Apple invents modular Apple Watch accessories that link together, connect via diagnostics port

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    Does Apple call it a Diagnostics Port because that seems a poor name to me. It was always made sense to be used for advanced straps.
    how do you know this?
    I meant to say, 'It has always made sense to be used for advanced straps.' So I know nothing except that it's in the perfect position to transfer data and power to and from straps.
  • Reply 22 of 22
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    I'm still not sure that the existing Diagnostics Port is suitable for this use in a consumer device. For a start it's glued shut on the current model.

Then there's how you insert a plug attached to the lug into the port, when the lug is meant to slide in from the side. Spring loading it might work, but would be a likely point of failure.

I suspect, if/when they want to implement this, they will put a smart connector, as on the iPad Pro, in place of the diagnostics port. (They may even offer an upgrade option to replace the cover for the diagnostics port with a smart connector that plugs into it.)

As I said when the discussion of using the diagnostic port came up earlier, it won't happen until Apple says it can. That could be later this year, or it might be never.