BlackBerry kills BB10, will work on mid-range Android phones instead

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    $700? ouch...you'd think they'd be coming in more aggressively....
    So they can be belittled for it? 
    Definitely!
  • Reply 22 of 31
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,023member
    I've asked this once, I'll ask it again and I'm sure I will ask again in a year or so; how many times can this company continue to flog the same dead horse?
  • Reply 23 of 31
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    pmz said:
    BB10 was dead before it even launched. How can these companies be so blind?
    At some point in time, the underdog was Apple and many people said the company was doomed as well.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    It don't really matter anymore. i have never owned a blackberry phone or smartphone, thousand of glads i never did. With the availability of BBM apps on ios and android, thought felt great at first. So went to install and used it for a while, but shortly fall into frustration with the messaging system that is so much lags. I never have any idea when messages get delivered. It took away the word instant from the 'instant messaging'. It is a retard messaging. Then, making the matter worst, blackberry adds timed message, which is an unusable piece of craps. Now, it is totally sh1tty messaging. I see blackberry is racing itself to the bottom finally.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    dacloo said:
    pmz said:
    At some point in time, the underdog was Apple and many people said the company was doomed as well.
    But unlike Blackberry, Apple's CEO had a grand vision and the means to make it happen. 
  • Reply 26 of 31
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jbdragon said:
    I said this this the released the PRIV that BlackBerry the OS was DEAD!!! Why would you release a competition phone otherwise? That would kind of like Microsoft Releasing their next Surface Tablet with ChromOS on it. That would not be good. What I don't get is, How is this suppose to Help them? So they went with Full control of everything just like Apple. Create their own OS, hardware and Services/App Store, and now what do they have? Creating yet another one of many Android phones, running on a OS you no longer control, and you can't even make money after the sale with your own store because everyone on Android goes to Google Play and use Google services. Everyone except most all in China. it's almost a whole different world. So now it's more Android phones. Weak sales, slim to none in profit margins and lost all control. Am I missing something??? BlackBerry is really looking weak. This is just sad at this point. I don't see how any Blackberry fan could ever defend this move.
    Just goes to show that full control of everything isn't the magic formula everyone makes it out to be. 
  • Reply 27 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I give them a year before they are either sold or go under.
    Not sure on exactly how long they need but  of course the senior executives need a while to make sure they get as many $s out into their pockets before the share holders are left with zilch.  
  • Reply 28 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

ivlad said:
    BB10 was "high end?" Really?
    Still the most secure mobile OS on earth. Very problem free too, I would call it high end. Unless your idea of high end is snapchat.
    Do the FBI have a lot of warrants out to open it up?
  • Reply 29 of 31
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    rob53 said:
     Android based phones are only approved when using Samsung Knox but that might not even apply to classified use. BlackBerry saying they can secure Android might be overstating their capability because I don't believe any Android-based phone can really be secured no matter what infrastructure it's added to. 

You may not believe it (based on who knows what) but many of the most secure smartphones in the world use Android as the OS. I have little doubt BB can back up what they say. 
    http://www.zdnet.com/pictures/the-most-secure-smartphones-in-the-world-pictures/
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 30 of 31
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    dacloo said:
    pmz said:
    You think that Chen really knows what to do? He's been flailing since he got there. He's had so many ideas  that haven't worked. I'm waiting to see one that does work. He bought Good Technologies several months ago, in what was an un-admitted admission that their own MDM business wasn't working. But Good itself was a company with many problems, and a valuation that had dropped by half in the preceding year.

so now, Blackberry is looking more like Good with the Blackberry name attached. Two sinking companies together still make one larger sinking company.

he claimed that he was going to make BBM a money making proposition, by charging businesses and government a monthly fee, and advertising for consumers. That went down in flames. None of the phones he's come up with have succeeded. Even QNX is seeing its marketshare in vehicles crimped by a Linux based OS. And that is just small potatoes anyway. 

Its software business is down. Yes, parts may look up, but that's just because he bought several software companies and added their sales to the software division. But continuing operations are significantly down.

overall, the company may survive as just another small MDM supplier, but that won't really be Blackberry anymore. It will just have the name.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 31 of 31
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    How going Android would ever fix the issues they've had? Instead they have given control mostly over to Google! Android is also not a OS you can plug all the holes in. Google wants them all, better to spy on it's users with.