Apple grows to 7.4% of worldwide PC market as Windows continues to cede share to the Mac

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 40
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,266member
    Computer sales are slipping in general.  Could it be that some people are discovering they don't need a computer?

    hmm, I wonder what could be responsible for that?  and does that make money?
    argonautpatchythepiratestevehnolamacguy
  • Reply 22 of 40
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,526member
    spheric said:
    What a useless headline, and it just goes to show what a useless metric market share is. 

    Apple's sales DECLINED year over year. They just declined slightly less than the industry average. 

    While it's certainly worth reporting the numbers, spinning this as a "win" is ridiculous. 
    Thanks for calling a spade a spade. In fact, considering the Mac's overall state of stagnation (largely thanks to Intel's haphazard chipset releases as well), I'm amazed growth has only declined by 2% (according to the first graph). Imagine the boon to sales, should Apple finally issue meaningful product updates.

    In my case, I've been stalling a MacBook Pro and iMac upgrade for over 4 years now, despite 2,5y being my usual cadence for purchasing new equipment. I was contemplating a Mac Pro, even, but by the look of things I'm glad I held my horses. The recent years' Mac offerings simply aren't good enough to merit the additional expense. 

    In my case, it's not that the current offerings haven't been good enough; it's that my old machine (early 2011 13" MBP) has been so good that it hasn't been worth replacing. 
    It's really straining under its workload now, though, and I'm just waiting for the next release. 
    edited April 2016 netmageargonaut
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Can't remember the last time I saw a "Mac" commercial. My mid 2009 MBP is running like a champ. I wish Apple would come out with a Surface competitor. I'm also struggling with the inability to upgrade the RAM or HD in the current models.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    Should be slowing down a bit for q2 because except for the iMac release six months ago, it has been over a year since any laptop/desktop upgrade.  Retina Macbook pro is almost a year.  I would guess many people are holding out for updates.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    lawrance said:
    I wish Apple would come out with a Surface competitor. 

    What is the incentive for Apple to put resources into developing a product to compete with a product that barely has any market traction?


    nolamacguy
  • Reply 26 of 40
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Still a niche market, but at least they're healthy. My company will never switch to Mac (and thank god since I depend on Access) but I enjoy having Macs at home and want them to stay relevant.
    what does depending on Access have to do with switching to Macs? of course you can run Access on a Mac. (tho there are likely better tools to achieve the same goal)
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 27 of 40
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    jkichline said:
    Still a niche market, but at least they're healthy. My company will never switch to Mac (and thank god since I depend on Access) but I enjoy having Macs at home and want them to stay relevant.
    Oh God, you're still using Access? That's the worst excuse of a database platform that ever was.  Maybe it's gotten better since I've been converting terribly created Excel and Access "database programs", but yikes.
    what he said, yikes. Shell hired me 10 years ago to port some of their apps from Access to a real database and web frontend. and they continue to depend on automated/macro'd Excel worksheets running on a dedicated user session on a server. the whole thing comes crashing down when an unexpected dialogue box pops up. oops!
  • Reply 28 of 40
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    jkichline said:
    Oh God, you're still using Access? That's the worst excuse of a database platform that ever was.  Maybe it's gotten better since I've been converting terribly created Excel and Access "database programs", but yikes.

    Just shows why most of the world is still running Windows. Deeply entrenched legacy products made with Access and Visual Studio that don't give developers a chance to break away.
    not true for Visual Studio apps. stuff built with VS is not tied to Access or any particular data later. VS is one of the best IDEs out there...it's even on the Mac now.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,526member
    lawrance said:
    Can't remember the last time I saw a "Mac" commercial. My mid 2009 MBP is running like a champ. I wish Apple would come out with a Surface competitor. I'm also struggling with the inability to upgrade the RAM or HD in the current models.

    The Surface is a pretty desperate attempt to leverage the past — Windows dominance — for a foothold into the future — the touch-based tablet market, which Microsoft has absolutely failed at.

    Combining the legacy interface with touch-based interface into two disparate modes on a single device is not a long-term strategy looking forward. Legacy computing will remain as it is, and become more specialised, while touch tablets will become ever more potent and take over more and more aspects of "regular" computing over the next decade(s). 

