Amazon launches $290 Kindle Oasis, its thinnest e-reader ever

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    wizard69 said:

Why do they bother to compare this to Apples Mini iPad.   The devices are two completely different concepts, on is a book reader the other a general purpose tablet. 
    You're right... they are two different types of devices.

But I think they're trying to explain what else you can get for the same amount of money.  Something with more than one purpose.

An iPad can become a Kindle thanks to the Kindle iOS app.  And tons of other things too.

But a Kindle can never become an iPad.
    I have the Kindle app on my iPhone and iPad but still prefer reading on my Kindle.  iPhone is to small (5S) and iPad too heavy for long periods of reading.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    This recalls the movie Alive (1993). Survivors of that plane crash would have killed for one of these devices.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    icoco3 said:

But I think they're trying to explain what else you can get for the same amount of money.  Something with more than one purpose.

An iPad can become a Kindle thanks to the Kindle iOS app.  And tons of other things too.

I have the Kindle app on my iPhone and iPad but still prefer reading on my Kindle.  iPhone is to small (5S) and iPad too heavy for long periods of reading.
    Try an iPhone 6+ (6.07oz) / 6s+ (6.77oz) - it's the perfect size and weight to read in any orientation, big enough and doesn't tire out your hands. However I admit 4.6oz for the Kindle sounds pretty good - but my 6s+ is plenty good enough to avoid dealing with another device.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    icoco3 said:
    Try an iPhone 6+ (6.07oz) / 6s+ (6.77oz) - it's the perfect size and weight to read in any orientation, big enough and doesn't tire out your hands. However I admit 4.6oz for the Kindle sounds pretty good - but my 6s+ is plenty good enough to avoid dealing with another device.
    Maybe when I upgrade.  Although, I did read a few books on my old 3GS (pre kindle and iPad) so that was definitely straining.

Also, the Kindle allows me to purchase media which can't be done on the App for the iPhone and iPad.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 25 of 38
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    wizard69 said:

Why do they bother to compare this to Apples Mini iPad.   The devices are two completely different concepts, on is a book reader the other a general purpose tablet. 

But, for many people, an iPad will never be the ideal device for reading non-paper books. The type of screen makes it impossible. I own both devices and for book reading, I prefer paper, then my Kindle Paperwhite, then if necessary my iPad. The Kindles do one thing and they do it very well. Not for everybody, but it is for many. They make devices at all price points, so what's wrong with them offering a premium e-reader experience for those customers that want it. 
    icoco3afrodri
  • Reply 26 of 38
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Looks like a great premium e-reader. The cover that will automatically charge the kindle when stored in it is a really nice touch. I am still using my Kindle Touch 3G and enjoying the heck out of it and I've been pondering the Paperwhite. I'm not sure I could step up to this but there are a subset of Kindle users that are quite serious about their devices and all the reading they do on them. Plus Amazon regularly discounts their hardware at various times throughout the year. 
  • Reply 27 of 38
    irnchriz said:
    Tried reading on a kindle and just hated it, the screen resolution was woeful, I'd much rather read a real book or on my iPad with its crystal clear crisp text.
    Mainline retina iPads and the Pros are 264PPI vs the 300 of the Paperwhite, Voyage, and Oasis. Even the iPad Mini is only 326. Do try to know what you're talking about. 
    cnocbuiafrodri
  • Reply 28 of 38
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    maestro64 said:

What is the world coming to Amaizon is actually trying to make a profit. What is everyone going to do if they actually have to pay what something is actually worth.

The bigger question is, will this thing be free of Amazon nagware trying to get to buy other stuff.

I know my wife likes her Knidle and it is much easier to read books on verse an ipad.

