outside of a clinical setting. 

I threw up in my mouth a little. Anyone can cite a bunch of crap. Try to cite something of value.
    You are wasting your time. He is so used to take at face value what's written in a 2000 years old fantasy book that he can't tell the difference between a peer-reviewed scientific paper and a bunch of crap.

As I said no matter how much neanderthals like him cry out they are on their way out.
  • Reply 44 of 109
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    This entire thread is a mess
  • Reply 45 of 109
    roake said:
    Personally, I don't want some hairy guy wearing a dress in the bathroom with my 6-year-old daughter.
    why is it that whenever people think of trans people that's the image they come up with? you do know there are trans guys too, right
  • Reply 46 of 109
    jet23jet23 Posts: 12member
    londor said:
    koop said:
    Holy lord in heaven your sources are so terrible Tallest Skil. Conservative think tanks, an Iranian source, two that wouldn't even load and another journal where they interviewed an insanely small sample of 45 people outside of a clinical setting. 

You are wasting your time. He is so used to take at face value what's written in a 2000 years old fantasy book that he can't tell the difference between a peer-reviewed scientific paper and a bunch of crap.

As I said no matter how much neanderthals like him cry out they are on their way out.
    koop, thanks for going through that. To my dismay, I flipped through them as well and between the right wing media and broken links were several clinical studies that actually stated the opposite of his point. For example: "Psychological evaluation has shown that sex reassignment increases the well-being of transsexuals, but it should not be considered as a cure-all; it is rehabilitative relieving gender dysphoria, but some transsexual subjects may still experience other problems (e.g. comorbid psychiatric problems, social isolation, troubled relationships, prejudice, and discrimination)." So you know, as they say, there you go.

londor, I agree. Had no idea the level of crazy
    londorkoop
  • Reply 47 of 109
    londor said:
    You are wasting your time.
    If you’re not going to have an actual reply, I’m just going to start reporting your insults.

jet23 said:
    londor, I agree. Had no idea the level of crazy
    Said the person supporting trannies’ “right” to mutilate their bodies and impose their delusions on others.

If it is impossible for straights to know what is it like to be queer (ignoring the fact that some gays have been sane at one point and vice versa), it is impossible for blacks to know what it is like to be white, and vice versa.

So using the tranny argument, we have draw. Using their argument, no matter how much a man feels he identifies as a woman, he is, by their argument, WRONG, because he cannot know what it is like to be a woman. Therefore he has no frame of reference to compare if he feels like a woman. Therefore, if he chose to identify as a woman, he still cannot be identified nor should be identified as a woman, because–since he had no frame of reference to judge–what he is choosing to identify as is a subjective view on what he thinks woman feel like, and he is simply trying to copy it.

If gender is a social construct, then there is no such thing as a “gender binary”. If this is true, how can one “transition” between “genders” or be “genderfluid?” If gender is a social construct and stereotypical gender binary “gender identities” and the gender roles stereotypically assigned thereto are entirely made up by an oppressive society for its own uses, why would “transgenders” want to take on, themselves, made up roles assigned to the nonexistent “gender” to which they are transitioning, and thus reenforce the system’s fake stereotypes of gender roles in the gender binary? By this “logic”, a man can act like a man but claim that he is a woman and feel no need in “transitioning”, and everyone must accept it. Thus is proven the transsexual mental illness.

If someone says they are Napoleon trapped in the body of a modern day human, society agrees they are insane and the person is given medication and treatment. They are not invited to rule France (or exiled) for being Napoleon.

Of course, this is a “terrible” sign of the “oppression” that “transNapoleons” face on a daily basis. Every single day, they try to live their lives in accordance with their inner “identity” as Emperor of the French, King of Italy, and Protector of the Rhine Confederations. Every single day, they are derided and mocked. Small children run up to them and yell, “You’ll never be real emperor!” and “You’ll never lead the Grand Armee against the combined armies of Tsar Alexander and Emperor Francis at Austerlitz!”

All they want is what other Napoleons have–absolute power over the French Empire and its satellites in Europe, plus a dedicated Corps of Imperial Guards and a palace in which to live. But they can’t even move into the Palais de Versailles without “bigoted” policemen trying to arrest them.

Think about that. We cis-identified people get to live in our natural homes, but if they try to move into their natural home, they get arrested. I don’t even want to think about how the Russians would treat them if they went to visit Moscow.