    As for upgrading current models: the previous devices had a definite RAM ceiling as well. You just need to factor the upgrade into the purchase price now, rather than having the option of investing later. The SSDs *are* upgradeable after-market, albeit at considerable cost. Apple figures that a three- or fourfold increase in speed over easily replaceable S-ATA III drives (not to mention the space savings) are well worth it. 
    macky the macky
  • Reply 30 of 40
    I see Apple is still being copied. I swear other companies intentionally find someone with an English accent to do these videos which makes it even worse.

    http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/12/11412808/microsoft-surface-signature-type-cover

    These videos work for Apple because they've been doing them since forever (and Ive has the perfect narration voice). Other companies copying this style just comes across as pathetic. How about coming up with your own style rather than just ripping Apple off.
    It's a blatant ripoff, sure, but at the same time I have to applaud them for trying while Apple's design team is busy making 10K gold watches. Gone are the days of "Hello I'm a PC". 
  • Reply 31 of 40
    spheric said:
    lawrance said:
    Can't remember the last time I saw a "Mac" commercial. My mid 2009 MBP is running like a champ. I wish Apple would come out with a Surface competitor. I'm also struggling with the inability to upgrade the RAM or HD in the current models.

    The Surface is a pretty desperate attempt to leverage the past — Windows dominance — for a foothold into the future — the touch-based tablet market, which Microsoft has absolutely failed at.

    Combining the legacy interface with touch-based interface into two disparate modes on a single device is not a long-term strategy looking forward. Legacy computing will remain as it is, and become more specialised, while touch tablets will become ever more potent and take over more and more aspects of "regular" computing over the next decade(s). 

    As for upgrading current models: the previous devices had a definite RAM ceiling as well. You just need to factor the upgrade into the purchase price now, rather than having the option of investing later. The SSDs *are* upgradeable after-market, albeit at considerable cost. Apple figures that a three- or fourfold increase in speed over easily replaceable S-ATA III drives (not to mention the space savings) are well worth it. 
    Clearly if I thought Micro$oft did it correctly, I would have purchased one. But I'm Mac based. I'm just saying I like the idea of a touch screen MBP that could double as a tablet. Done correctly. Any who... regarding the current MBP upgradability comments, I have never paid Apple to upgrade the RAM when buying a machine. They charge double to triple fair market value. No thank you. Same with hard drives. If I start getting signs a hard drive is failing, I'd like to pop out the old one and pop in a new one. Granted SSD is a game changer and I haven't had one fail yet, but even having the option to upgrade the size capacity as prices drop would be the preferable option. 

    From my understanding, the first generation MBP SSD's are replaceable, but not the current generation. 
  • Reply 32 of 40
    ksec said:
    LOL, so AI cant even get the numbers right.  Sigh

    Anyway it still look like a bright future for Mac, as the whole Mac Lineup is schedule to be updated.
    Has Intel finally gotten their 14 nm manufacturing issues corrected? 

    I wouldn't hold my breath. The lack of Skylake CPUs is holding back the entire industry. Microsoft seems to be able to get a hold of them for their Surface machines. But it isn't like Surface machines are lighting up sales either. 
  • Reply 33 of 40
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,387member
    spheric said:
    lawrance said:
    Can't remember the last time I saw a "Mac" commercial. My mid 2009 MBP is running like a champ. I wish Apple would come out with a Surface competitor. I'm also struggling with the inability to upgrade the RAM or HD in the current models.

    The Surface is a pretty desperate attempt to leverage the past — Windows dominance — for a foothold into the future — the touch-based tablet market, which Microsoft has absolutely failed at.

    Combining the legacy interface with touch-based interface into two disparate modes on a single device is not a long-term strategy looking forward. Legacy computing will remain as it is, and become more specialised, while touch tablets will become ever more potent and take over more and more aspects of "regular" computing over the next decade(s). 

    You call the Surface a "desperate attempt", and that applies to Apple by pushing iPad Pro as desktop replacements.  With Surface Pro I can run my desktop applications (I think you call them legacy), when it's needed, plus use mobile / touch optimized apps when you want to.  Compare that to the iPad Pro, which in my opinion, the best tablet, but fails as a "desktop replacement", since all apps and iOS are design for touch.  And then you add the ergonomic POV, which is awful

    IMO, Apple "desperate attempt" of pushing iPads Pro as desktop replacements is not a good idea.  I remember when Tim Cook say that the Surface Pro was a toaster / fridge.  What is worst is how they try to force the toaster to work as a fridge (iPad Pro as desktop replacement).  Right now, the toaster / fridge (Surface Pro) is a better desktop replacement than the iPad Pro.  If Apple want to make iPad Pro a real desktop replacement, they have to do a lot of changes. 
  • Reply 34 of 40
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    I see Apple is still being copied. I swear other companies intentionally find someone with an English accent to do these videos which makes it even worse.

    http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/12/11412808/microsoft-surface-signature-type-cover

