Leaked Senate encryption bill called 'ludicrous, dangerous' by security experts

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    So all these companies that spent millions building / maintaining / upgrading security for their phones to protect the end-users information would be sol . This 'leaked' bill if passed would force these companies to spend additional money to ultimately destroy / invade the very security level they achieved / provided. Why not just ban security all-together and save everyone the time and money without providing the end-user with a false sense of security. Security was not and is not free, you already paid for the highest security level built into you phone as part of the original purchase price.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,302member
    in 2011 there were 489 million personal wifi routers being used in america. most of these routers all use 256 bit military grade encryption, called "wpa2 aes". and unlike iPhones, use a "rolling" key which by default changes every hour. at 3pm your wifi group key may be 3pW[+NrI$e8K1.1Qd[hYOX_P#I and at 4pm your wifi group key may be 9J@Z@AUnDgk=qVnS!N~6VX^E2vE(9Z)w these keys are disposable and never used again. if someone brute forces your wifi, they have to brute force each time interval separately. and because of this, i believe the senate should force link sys, acer, netgear to keep our temporary disposable keys on file to help the fbi investigate cyber crimes!!!! doesn't that just sound ludicrous ?? so how come wifi gets a get out of jail free card, but apple and google doesn't ? i think wpa2-aes is stopping the fbi form eavesdropping and requires a chip. its only fair if apple has to do it. not even the iPhone or the worst 4096 bit windows ransom ware uses disposable rolling keys.
    They get the data in the end by subpoening the ISPs.

I wrote Feinstein and Burr a few weeks ago to express my displeasure in this bill.  Wouldn't it be great if we could get them unseated?
    baconstang
  • Reply 23 of 29
    CMA102DLCMA102DL Posts: 121member
    What's the point of usibg encrypted communication if the US government can get the information decrypted? Criminals will be criminals. They will find other ways to communicate privately and normal people like me will start limiting online use and go back to more old school forms of communication and business trasactions. The US Govt is wrong on this one as it often is on every thing it does.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 24 of 29
    "Leaked"...

I bet the committee thought they had the best of security protocols. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 25 of 29
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    There has to be something else going on here. Why would the government pass a law to demand a "backdoor" thereby alerting every would be criminal/terrorist of that fact knowing they would move to an alternate source of communication?  It just doesn't make sense that they would tell the world that information.  Especially knowing other governments would follow suit. I'd keep that part under wraps if it was me. I figured the government would do this in secret and then have the tech companies keep it hush hush under some "national security" blanket where it would be considered treason if they disclosed the existence of said backdoor.  No way this was "leaked". There is something else at play here. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Every time I hear Feinstein name, I get the creeps. Feinstein reminds me of Frankenstein.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 27 of 29
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Don't they realize with a backdoor they are compromising their own phones? Perhaps once they get their backdoor they will demand a special military grade secure version of iOS just for themselves.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Every time I hear Feinstein name, I get the creeps. Feinstein reminds me of Frankenstein.

"It's pronounced 'FRAHNK-en-steen'."

(insert Gene Wilder image here)
    tallest skil