So have a heart, mes amis. Start working for greater social justice for transNapoleons!

roake
  • Reply 48 of 109
    roakeroake Posts: 821member
    spice-boy said:
    It saddens me that people that should be open minded are filled with hate for things that they don't understand and even worse they refuse to even listen to those that could be discriminated against in this country of supposed "equality". Most of the people I know that are fans of Apple products were able to "Think different" but it appears from the postings here that anything different is to be feared and loathed. I work with a transgender person and that person is as decent a human being as some of you could only dream of being. The same argument about sharing a public bathroom that is different from yourself has been used in the south since "whites only" signs where on restroom doors. Saying that trans-gender people are child molesters is about as low as you can get on the empathy scale. People in this country which have not traveled and seen alternatives to how they live too often condemn those different from themselves. Americans which live in bigger, diverse cities tend to be more open minded due to their familiarity to "others" different from themselves. The "flyover" states are that for a reason and it is legislation like this law that keeps a lot of people from wanting to visit or do business there. Until states which enact discrimation laws step back from them, I hope people who truly believe in the most basic of human rights boycotts these states the way many large corporations are planning to doing so. These laws are un-American and based on hate and ignorance. 
    It's funny how it's "hate" if someone doesn't agree with something.

Unless I overlooked something someone said, I didn't see anyone say they were child-molesters.  That being said, I don't think it's right to ask someone's daughter to share a shower at the Gym with some hairy guy with a penis, no matter how confused he is about his own sex.  If you think my opinion is "un-American," more power to you.  I'm glad we live in a country where people can have different opinions.
    tallest skildesignrbuzdots
  • Reply 49 of 109
    matrix077 said:

In the old days, it's an easy sell for America. Looks at the land of freedom, the democracy. Everybody loves that. Everyone love having freedom. Now it's tough. You want democracy? Beware! You'll get same sex marriage.
    "Beware! You'll get black people drinking from the same water fountain. Beware! You'll get uppity women in the workplace."

Same crud, different decade.
    Except the "uppity women" didn't have penises.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 50 of 109
    why- said:
    roake said:
    Personally, I don't want some hairy guy wearing a dress in the bathroom with my 6-year-old daughter.
    why is it that whenever people think of trans people that's the image they come up with? you do know there are trans guys too, right
    And I don't want anyone with a vagina in the bathroom with my son.
    tallest skilbuzdots
  • Reply 51 of 109
    What I cannot understand is why transsexuals cannot be satisfied if everyone is in a private bathroom.  Why do they want to be in the bathroom with my children?  or with me, for that matter.  "discrimination?"  It's hardly discrimination for me to want my young daughter not to see bare penises or my young son not to see a bare vagina.

What about people that like to stand in the front window or doorway of their home, naked, displaying themselves while people walk down the street.  Those people go to jail.  Why is THAT not discrimination?  They clearly want to do it.  I'm sure it hurts their feelings when they get arrested.

Why not allow women to walk around topless on the sidewalks around the local high-school.  That is CLEARLY gender-discrimination, since men can do it without penalty.  Maybe it hurts their feelings when they get arrested for public indecency,  I personally don't know, since I'm not a woman, and am not confused about my sex.  Funny, though. A man that "identifies" as a woman can walk around topless where an actual woman cannot.  Just saying...
    edited March 2016 tallest skil
  • Reply 52 of 109
    roake said:
    What I cannot understand is why transvestites...
    Those’re just crossdressers. We’re talking about the ‘lop off body parts’ ones, which is “transsexuals”.
  • Reply 53 of 109
    roake said:
    What I cannot understand is why transvestites...
    Those’re just crossdressers. We’re talking about the ‘lop off body parts’ ones, which is “transsexuals”.
    You are correct.  I misspoke, and will edit my comment.
  • Reply 54 of 109
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,626member
    roake said:
    why- said:
    Which is exactly what will now happen, since transgender women will be required to use the men's room. 

That anybody should even consider this worth making a law for boggles the mind. "Overreaching Big Government" in perfection. 
    londor
  • Reply 55 of 109
    xbitxbit Posts: 394member
    roake said:
    What I cannot understand is why transsexuals cannot be satisfied if everyone is in a private bathroom.  Why do they want to be in the bathroom with my children?  or with me, for that matter.  "discrimination?"  It's hardly discrimination for me to want my young daughter not to see bare penises or my young son not to see a bare vagina..
    How is your daughter ever going to see a penis when people go the toilet in cubicles? Around here, there's quite a few restaurants that have gender-neutral restrooms. There's a line of cubicles and shared washbasins. It causes absolutely zero issues and actually makes things easier if you're the parent of a kid of the opposite gender. 

