Rumor again claims Apple's 'iPhone 7' will ditch headphone jack for Lightning EarPods, sport Smart

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    volcan said:
    I guess I'll be buying an ugly dongle. I'm certainly not planning to replace my expensive noise cancelation headphones.
    I don't want a stupid dongle for my phone - it's not like a laptop accessory which you bring around in a bag - I'll never have it with me and I don't want to buy 10 of them for every jack in my house!. Also who wants to deal with charging their headphones - I use my once a month tops - which means I'm never gonna find them charged.

If true, this is a gave grave mistake by apple. I'm not upgrading for as long as I can hold out over this. I think it will cost them tons of sales.
    I agree completely. How will we be able to keep our iPhones plugged into the wall while we use the missing analog audio port? We'll have to wait and see how our wired analog headphones will be accommodated. If they won't, then I like you will stop upgrading to the next iPhone. I find this idea of removing the 3.5mm analog audio port to be a very inexplicable change for the sake of change. There's going to need to be a keep charging from the wall at the same time we can use our wired headphones solution included with the iPhone 7 or suddenly loyal annual upgraders like us will stop upgrading. I am thoroughly satisfied with my iPhone 6s Plus' feature set. So ceasing to upgrade to the 7 won't be hard to do. In fact the effect of removing the analog audio port will be a direct cause for me to stop buying annually until they put it back in a future model.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 22 of 40
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I don't want a stupid dongle for my phone - it's not like a laptop accessory which you bring around in a bag - I'll never have it with me and I don't want to buy 10 of them for every jack in my house!. Also who wants to deal with charging their headphones - I use my once a month tops - which means I'm never gonna find them charged.

If true, this is a gave grave mistake by apple. I'm not upgrading for as long as I can hold out over this. I think it will cost them tons of sales.
    I agree completely. How will we be able to keep our iPhones plugged into the wall while we use the missing analog audio port? We'll have to wait and see how our wired analog headphones will be accommodated. If they won't, then I like you will stop upgrading to the next iPhone. I find this idea of removing the 3.5mm analog audio port to be a very inexplicable change for the sake of change. There's going to need to be a keep charging from the wall at the same time we can use our wired headphones solution included with the iPhone 7 or suddenly loyal annual upgraders like us will stop upgrading. I am thoroughly satisfied with my iPhone 6s Plus' feature set. So ceasing to upgrade to the 7 won't be hard to do. In fact the effect of removing the analog audio port will be a direct cause for me to stop buying annually until they put it back in a future model.
    Let’s see if you actually follow through on your threats. Talk is cheap.
    levi
  • Reply 23 of 40
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    lkrupp said:
    I wasn't making a threat. Just my current mindset based on very little information. My use of the lightning port all the time to keep my iPhones plugged into the wall almost all the time is why I'm having trouble accepting the removal of the analog audio port. Also what about all the DJ's who need to keep their music loaded iPhones plugged into the wall while using the analog audio port connected to their mixers at the same time?

I'm just sayin' based on what little info we have so far, it seems like Apple doesn't think there are a significant number of iPhone owners who like to use both the power port and the audio port simultaneously.

I'm saying based on this premise Apple is going to need to include a male lightning to BOTH a 3.5mm analog audio female AND a female lightning port on the other side. If they do that then I would probably buy it.
    edited April 2016 calitallest skil
  • Reply 24 of 40
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    volcan said:
    lkrupp said:

You bring up an interesting point that was discussed on MacBreak Weekly when the headphone jack rumors first started. How angry and pissed off about this would an Apple user have to be to actually switch platforms? The same thing happened when the 30 pin connector was replaced by the lighting port, when the DVD superdrive was removed from the iMac. The outrage and venom was all over the spectrum but how many actually followed through? It's one thing to anonymously vent your rage on a web forum, swear on a sick of bibles you will switch to Android. It's another thing all together to actually do it. Apple hasn't been seriously damaged by any of the decisions it made that 'outraged' a certain cadre of users. Talk is cheap but it costs money to do something about that talk.
    I understand why they are ditching it. Analog sound quality is inferior to digital audio. Some high end headphones have USB HD audio but to use that on an iPhone you would still need a dongle.
    Uh no, by definition analog signals are better since they are not sampled. HD precisely means that the signal's definition is high... Analog signals have an infinite definition. 
    calitokyojimu
  • Reply 25 of 40
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    volcan said:

I understand why they are ditching it. Analog sound quality is inferior to digital audio. Some high end headphones have USB HD audio but to use that on an iPhone you would still need a dongle.
    Analogue sound quality is the only sort you can hear, and it is not inferior to digital audio.
    mattinozstaticx57calipscooter63dasanman69tokyojimu
  • Reply 26 of 40
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    I'm not seeing the resemblance to Bender. 
  • Reply 27 of 40
    The core issue is - 3.5mm headphone jacks have been around forever and are a standard for new and old legacy equipment. The replacement cycle for audio equipment is years to decades - it is a different industry then the fast paced computer industry and as such no comparison with the lighting or usb ports are truly relevant. Apple is good about forcing change the computer industry - but audio ports are *not* the computer industry - and it doesn't have the monopoly on audio peripherals that it does on computer peripherals . 

