Code reaffirms Apple's plan to allow users to hide default iOS apps

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    I hate my home screen being cluttered which is why I have my first screen empty, 3 icons and a folder in the bottom bar and that is it. Granted I only have 9 or so apps other then the stock apps
  • Reply 22 of 39
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    I would be pissed if Apple get rid of stock Apps. Thy are small,simple,fast and not bloated. We need them. Only request is incrementally add few tweaks/feature hear and their.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    I like it. No more junk folder needed to store crApps that I'll never use, like Game Center, Compass, and Tips. Getting back the storage space would be gravy but I don't think the sum total of all crApps adds up to very much. Mind blowing change for the next decade : being able to designate non built-in apps as default apps for certain functions. I know, I know - it's all crazy talk.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    Put them all together, and the large batch of useless Apple apps do add up and take up space.  Apps that were previously optional installs, Find My Friends and Find my iPhone, are now required apps that can no longer be removed.  So Apple has been adding to the bloatware and forcing them to be installed no matter what.  Other useless apps are Apple Watch, Tips, Game Center, Stocks, and the list goes on.  Apple does their own apps in the App Store and most of these useless apps should not be baked into the OS forcing people to have unnecessary apps consuming space.  We don't need a feature to hide them because everyone already hides them in a folder called 'Useless Apps'.  We want to delete them, and not have them baked into the OS.  
  • Reply 25 of 39
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I wonder how many Apple fans here were ready to crucify Microsoft over their Ineternet Explorer browser which could not be unbundled from Windows in the 1990s because it was so closely intertwined with the OS, and we now defending Apple to the teeth over the same practice.
    singularity
  • Reply 26 of 39
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    mac_128 said:
    I wonder how many Apple fans here were ready to crucify Microsoft over their Ineternet Explorer browser which could not be unbundled from Windows in the 1990s because it was so closely intertwined with the OS, and we now defending Apple to the teeth over the same practice.
    You do understand that the issue here was that Windows was a MONOPOLY, but hey don't let actual facts intrude into your point.
    It was the use of their monopoly position, and knowledge of the platform, to push out and sabotage the competition, a competition that had no other means of selling their product, that was at issue.

nolamacguy
  • Reply 27 of 39
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    foggyhill said:
    mac_128 said:
    You do understand that the issue here was that Windows was a MONOPOLY, but hey don't let actual facts intrude into your point.
    It was the use of their monopoly position, and knowledge of the platform, to push out and sabotage the competition, a competition that had no other means of selling their product, that was at issue.

While that is most certainly true, how many iOS developers have lost their income because a feature their app provided was suddenly baked into iOS and Apple suddenly removed that app because it now violated the TOS agreement? 
  • Reply 28 of 39
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    why- said:
    the only thing you shouldn't be able to remove is the app store. and also probably settings
    no. you dont get how apple rolls. they try to make things simpler than the competition. if my dad is on the road and calls me because he can't navigate somewhere, and i ask him to open Maps, but it turns out it was deleted and now he can't download it over cellular, guess what? he's fucked, and gets pissed. and thats the precise sort of scenarios Apple is trying to prevent. yep, even if it upsets our delicate power users who dont like having an extra icon stuck in a folder. boo hoo.

aint android.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    sog35 said:
    Some yes. 
    my understanding is you can hide the Google Apps but never remove them from the device

IMO, not allow people from removing Apps is protecting people from their own stupidity. 
    They will delete a ton of Apps and then get pissed off when some features no longer work.
    bingo. this.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 30 of 39
    foggyhill said:
    mac_128 said:
    exactly. and worse, MS blocked PC resellers from even allowing another browser to be placed onto the OS -- if you were HP and wanted to install Netscape on your Windows image, MS threatened you with economic sanctions entirely outside of IE (such as refusing you a license for your machines). blatant abuse of monopoly position. thats what the case was about. completely not the same thing.

do you really not understand the difference, or are you ignorant to what the case was about?
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 31 of 39

foggyhill said:

While that is most certainly true, how many iOS developers have lost their income because a feature their app provided was suddenly baked into iOS and Apple suddenly removed that app because it now violated the TOS agreement? 
    i dont know, how many dear sir? if you cannot answer or post links that suggest its a significant number above 0, then i would suggest this is just more FUD from thee.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 32 of 39

i dont know, how many dear sir? if you cannot answer or post links that suggest its a significant number above 0, then i would suggest this is just more FUD from thee.
    I'll keep it real simple, every flashlight app pre-iOS 7, of which there were probably hundreds. 
  • Reply 33 of 39
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

I'll keep it real simple, every flashlight app pre-iOS 7, of which there were probably hundreds. 
    Do Apple owe the developers of flashlight apps an income?
  • Reply 34 of 39
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    foggyhill said:
    mac_128 said:

Sorry. But no. While the case was about leveraging their monopoly, the claim was the same -- IE was so intertwined with the OS that it could not be removed, something that was patently false. Why should Mail be so intertwined with iOS that I can't delete it to use GMail if I want?
  • Reply 35 of 39
    crowley said:
    If the app sells then yes Apple owes the developer an income. 
  • Reply 36 of 39
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crowley said:
    Obviously not what I was talking about.

If the app doesn't sell because Apple included equivalent functionality as part of core iOS, why is the app developers' "lost" revenue Apple's problem?
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 37 of 39
    crowley said:
    Obviously not what I was talking about.

If the app doesn't sell because Apple included equivalent functionality as part of core iOS, why is the app developers' "lost" revenue Apple's problem?
    I never said it was Apple's problem. Just pointing out that Apple does its fair share of eliminating the competition by including software/features in the OS. 
  • Reply 38 of 39
    pmz said:
    I don't know what that means. All I've ever heard as reasons to remove stock Apps is:

And to both points I say, GTFO. The stock Apps take up negligible space, and no you don't own the OS or any of the software on the device. You may think you own the metal and glass brick around it, and if your device is paid off maybe you do, but that is it. You are not entitled to a goddamn thing.
    "I'll take 'Microsoft circa 1998', Alex!"
    edited April 2016