Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I'm sure there's an app for that,

but a FU**ING QR CODE?!!?
  • Reply 42 of 51
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    why- said:
    I've been using windows since Windows 95 and never had a BSOD. guess i should consider myself lucky
    You should consider yourself fucking anointed if that's true.
  • Reply 43 of 51
    How about bring it into the modern era and just have it show a giant turd emoji instead? 

They'd have to show it constantly on the desktop and start menu then!
  • Reply 44 of 51
    why- said:
    I've been using windows since Windows 95 and never had a BSOD. guess i should consider myself lucky

If you've been using Windows since Windows 95, you should never consider yourself lucky!
  • Reply 45 of 51
    foggyhill said:
    AHAHAHAHHA, crashes friendlier.... Good grief MS, make us laugh.
    I'll remember that next time I need to do something urgently and things crashes; I'll remember how friendly the info about my doom was.. (sic).

Actually, the line of thinking is not new. IE has this option of displaying "HTTP Friendly Error Messages" which isn't a very useful option at all.
  • Reply 46 of 51
    wertywerty Posts: 1member
    Its curious that MS are focusing attention on this screen when they should be trying to deal with the bugs that cause it. In my experience Windows 10 is the least stable OS in 10 years. What's also frustrating is IT sites claiming what a great OS it is. Im back on windows 8 after wasting many hours trying to get win 10 stable. MS should be totally embarassed at this shambles and it should be being more widely reported. This fiasco is helping me and I suspect lots more users to seriously consider the shift to Apple.

• Reply 47 of 51
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    werty said:
    Its curious that MS are focusing attention on this screen when they should be trying to deal with the bugs that cause it. In my experience Windows 10 is the least stable OS in 10 years. What's also frustrating is IT sites claiming what a great OS it is. Im back on windows 8 after wasting many hours trying to get win 10 stable. MS should be totally embarassed at this shambles and it should be being more widely reported. This fiasco is helping me and I suspect lots more users to seriously consider the shift to Apple.

Windows 8 (plain) was not stable, or great, but 8.1 had fixed most bugs.
  • Reply 48 of 51
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    auxio said:
    rob53 said:
    ... as often" Macs do crash, at least mine does on occasion. Mail's been crashing more than it ever has.
    Right, but that's simply an application crashing within Mac OS X, not Mac OS X itself crashing.  The problem is that the Windows BSOD is Windows itself crashing and requires a reboot.

The only time I've seen Mac OS X crash these days is on my wife's old 2010 MacBook Pro (where the actual hardware seems to be failing).
    Yes and no. Since MS dropped old drivers model and ironed new one with Vista SP1, BSODS have become rare on Windows. Of course hardware problems will trigger them - there is hardly workaround for faulty RAM or corrupted data due to HDD developing bad blocks - but beside that, Windows is much more resilient nowadays. Even GPU drivers' crash - guaranteed BSOD back in XP days - can be dealt with without OS crash.

Maybe I was lucky - but I'm thinking mostly down to careful selection of devices and PC parts for gaming rig, I haven't seen BSOD on any of my computers since above mentioned Vista SP1. Some apps, games (especially with beta GPU drivers), yes, though even those are extremely rare nowadays... but no impact on OS stability.

Probably much worst on low-end... but we shouldn't expect that $200 laptop will perform just as well as $2000 laptop, sans cool metal body.
  • Reply 49 of 51
    auxio said:

mike1 said:
    If only that were true. Worked in an office with a Mac-equipped design team and they too experienced complete crashes.
    My wife works in graphic design, and 9.9 times out of 10 when she's experienced a crash, it's due to some junky/poorly supported 3rd party hardware like a scanner or printer which was causing compatibility issues (poor quality/outdated drivers, etc).
    I think this is applicable to every OS out there.
  • Reply 50 of 51
    werty said:

Keeping one eye closed, are we?

I can recall seeing quite a few complains about latest OSX problems after release. Problems are common after new OS releases in general, and more hardware is supposed to run on OS, more potential problems you can have.

We have adopted W10 in our office soon after release, though we are still not encouraging our customers to upgrade. Our experience is good, quite surprisingly so. No driver-less devices on any machine, stable wired and wireless network, no visual or audio glitches, no stability issues. That being said, our office equipment is solid - Cisco and Meraki networking, Xerox network printers etc. Software is also standardized - MS Office, ConnectWise, Aventail for VPN, Kaseya for customers' management/remote access.

I have all my machines upgraded to Win 10 by now, and as far as my problems go:

My work laptop, Acer Travelmate P645s, shut down on it's own twice, back in early August. Event log pointed to issue with CPU power state. Drivers and BIOS update later, issue stopped.

Surface Pro 3 will on occasion not connect to my home wireless after wake from sleep, so I have to tap on wireless icon in systray and then it connects automatically, no further input needed (it opens list of visible wifis and connects to my home one automatically). That's a bit strange one. Don't know if it is Surface/W10 or my Linksys router related. Luckily it never drops wifi while being used, so I take this as minor one; much better than my mother's iPad Mini which does drop wifi quite often and has to be manually re-connected (though her problem is likely down to her crappy router as well, even if other devices don't drop as often, or at all).

My media PC (custom built AMD Phenom box) crashed XBMC media player once. It is very old machine and GPU is over 5 years old itself, plus it was entry level... so I doubt Nvidia is putting much effort in supporting this product. Anyway, XBMC crashed, Win 10 did not.

My spare HP Elitebook 8570p, working great so far - no crashes or any perceivable glitches. It is not used much, though, so it is probably not fair one for evaluation of OS.

My gaming rig (custom built i7, quality components, Haswell with R9 280X by Asus), rock solid, and sees more use than any other machine. Actively playing The Division, Planetside 2, Blade & Soul... using a lot of Photoshop and Lightroom, some CorelDRAW, Office, you name it. I did clean install on this one after getting new SSD, 2 months ago... so it was the last machine I have put on Win10... Not a single issue, really, in two month of intensive daily use. The Division crashed once but it was server side, none of us (friends playing in team) could reconnect for a while after that.

There is no fiasco with Win 10. Already over 200 million devices running it, and positive feedback in general.