I have speaker systems, professional headphones, amps, that are fine and I'll keep for decades and they use 3.5mm analog inputs. I'm not getting a phone that doesn't play nice with my legacy equipment. 

Apple can easily make a waterproof compactor, shrink it some more and fit it somewhere - it trivial engineering, they are just being pig headed (again assuming this rumor is true!)
    cnocbui
  • Reply 28 of 40
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    lkrupp said:
    I wasn't making a threat. Just my current mindset based on very little information. My use of the lightning port all the time to keep my iPhones plugged into the wall almost all the time is why I'm having trouble accepting the removal of the analog audio port. Also what about all the DJ's who need to keep their music loaded iPhones plugged into the wall while using the analog audio port connected to their mixers at the same time?

I'm just sayin' based on what little info we have so far, it seems like Apple doesn't think there are a significant number of iPhone owners who like to use both the power port and the audio port simultaneously.

I'm saying based on this premise Apple is going to need to include a male lightning to BOTH a 3.5mm analog audio female AND a female lightning port on the other side. If they do that then I would probably buy it.
    You proceed from the idea that Apple hasn't given any of this any thought. By the way, my current Lightning dock allows me to leave my phone plugged in and charging while giving me access to a 3.5mm jack now.

The simplest solution is one that's been around since electricity was invented -- a pass through adapter which anyone who's ever decorated a Christmas tree with lights, knows intimately. Problem solved.

To the extent this is still too cumbersome, the possibility of the smart connector ports as a charging port completely solves this problem without any additional specialized equipment. 

And if you're still not sold, how about an extra capacity battery case that makes contact via the Smart Connector, and offers a 3.5mm audio jack built into it, which also draws its data from the smart connector? That solves all of your problems, and then some.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    lkrupp said:
    volcan said:
    I guess I'll be buying an ugly dongle. I'm certainly not planning to replace my expensive noise cancelation headphones.

You bring up an interesting point that was discussed on MacBreak Weekly when the headphone jack rumors first started. How angry and pissed off about this would an Apple user have to be to actually switch platforms? The same thing happened when the 30 pin connector was replaced by the lighting port, when the DVD superdrive was removed from the iMac. The outrage and venom was all over the spectrum but how many actually followed through? It's one thing to anonymously vent your rage on a web forum, swear on a stack of bibles you will switch to Android. It's another thing all together to actually do it. Apple hasn't been seriously damaged by any of the decisions it made that 'outraged' a certain cadre of users. Talk is cheap but it costs money to do something about that talk.
    If only it were that simple.

this isn't even in the same league. I was a huge supporter of lightning and the doom articles were beyond stupid but this is completely different, I don't even know how you can compare them.
    in those old cases we were going from good tech to better tech. This idea is great tech to inferior tech.

Apple owning Beats is scary. I own high end headphones and would hate to be forced into buying Beats if these rumors materialize. Maybe manufacturers will adopt lightning but if the iPhone accepts Bluetooth only then the market will flood with crap headphones/earbuds.

Maybe Apple has figured out how to make superior Bluetooth/lightning headphones that put Seinnheiser to shame?
  • Reply 30 of 40
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    xbit said:
    Fingers crossed that Apple makes some headphones that stay in your ear and don't leak sound like crazy on their 200th attempt.
    I wanna see wireless earbuds that adapt left and right depending on which ear they're placed in.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    cali said:
    lkrupp said:

You bring up an interesting point that was discussed on MacBreak Weekly when the headphone jack rumors first started. How angry and pissed off about this would an Apple user have to be to actually switch platforms? The same thing happened when the 30 pin connector was replaced by the lighting port, when the DVD superdrive was removed from the iMac. The outrage and venom was all over the spectrum but how many actually followed through? It's one thing to anonymously vent your rage on a web forum, swear on a stack of bibles you will switch to Android. It's another thing all together to actually do it. Apple hasn't been seriously damaged by any of the decisions it made that 'outraged' a certain cadre of users. Talk is cheap but it costs money to do something about that talk.
    If only it were that simple.

this isn't even in the same league. I was a huge supporter of lightning and the doom articles were beyond stupid but this is completely different, I don't even know how you can compare them.
    in those old cases we were going from good tech to better tech. This idea is great tech to inferior tech.

Apple owning Beats is scary. I own high end headphones and would hate to be forced into buying Beats if these rumors materialize. Maybe manufacturers will adopt lightning but if the iPhone accepts Bluetooth only then the market will flood with crap headphones/earbuds.