And why are you so hung up on nudity? You're an MD, right? You must see naked people in non-sexual situations all of the time. Your kids are going to get some serious hang-ups about their own bodies if you act like non-sexual nudity is some great crime.
    edited March 2016 londor
  • Reply 56 of 109
    xbit said:
    roake said:
    What I cannot understand is why transsexuals cannot be satisfied if everyone is in a private bathroom.  Why do they want to be in the bathroom with my children?  or with me, for that matter.  "discrimination?"  It's hardly discrimination for me to want my young daughter not to see bare penises or my young son not to see a bare vagina..
    How is your daughter ever going to see a penis when people go the toilet in cubicles? Around here, there's quite a few restaurants that have gender-neutral restrooms. There's a line of cubicles and shared washbasins. It causes absolutely zero issues and actually makes things easier if you're the parent of a kid of the opposite gender. 

And why are you so hung up on nudity? You're an MD, right? You must see naked people in non-sexual situations all of the time. Your kids are going to get some serious hang-ups about their own bodies if you act like non-sexual nudity is some great crime.
    So your argument is that it's okay for my children to be exposed to nude adult strangers, and to try to shield them from that will cause "hang-ups?"  You talk about cubicle bathrooms, but what about school or gym open showers?  Clearly, there is no point in further discussion here.
    edited March 2016 tallest skil
  • Reply 57 of 109
    xbitxbit Posts: 394member
    roake said:

So your argument is that it's okay for my children to be exposed to nude adult strangers, and to try to shield them from that will cause "hang-ups?"  You talk about cubicle bathrooms, but what about school or gym open showers?  Clearly, there is no point in further discussion here.
    How are your children going to be exposed to nude adult strangers in school showers? Who takes their children to the gym?

The only place they might realistically see nude adult strangers is public swimming pool showers.

The fact that this law covers restrooms as well as open showers tells you everything you need to know about its purpose. It exists to punish, alienate and humiliate a minority group because they dare to be different. It's no different from Jim Crow and sodomy laws enacted against black people and gay men respectively.
    londorspheric
  • Reply 58 of 109
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    roake said:
    spice-boy said:
    It saddens me that people that should be open minded are filled with hate for things that they don't understand and even worse they refuse to even listen to those that could be discriminated against in this country of supposed "equality". Most of the people I know that are fans of Apple products were able to "Think different" but it appears from the postings here that anything different is to be feared and loathed. I work with a transgender person and that person is as decent a human being as some of you could only dream of being. The same argument about sharing a public bathroom that is different from yourself has been used in the south since "whites only" signs where on restroom doors. Saying that trans-gender people are child molesters is about as low as you can get on the empathy scale. People in this country which have not traveled and seen alternatives to how they live too often condemn those different from themselves. Americans which live in bigger, diverse cities tend to be more open minded due to their familiarity to "others" different from themselves. The "flyover" states are that for a reason and it is legislation like this law that keeps a lot of people from wanting to visit or do business there. Until states which enact discrimation laws step back from them, I hope people who truly believe in the most basic of human rights boycotts these states the way many large corporations are planning to doing so. These laws are un-American and based on hate and ignorance. 
    It's funny how it's "hate" if someone doesn't agree with something.

Unless I overlooked something someone said, I didn't see anyone say they were child-molesters.  That being said, I don't think it's right to ask someone's daughter to share a shower at the Gym with some hairy guy with a penis, no matter how confused he is about his own sex.  If you think my opinion is "un-American," more power to you.  I'm glad we live in a country where people can have different opinions.
    "It's funny how it's "hate" if someone doesn't agree with something." Disagreeing is one thing however writing laws that discriminate against a group of people is the definition of hate. 
    londorspheric
  • Reply 59 of 109
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Let me get this right, some of you fear that a girl or young woman will go into a ladies room and see transexuals penis somehow, right? Please explain the scenario to me I cannot imagine this since there are no urinals in a ladies bathroom and it is my assumption knowing a transgender male-female person that the last thing they want to do is expose their penis (if they still have one) to anyone especially a child. 

Bullies are always looking for someone to put down. Maybe it makes they feel better about their own lives which I can only assume have been without achievements and some amount of happiness, why else would they put energy in making other's live miserable. Bullies in this country all have one thing in common, they are white, lack worldly experience and exposure, see the world changing faster than they like and perceive their way of life as being threatened. They boost their egos by keeping women, gay people, immigrants, people of other religions and now the new target people in transition to another gender.  They to love misquote the bible and think that religious law should be the law of the land over laws made by men and women living in today's world. They use a lot of fear to get others on their side and yell over anyone with a different point of view. History to them is nothing but lies and should be ignored. They lack empathy, and dislike and discredit anything foreign to them including facts and ideas. 
    londor
  • Reply 60 of 109
    roake said:
    why- said:

why not? Nobody goes around bathrooms whipping out their private parts. and people with vaginas would be using the stalls anyways
    londor