CBS tvOS app gets Apple TV universal search integration

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
CBS this week became the latest streaming provider to tap into Apple TV's universal search APIs, adding to a growing list of apps that let surface first-party content via text and Siri voice search.

With its content indexed on Apple's platform, CBS' official tvOS title will be presented as a viewing option when fourth-generation Apple TV owners search for popular shows like "NCIS" and "The Big Bang Theory," even if the app is not currently installed on a user's device. Previously, searches for the network's content would display results from iTunes, Netflix and Hulu.

Apple markets universal search as a tentpole feature tied to the set-top box's Siri feature. The tool lets users find shows and other media from anywhere in the tvOS interface through text, dictation or Siri voice request. For example, a search for "NCIS" returns a dedicated content page with viewing options from iTunes, Hulu and, as of the recent addition, CBS.

When the latest Apple TV hardware hit store shelves last November, universal search was initially limited to iTunes, Netflix, HBO, Hulu and Showtime. A month before launch, Apple promised to open the API up to third-party developers, though content owners have been slow to build in support. PBS was one of the first providers to take advantage of the APIs and integrated its library into universal search in January.

Most recently, ABC, Disney Channel, Disney Jr. and Disney XD integrated their respective video libraries with tvOS universal search in February, while Fox Now, FX Now and Nat Geo TV built in support earlier that month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    Great.  Now when I search for "crap" EVERY CBS show will be listed.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    rfrmacrfrmac Posts: 89member
    When oh When is Apple going to give me access to my entire iTunes movie library by the use of Siri?  That is what the product really needs.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    I signed up for free CBS all access for a week to try on Apple-TV. The CBS app on Apple TV said activated/log-in but when I go to watch shows or live TV, it displays screen where I was offer to link with my account but than nothing happens which click, didn't let me link Apple-TV CBS app to my account so cancel it. Many TV and non-TV Apps work just fine on Apple-TV but some need work for seamless integration with your service provider subscription credentials. I am still hopeful for apps from two idiots - SLING and Amazon Instant Video to support Apple-TV. CNBC app works but have some issues in log-in validation area..
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 4 of 10
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I imagine there is a direct correlation between the quality of Siri on AppleTV vs. iOS and the lack of developer API for Siri Search on AppleTV.

It is no secret that Siri works far better on AppleTV than on iOS. And obviously because, integrating Siri into a native App for AppleTV requires more than just the developers...Apple needs to be directly involved, likely because there is some low level integration with the OS that is not exposed to developers via an API.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 5 of 10
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    Don't care since CBS is a separate subscription. I'll never use it. Why can't they be like ABC, NBC, and Fox and offer it up free with cable log-in credentials?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    supadav03 said:
    Don't care since CBS is a separate subscription. I'll never use it. Why can't they be like ABC, NBC, and Fox and offer it up free with cable log-in credentials?
    Well...because they want you to pay twice for their content, of course. I refuse. CBS is the one network I do not watch for just this reason. I'm not paying.

IIRC, there is a CBS Sports app that is separate, and does live stream CBS sporting events. But then, I get OTA CBS just fine, so I hardly need Siri for that. OK, maybe it has on screen stats and replay, but those aren't particularly interesting to me.

rfrmac said:
    When oh When is Apple going to give me access to my entire iTunes movie library by the use of Siri?  That is what the product really needs.
    I find I hardly ever use the Siri search feature on Apple TV. I'm one of those people that knows what I now wish to watch. 

That said, I'm hopeful the product will develop. Plenty of potential as a set top box, including OTA content. A feature I would really dig would be a image processing system that identifies a "fingerprint" of know commercials, then substitutes user-selected options: simply mute, blank screen, other content, or if a user opts in and sets up, other commercials of the users genre that the user then gets a fee to display (like $.005?) credited to some account for use for...something.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    eightzero said:
    supadav03 said:
    Well...because they want you to pay twice for their content, of course. I refuse. CBS is the one network I do not watch for just this reason. I'm not paying.

IIRC, there is a CBS Sports app that is separate, and does live stream CBS sporting events. But then, I get OTA CBS just fine, so I hardly need Siri for that. OK, maybe it has on screen stats and replay, but those aren't particularly interesting to me.

I find I hardly ever use the Siri search feature on Apple TV. I'm one of those people that knows what I now wish to watch. 

That said, I'm hopeful the product will develop. Plenty of potential as a set top box, including OTA content. A feature I would really dig would be a image processing system that identifies a "fingerprint" of know commercials, then substitutes user-selected options: simply mute, blank screen, other content, or if a user opts in and sets up, other commercials of the users genre that the user then gets a fee to display (like $.005?) credited to some account for use for...something.
    Your totally a retired person 
  • Reply 8 of 10
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    eightzero said:

Your totally a retired person 
    Soon.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    Still plenty of apps I'd like to see on the Apple TV. Amazon Video, Vudu, Max Go, AMC, TNT, TruTv, Sling TV, PS Vue, Big Ten & Pac-12 Networks. I've pretty much given up hope of U-verse, Xfinity, or Direct TV apps coming based on the direction they are going ( i.e. X1 box with voice control)
  • Reply 10 of 10
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    supadav03 said:
    Still plenty of apps I'd like to see on the Apple TV. Amazon Video, Vudu, Max Go, AMC, TNT, TruTv, Sling TV, PS Vue, Big Ten & Pac-12 Networks. I've pretty much given up hope of U-verse, Xfinity, or Direct TV apps coming based on the direction they are going ( i.e. X1 box with voice control)
    Wait? So Vudu isn't on the Apple TV? I could never buy this til that was available. Vudu is my min source for movies.