Maybe Apple has figured out how to make superior Bluetooth/lightning headphones that put Seinnheiser to shame?
    It's not mutually exclusive. High end headphones arguably better than Seinnheiser already exist with USB interfaces, some with optional Lightning connections. Whether you chose to buy them or Apple's brand or not is up to you, but the reality is you already have a choice of digital headphones, including some fine ones. This is the least of the arguments against this move.
  • Reply 32 of 40

The device bears a striking resemblance to Futurama's Bender.

No. Seriously. There is no resemblance to Bender. You probably think the dual camera opening looks like his eyes and just decided the whole thing looked uncannily like him.

Where are the hands and legs on the iPhone? Where are the teeth? The antenna?

edited April 2016
  • Reply 33 of 40
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    clemynx said:
    volcan said:
    Uh no, by definition analog signals are better since they are not sampled. HD precisely means that the signal's definition is high... Analog signals have an infinite definition. 
    The music is already digitally sampled by it arrives on your iPhone. At this point, analogue signals are not 'better'. 
  • Reply 34 of 40
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    volcan said:

I understand why they are ditching it. Analog sound quality is inferior to digital audio. .
    Not by definition.  Besides, context is everything.  One format could be sonically superior than another but so much of IOS music is used for background or in environments where even a mastering engineer couldn't hear the difference that there's a bit of tail wagging the dog in this upgrade.  

xbit said:
    clemynx said:
    The music is already digitally sampled by it arrives on your iPhone. At this point, analogue signals are not 'better'. 
    Good point.  But the fact that we can only hear analog means that it has to get D/A'd at some point, even if the material has been digital since the source.  And that makes the end user theoretical sonic advantage fairly moot, since it has to get converted in the earbuds (digital earbuds) or in the device (analog earbuds), and if 15% of IOS users were using them for really *listening* to music in quiet environments it would be a generous guess.  The main thing it's doing it taking the job of the conversion out of the device, and something else can fill in that space or it can get thinner.

My main gripe is that Bluetooth isn't the greatest path for audio.  Apple has their job cut out for them making it work perfectly and transparently.  Bluetooth, to me, is really the wildcard, not that there's no analog output in the connector.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    volcan said:

People said the same thing on Floppy Disk slot, CD Slot on Mac and 30-pin connector. Technology need to move on and as Tim Cook said, it's always going to be tradeoffs...
  • Reply 36 of 40
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

volcan said:
    lkrupp said:

You bring up an interesting point that was discussed on MacBreak Weekly when the headphone jack rumors first started. How angry and pissed off about this would an Apple user have to be to actually switch platforms? The same thing happened when the 30 pin connector was replaced by the lighting port, when the DVD superdrive was removed from the iMac. The outrage and venom was all over the spectrum but how many actually followed through? It's one thing to anonymously vent your rage on a web forum, swear on a sick of bibles you will switch to Android. It's another thing all together to actually do it. Apple hasn't been seriously damaged by any of the decisions it made that 'outraged' a certain cadre of users. Talk is cheap but it costs money to do something about that talk.
    I understand why they are ditching it. Analog sound quality is inferior to digital audio.
    Huh? You got no clue, dude! Digital sound is effing inferior in fact!
  • Reply 37 of 40
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    cali said:
    xbit said:
    Fingers crossed that Apple makes some headphones that stay in your ear and don't leak sound like crazy on their 200th attempt.
    I wanna see wireless earbuds that adapt left and right depending on which ear they're placed in.
    Why? 
  • Reply 38 of 40
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    Most high-end phones have camera bumps. Why is it only Apple that gets shit for this?

The new HTC phone doesn't have a flush camera. Neither does the new Samsung or LG phones.

And even phones that do like the new Huawei phone I certainly wouldn't call it elegant looking. Seems to me camera quality is more important than whether the phone has a small camera bump or not.
    The reason for the bump has to do with shadows. With such a small camera size, a "frame" around the lens blocks some of the light. If you go take a look at any point-and-shoot camera, you'd notice that either the lens protrudes, or there is a "stair-step" down to the lens from the lens-mount. It's not a style thing.

What Apple (and others) should be doing is twinning the camera to create stereo-images and HDR/depth(IR). Unfortunately existing "3D" cameras don't have the lens separated far enough to really create much of a 3D effect.

The only reason people are complaining about the bump, is because it's off-center so the camera isn't flush with a table and thus requires a bumper or case to be able to use it flat.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    lukei said:
    Why? 
    Assumedly so that you don’t have to care when you pick them up. How they’d manage that, on the other hand, is a story in itself. I’d prefer a “goes around the back of the head” setup with just one piece so that the band itself is the battery.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    As a habitual listener of AM and podcasts on my phone, I am a heavy user of the iPhones 3.5 mm jack.  It is imperfect technology and the first part of the phone to show wear.

If the rumors are true count me in Apple... Plus it makes the Beat's acquisition sound like the smartest decision ever.  Think about all those Beats headphones that will get to be sold to the millennials for the second time.