Yep.
    You're definitionally wrong, I'm sorry.
    icoco3
  • Reply 103 of 147
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    leighr said:
    Yep.
    I don't think you understand how faith and religion work.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 104 of 147
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    crowley said:
    Since you don’t understand that words have definitions, I’m not surprised that you’re confused.
  • Reply 105 of 147
    crowley said:
    Since you don’t understand that words have definitions, I’m not surprised that you’re confused.
    Wrong, and if you think that any religious "definition" holds absolute credibility amidst massive religious disagreements, then the state of the world must be very confusing to you. 

There is no single dictionary or authority that holds an uncontested, specific definition of either Jesus or Yahweh.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 106 of 147
    crowley said:
    There is no single dictionary or authority that holds an uncontested, specific definition of either Jesus or Yahweh.
    There are, however, two authorities–the only two which matter in any respect to the argument–which agree that Jesus is not Yahweh.
  • Reply 107 of 147
    crowley said:
    There are, however, two authorities–the only two which matter in any respect to the argument–which agree that Jesus is not Yahweh.
    Not uncontested, and occasionally inspecific. Other opinions are available and are just as relevant and author active to the people who hold them.

pretty moot argument and pointless one-upmanship.
  • Reply 108 of 147
    crowley said:
    Not uncontested, and occasionally inspecific.
    “Ye are of your father the Devil and the lusts of your father ye will do”
    and
    “Boiling in excrement in hell for all eternity”
    are pretty fucking specific, sorry.
    Other opinions are available and are just as relevant...
    Nah.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 109 of 147
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    tallest skil said

My studies have taught that the Father is Yahweh or YHWH and the Messiah is Yahushua or Yahshua.

But those studies are irrelevant now because I don't believe in Judeo-Christian divinity of any sort whatsoever. All religion is make believe in my opinion but if religious belief inspires people to help their fellow humans I'm not one to discourage their efforts even if their motivation is misplaced.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 110 of 147
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    Seems apt.
  • Reply 111 of 147
    volcan said:
    My studies have taught that the Father is Yahweh or YHWH and the Messiah is Yahushua or Yahshua.
    Yeah, a lot of “Christian” content has been usurped by heresies in the last century or so. 
    ...Judeo-Christian...
    This also doesn’t exist. There’s no “shared” heritage or whatever.

singularity said:
    Seems apt.
    I can disprove that in under 300 words and without even invoking religion in any capacity, but it will just be deleted like the last time I posted it because feelings trump fact.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 112 of 147
    tallest skil said:

Yeah, a lot of “Christian” content has been usurped by heresies in the last century or so. 
    This also doesn’t exist. There’s no “shared” heritage or whatever
    Not sure what your position actually is... as usual. Why do you even bother posting if your response is going to be vague, smug and condescending? Perhaps you should actually say what you believe instead of sarcastically denouncing everyone else's remarks.
    edited April 2016 singularity
  • Reply 113 of 147
    volcan said:
    Why do you even bother posting if your response is going to be vague, smug and condescending?
    Reading an awful lot into something that isn’t there... It’s quite plain what my position is.
  • Reply 114 of 147
    volcan said:
    Why do you even bother posting if your response is going to be vague, smug and condescending?
    Reading an awful lot into something that isn’t there... It’s quite plain what my position is.
    Are you a Jehovah Witiness, Morman,  Messianic Jew, a Protestant, atheist, Aryan skin head or what?  No, it is not plain what your position is.
    edited April 2016 singularity
  • Reply 115 of 147
    latifbplatifbp Posts: 544member
    Seems apt.
    Glad to be discussing something other than 'illegal state aid,' and that we agree on this topic
    singularity
  • Reply 116 of 147
    crowley said:
    Not uncontested, and occasionally inspecific.
    “Ye are of your father the Devil and the lusts of your father ye will do”
    and
    “Boiling in excrement in hell for all eternity”
    are pretty fucking specific, sorry.
    Nah.
    Huh?  What do they even have to do with the subject at had, specific or not?  Weird evidences you offer.

There are many different varieties of belief in Jesus, Yahweh, the trinity, and the relationship between them. You can believe in whichever one you want, but quit with the dullard denial of other opinions and their relevancy. 

Very boring.
    singularity
  • Reply 117 of 147
    crowley said:
    ...quit with the dullard denial of other opinions and their relevancy. 
    Words have definitions, crowley. You’ll learn that eventually.
  • Reply 118 of 147
    crowley said:
    ...quit with the dullard denial of other opinions and their relevancy. 
    Words have definitions, crowley. You’ll learn that eventually.
    Words are imprecise, malleable and definitions are often inadequate.  That applies tenfold for matters of faith, where definitions are barely even relevant unless you are talking within the established boundaries of strict doctrine, which, unless I've clicked on the wrong message board, I don't think we are.  Whether Jesus = Yahweh goes far beyond dictionary definitions, trinity scholars have struggled with this for centuries, and the canonical settlements have been by convention, not by divine outreach.  Convention is a guide to what lots of other people thing, not necessarily the truth.

You seem to think that the dictionary is some kind of set rulebook.  It isn't.  "Definitionally" isn't a magic word that wins you an argument.  You'll learn that eventually.
    edited April 2016 volcansingularity
  • Reply 119 of 147
    Then they should leave Saudi Arabia, and all middle eastern countries where a) women can't vote, drive or go into city by themselves, b) gays cannot live their lifestyle without chance of going to prison, and c) Christians cannot openly discuss their faith. "EQUAL RIGHTS FOR ALL ! ...."unless it seriously impacts our gross profit..."
    tallest skil
  • Reply 120 of 147
    crowley said:
    Words are imprecise, malleable and definitions are often inadequate.
    And there it is. The “words don’t mean anything except when I need them to” defense. It’s just pathetic. You’re better than this.
    ...trinity scholars have struggled with this for centuries...
    Not really, since that’s not what is being discussed here.