Former Apple execs Fred Anderson, Avie Tevanian raise NeXT-themed venture capital fund

Posted:
in General Discussion
A pair of Steve Jobs lieutenants -- former Apple CFO Fred Anderson and software chief Avie Tevanian -- have reportedly banded together in a new venture capital fund dubbed NextEquity.

Anderson, upper left, and Tevanian, upper right

The fund includes personal contributions from both Anderson and Tevanian along with cash from outside investors, according to Bloomberg. The name was chosen as a nod to NeXT, the firm at which Tevanian first led software engineering under Jobs before following the mercurial Apple founder back to Cupertino in 1997.

Both Anderson and Tevanian were formerly involved with Elevation Partners, a multi-billion dollar private equity fund fronted by U2's Bono that has begun to wind down operations.

There is no word on exactly how much NextEquity has raised thus far, but Tevanan told the publication that the group has already begun to make investments. It's also not clear whether NextEquity has chosen a particular focus area -- many funds tend to concentrate on a specific vertical in which the partners have expertise -- or will act as a general-purpose investor.

Tevanian and Anderson are not the first ex-Apple employees to become investors, but they are among the most high profile.

In one of the more peculiar investments to date, former iOS chief Scott Forstall -- ignominiously fired over the Apple Maps rollout disaster -- became a Broadway producer. His show, "Fun Home," became the first musical with an all-female writing staff to win a Tony and led Forstall to invest in a second play, dubbed "Eclipse."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    bcodebcode Posts: 141member
    Man, the white balance on that photo is horrendous... You'd think Apple would have better photographers than that.
    studiomusic
  • Reply 2 of 12
    bcode said:
    Man, the white balance on that photo is horrendous... You'd think Apple would have better photographers than that.
    What part of "former" do you not understand. They are no longer at Apple. The picture was taken in their new conference room of their new business.
    But yes, white balance is bad on that one.
    afrodri
  • Reply 3 of 12
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    bcode said:
    What part of "former" do you not understand. They are no longer at Apple. The picture was taken in their new conference room of their new business.
    But yes, white balance is bad on that one.

Guys, that is just the new nightshift feature on their camera. Didn't you get the memo that is now cool to have warmer colors?
    studiomusicargonaut
  • Reply 4 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    bcode said:

Not Apple photographers. Nothing Apple about it.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member
    It is balanced for the subjects, not the hallway behind them. It's not a completely controlled environment.

Skin tones look within the realm of normal...
    argonautnolamacguy
  • Reply 6 of 12
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    I'm surprised AI hasn't done a story yet on all the troubles with Tony Fadell and Nest. I predict he'll be gone within a year. It's pretty telling that Nest has nothing to do with the Amazon Echo competitor Google is working on.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Herbivore2Herbivore2 Posts: 367member
    I'm surprised AI hasn't done a story yet on all the troubles with Tony Fadell and Nest. I predict he'll be gone within a year. It's pretty telling that Nest has nothing to do with the Amazon Echo competitor Google is working on.
    Nest is symptomatic of a pervasive culture of dysfunction within Google. Nest is only one of many Google failures ranging from the purchase of Motorola to Google Glass. 

Android is failing as a revenue driver and the crown jewel of the Google organization, their web based search engine is beginning its slide into irrelevance. YouTube is about the only product that Google has that has any potential and yet Google is squandering that opportunity also. 

Google won't compete with Amazon's Echo product. 
  • Reply 8 of 12
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Amazon echo...I don't follow Amazon news -- did they announce that it does more than play music and take Amazon orders?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Amazon echo...I don't follow Amazon news -- did they announce that it does more than play music and take Amazon orders?
    I don't have one but all the tech people in my Twitter feed (many of them who write about Apple or have Apple related podcasts) own one and rave about it and wonder how Amazon beat Apple (and Google) to market. According to the Verge, the Echo can perform over 300 tasks with new stuff being added all the time.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/5/11364786/amazon-echo-dot-review-alexa
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Nest is symptomatic of a pervasive culture of dysfunction within Google. Nest is only one of many Google failures ranging from the purchase of Motorola to Google Glass. 

Android is failing as a revenue driver and the crown jewel of the Google organization, their web based search engine is beginning its slide into irrelevance. YouTube is about the only product that Google has that has any potential and yet Google is squandering that opportunity also. 

Google won't compete with Amazon's Echo product. 
    From everything I've read the biggest problem with Nest is Tony Fadell. It seems he took after Steve Jobs but only picked up the bad traits Jobs had. Interestingly it seems the executives still at Apple that were closest to Jobs didn't inherit his bad qualities.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    thrang said:
    It is balanced for the subjects, not the hallway behind them. It's not a completely controlled environment.

Skin tones look within the realm of normal...
    They don't look right to me.

• Reply 12 of 12
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,319member
    I wonder if one of their backers is Apple International Cash Horde?

Have people friendly to Apple semi-acquire companies develop up ideas till there value to Apple is proven.
    Then sell them to Apple for profit but still arms length to Apple and happy to make profit for other people if they see value first.