First shipments of Apple's 9.7" iPad Pro arrive, are promptly unboxed

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    2old4fun said:
    jdw said:
    Appleinsider, when creating your "comprehensive review" be sure to compare the 4GB RAM in the 12" Pro to the 2GB in the 9.7". Let us know if there are cases where the full 4GB would really have helped the 9.7" or if 2GB in the 9.7" is truly sufficient with any app and combination of apps in RAM. One thing I know is that my iPad3's 1GB RAM has always been insufficient. I like to keep 1Password open while switching between other apps, but I find myself having to enter my 1Password password endlessly because iOS always kicks it out of RAM. I want to know if a 2GB or 4GB iOS device would prevent that from happening most of the time. Thanks.
    On my iPad Pro 12.9" any time 1Password is moved off screen it needs to be unlocked again. In split screen it stays active but lock as soon as it it moved off screen. I believe that is way that it is coded and not a memory issue. Probably a check with Agile would confirm that.
    1Password > Settings > Lock on Exit > Off
  • Reply 22 of 25
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,340member
    tmay said:
    With the NAND bandwidth that Apple has brought to iOS devices, you probably won't even notice small apps reloading, and even large games will probably load pretty fast.
    NAND bandwidth doesn't prevent Safari from reloading webpages.  If Safari gets kicked out of RAM, then when you reopen Safari, it will have to reload.  But with more RAM, it becomes less likely that Safari would get kicked out, hence my call for 4GB on the 9.7" Pro.
    RobJenk
  • Reply 23 of 25

dewme said:
    Are you certain that this is a memory depletion problem on the iPad and not simply the configured behavior of 1Password on iOS? It could also be a bug in 1Password, e.g. https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/60267/intermittely-have-to-re-enter-my-master-password
    Very certain.  It's not a bug, nor is it a feature of 1Password.  iOS suspends apps as RAM is depleted. When 1Password gets suspended, and later reopened, 1Password asks for the password again.  It's the same as if you rebooted your iOS device.  1Password does that for security reasons.  But before you say "See, it's 1Password's fault!" consider well that such would not occur if 1Password never got suspended from RAM.  If 1Password stays in RAM, it won't ask for the password.  That's my entire point.
    RobJenk
  • Reply 24 of 25

2old4fun said:
    On my iPad Pro 12.9" any time 1Password is moved off screen it needs to be unlocked again. In split screen it stays active but lock as soon as it it moved off screen. I believe that is way that it is coded and not a memory issue. Probably a check with Agile would confirm that.
    fastasleep said:
    Are you sure you don't have "Lock on Exit" turned on in your 1Password settings? 
    And Settings > Advanced > Security > Require Master Password > Never ?

No, it's definitely NOT a 1Password setting.  I have that setting disabled because I don't want to be bothered by "enter password" requests.  I am not talking about that setting, which again, in my case, is disabled.  I am talking about when that setting is Disabled and while 1Password remains in RAM, I can switch to another app and switch back just fine, and I won't be asked for a password.  But on my iPad3 with only 1GB RAM, after I open 2-3 other apps (sometimes it only takes the opening of 2 apps), iOS suspends 1Password to save RAM and then when I tap on the 1Password app, it loads back into RAM and because of that reloading, it asks me for my Master Password again.  Again, I've spoken to Agile about this.  It's a RAM thing, nothing more.  That's why I think it was silly to go skimpy on only 2GB of RAM for the 9.7" iPad Pro.  I am aware Apple has traditionally been stubborn about stock RAM for any device, but iOS devices are the most RAM starved devices Apple makes.  4GB needs to become the new standard on iOS.  If that happens, and if Apple can prevent app developers from bloating their apps to fill that extra RAM, we'll be doing great.
    edited April 2016 RobJenk
  • Reply 25 of 25
    And here you have it, folks.  Confirmation about what I've been saying about limited RAM and apps getting kicked out and then refreshed (jump to 4:35):

edited April 2016 RobJenk