    These videos work for Apple because they've been doing them since forever (and Ive has the perfect narration voice). Other companies copying this style just comes across as pathetic. How about coming up with your own style rather than just ripping Apple off.
    It's a blatant ripoff, sure, but at the same time I have to applaud them for trying while Apple's design team is busy making 10K gold watches. Gone are the days of "Hello I'm a PC". 
    Trying what? Putting a keyboard/cover in some fancy material. I'm sure it will be uber expensive. And we all know Apple is doing more than working on gold watches. You'll need to try harder there.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    Still a niche market, but at least they're healthy. My company will never switch to Mac (and thank god since I depend on Access) but I enjoy having Macs at home and want them to stay relevant.
    If you need to run Access on a Mac just install Windows using Bootcamp. Macs run Windows as good or better than most PCs.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    It's a blatant ripoff, sure, but at the same time I have to applaud them for trying while Apple's design team is busy making 10K gold watches. Gone are the days of "Hello I'm a PC". 
    Trying what? Putting a keyboard/cover in some fancy material. I'm sure it will be uber expensive. And we all know Apple is doing more than working on gold watches. You'll need to try harder there.
    For one thing, my comment was flush with irony. Please, by all means illuminate us what exactly Apple has been working on product-design-wise in the last year(s). It ain't new Macs, peripherals or accessories, that's for sure. 
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 37 of 40
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,526member
    danvm said:
    spheric said:

    The Surface is a pretty desperate attempt to leverage the past — Windows dominance — for a foothold into the future — the touch-based tablet market, which Microsoft has absolutely failed at.

    Combining the legacy interface with touch-based interface into two disparate modes on a single device is not a long-term strategy looking forward. Legacy computing will remain as it is, and become more specialised, while touch tablets will become ever more potent and take over more and more aspects of "regular" computing over the next decade(s). 

    You call the Surface a "desperate attempt", and that applies to Apple by pushing iPad Pro as desktop replacements.  With Surface Pro I can run my desktop applications (I think you call them legacy), when it's needed, plus use mobile / touch optimized apps when you want to.  Compare that to the iPad Pro, which in my opinion, the best tablet, but fails as a "desktop replacement", since all apps and iOS are design for touch.  And then you add the ergonomic POV, which is awful

    IMO, Apple "desperate attempt" of pushing iPads Pro as desktop replacements is not a good idea.  I remember when Tim Cook say that the Surface Pro was a toaster / fridge.  What is worst is how they try to force the toaster to work as a fridge (iPad Pro as desktop replacement).  Right now, the toaster / fridge (Surface Pro) is a better desktop replacement than the iPad Pro.  If Apple want to make iPad Pro a real desktop replacement, they have to do a lot of changes. 
    Luckily for Microsoft, the iPad is a static platform, and no changes have been made over the past five years to increase its capabilities. Now, if only Apple had developer support, they might stand a chance...
    6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 38 of 40
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    spheric said:
    What a useless headline, and it just goes to show what a useless metric market share is. 

    Apple's sales DECLINED year over year. They just declined slightly less than the industry average. 

    While it's certainly worth reporting the numbers, spinning this as a "win" is ridiculous. 
    Thanks for calling a spade a spade. In fact, considering the Mac's overall state of stagnation (largely thanks to Intel's haphazard chipset releases as well), I'm amazed growth has only declined by 2% (according to the first graph). Imagine the boon to sales, should Apple finally issue meaningful product updates.

    In my case, I've been stalling a MacBook Pro and iMac upgrade for over 4 years now, despite 2,5y being my usual cadence for purchasing new equipment. I was contemplating a Mac Pro, even, but by the look of things I'm glad I held my horses. The recent years' Mac offerings simply aren't good enough to merit the additional expense. 
    Many are stalling, really. I'm still seeing Core2Duo and Core2Quad systems around - we are talking machines from around 2008. What they can do is fine for most users - web, email, FB, documents. Unless machine died, motive for replacement is quite low.

    Of course, some companies have scheduled/budgeted hardware replacements every 3 - 5 years, and power users and enthusiasts want/need to have latest and greatest... otherwise, we would see even bigger decline. Especially in desktops segment. With laptops, moving to new iCore makes sense because of better battery life and thermals, but with desktops? moving from any i5 or i7 to latest Skylake parts doesn't make that much sense at all. Even Core2 can still run Office just fine, poping in SSD (instead of faster CPU) will create more visible improvements for majority of users.

    However, results in recent sales does not necessarily represent situation in market-share, user-base wise. I think there is higher % of enthusiasts among Mac users who simply want new machine, even if old one is still doing fine... then on Windows side, where PC is just a tool for much larger % of users, and desire to replace something still functional is lower in general. 
    6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Interesting that these highly inaccurate figures get thrown about. If one looks at OSx marketshare it currently has under 4.5% of the world market. https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

  • Reply 40 of 40
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,526member
    RickOSHay said:
    Interesting that these highly inaccurate figures get thrown about. If one looks at OSx marketshare it currently has under 4.5% of the world market. https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

    You've not only dredged up a thread with YEAR-OLD data, you've also shown that you cannot tell the difference between unit sales and internet usage statistics. 

    Well done! 
    tallest skil
Sign In or Register to comment.