If Amazon ever makes a profit, their stock will instantly collapse to 0.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    My Kindle just effectively died.  The 1st one had a screen badness which Amazon declined to replace, and the second one, the battery holds its charge for only 5 minutes.  Perhaps it was the recent software "upgrade?"  I won't be getting another one of these.  The iPad3 is long in the tooth and seeming slow, but at least it still works, damn it all (I'd love a new iPad Pro, but this one keeps on working.)
  • Reply 30 of 38
    The iPad has zero functionality outdoors because the LCD is painfully difficult to see or read text.  The Kindle excels with exceptional readability outdoors in bright sunlight, and lighter than an iPad.  The battery last much longer too.  These idiot tech writers need to stop comparing e-Readers to tablets.  
    cnocbuiicoco3
  • Reply 31 of 38
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    The iPad has zero functionality outdoors because the LCD is painfully difficult to see or read text.  The Kindle excels with exceptional readability outdoors in bright sunlight, and lighter than an iPad.  The battery last much longer too.  These idiot tech writers need to stop comparing e-Readers to tablets.  
    I understand how the Kindle screen is better in certain situations.  However, one is more likely to be reading on a plane or subway car than sitting on picnic blanket in the sun. On the public transport, the iPad screen does pretty well.  

I put up with carrying multiple devices for a long time . . . I can't be the only one that hauled around a phone, a Palm, an iPod, and maybe something else too. I don't want to go back to that. I don't need to carry around a reader for bright sunlight situations, an iPad, a phone, etc.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    jbdragon said:
    ....It's also a snap to check out ebooks from my local Library's and I don't even have to go there. I can do it online going to "Overdrive". Go Google that. But you can check out ebooks and Audio books for FREE. Your Taxes pay for your local Library's, why not make some use of them.
    The OverDrive app works on iPhone, iPad and iTouch, iOS 7.0 and up. Hoping you are not a librarian, and if not, while at the (online) library, check out, in English grammar section, the plural of "library", capitalization (library), (Audio books)(ebooks). If you are a librarian...deny it and disappear into the stacks. Quickly.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    You think USD $290 is expensive, ha! This is what us Canucks would pay if we were even remotely interested. Damn, our Canadian dollar sucks, lol. Now, at this price point, it's a better measure to an iPad mini 4. Though, these are really two different product categories altogether. 

• Reply 34 of 38
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    smaceslin said:
    Still prefer reading electronic books on my Kindle. Much easier on the eyes than my iPad -- and one can read outside in bright sunlight as well.
    Kobo Aura HD here, but yeah... I guess younger generations will not care much - if at all - but for my eyes, used to reading paper books for over 4 decades, it still means something when digital media simulates paper. And daylight reading really looks good. I can and do read from LCD tablets as well, but if I can choose, eInk it is.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Look like an interesting design, although the marketing photo AI chose to lead with makes the thing look quite clunky.  But 3mm is rather thin. About as thin as the bezel on my Apple wireless keyboard. Pity Amazon couldn't manage to get the thing to run on a couple AAA batteries, it sounds like the "spine" segment is thick enough to support them. Then no need for the clunky dock device.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    Love my 2nd Gen Kindle Paperwhite. Busted through a lot of books on it this year. Just a nice way to unwind before bed.

This guy, like the Voyager seems to trying to carve out a premium e-reader space. I'm curious if people who buy these devices really think they're worth the price over the stellar Paperwhite?
  • Reply 37 of 38
    duervoduervo Posts: 73member
    Only three keys on the keychain? That alone is enough to alert me to the fantasy in this announcement. I can't remember the last time I only had three keys on my keychain. I currently have six on mine, and a USB flash drive.

Not to mention the fact that I don't usually find myself distracted by the device I am using to read ebooks. That's not distracting. If they think that is, they should try sitting on the deck with a four year-old turning on a bubble machine and having the absolute best.time.ever. Any ebooks are very quickly forgotten for me in that setting. But hey, "I'm Amazon, and I want to make money, so let's bring some attention to a 'problem' that most people didn't know they had, and then provide a 'solution' to that 'problem', and we'll call it Kindle Oasis!"
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 38 of 38
    duervo said:
    Only three keys on the keychain? That alone is enough to alert me to the fantasy in this announcement. I can't remember the last time I only had three keys on my keychain. I currently have six on mine, and a USB flash drive.

There's only two keys on my key chain.
    My car and house key is all I need....hauling around extra keys that you don't use daily is pointless.