Motor Trend spotlights 'Apple Car' development in June cover story

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    volcan said:
    applefan84 said:

A battery like that will take you more than 200 miles, and with current fast charging technology, it can be recharged in minutes, not hours. 
    Although the charging stations are not that plentiful, in some areas such as California it is definitely doable to drive from LA to SF for example. It may take a while longer to charge a battery than to fill a gas tank, but I usually like to take a break from driving every 3-4 hours anyway. Get a bite to eat, stretch the legs, so if you plan your trip it can work out just fine. The key word is plan. Know where the charging stations are along your route. With a gasoline car, you can just drive and when the fuel gets low just look for a gas station sign. EV recharging is not quite there.
    You are correct. I will admit that even though long-distance EV driving is doable, it's not yet as convenient as it is with gasoline cars. I agree with you that planning is a major obstacle to mainstream adoption but if you're comfortable with using an app on your phone and with following directions from your GPS, then it's really no trouble a all. I personally use the PlugShare app, which uses Apple Maps for navigation. It is really great for finding chargers no matter where you are. There is also a vibrant community of users so you can get other useful info from the app, such as warnings if a charging station is out of order and specific directions on how to find the plug, such as "third level in the parking lot next to the Best Buy entrance".

I do hope that some day soon EV charging stations will be as plentiful as gas stations and it will happen even sooner if more people were buying (or at least considering) EVs, and since driving an EV is doable, I feel that for those of us that are able, it is our duty to help accelerate the transition. Since I have had my EV, no less than 5 of my friends have shown an interest in electric cars, which was not there before. Two of them are test driving this weekend. Before they saw my car, they never thought an EV would work for them. This might not sound like much but if everyone of the more than 100 000 EV drivers in California can bring one or two more people to the party, and then those people bring one or two of their friends, and so on, then we are headed for a really bright future.
  • Reply 42 of 49
    Gold  or rose gold color is just fine for the car, if it's Apple car, nothing wrong with having the same col for iPhone and respective vehicle. Not only that some buyers would relish to have that on the outside but also on the inside and maybe some vital parts to be crafted out of that metal. It's very important for a serious company to suit as many tastes as possible, so why not offer gold or rose gold. 
  • Reply 43 of 49
    pdbreske said:
    Why in the f*ck is it gold? I'm not an automobile expert reviewer but everyone I know with a gold car, is 75+ or can't afford a better color.
    Exactly right. I sold cars for a short time and one customer who was in her 60s decided not to buy a gold car because she felt it made her look like an old woman. People who want to be perceived as youthful and fun do not drive gold cars.
    Exactly for those wishing to be trendy there's always rose gold on stock.
  • Reply 44 of 49
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    williamh said:
    The Apple car will have to be a lot thinner.  
    I was thinking twice about this comment and here is my competing childish drawn concept.

Apple Car has to be really thin. Pay attentions to four head bumps for people heads. Car will be operated by iPhone accelerometer and crew will be laying in the car.

I wish nice weekend to everybody. Design is public domain and any artist can pick it up and create artistic rendering of its own. ;-)
  • Reply 45 of 49
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    rob53 said:
    It just shows you how backwards Motor Trend actually is. If you pay them enough money they'll make your car "Car of the Year" without even knowing if it exists!

"Combining what little is known about Apple Car with input from The ArtCenter College of Design, Motor Trend took a stab at rendering an aspirational Apple Car concept. The resulting mockup, inked by Garrett DeBry, is a minimalist mono-space shell riding on an electric drive chassis, a fitting representation of a personally owned vehicle with shared use ambitions." I'd also flunk Garrett because he shows no imagination or understanding of what Apple is all about. There's no way Apple would simply drop an ugly shell on top of a chassis, it would all be one tightly integrated mechanism. I actually wanted to go to this school but couldn't afford it. Looking at their website, I'd rather go with this design instead of the one shown. If we're going to be reporting on rumors, this makes for a better rumor and a much better design.

Year ago I actually gave up on reading several of the "auto" magazines out there. It is so obvious that they where mouthpieces for the auto industry that it defied my expectation of journalism. So anybody putting much faith in auto industry magazines needs to overcome their gullibility. As for this specific article it is obviously speculation just like we see here on AI all the time. That isn't a bad thing really.

I really have no idea which direction Apple will go with this car but I highly doubt the radical design linked to will be it. If they wanted to mass produce this car, to make real money, they will need something that has broad appeal. I'd actually would prefer something more utility like myself, I haven't driven a "car" in years driving instead pickups for their versatility.

Now given that what I would like to see from Apple is the ultimate surfers vehicle. Something like a modernized Woody. Something bigger than today's small Mini Vans but smaller than the commercial vans.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 46 of 49
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    slurpy said:
    These mockups are fucking hideous. Hideous. 

Also, why is it that on all Apple mockups, the logo is splashed EVERYWHERE in such horrible, tacky fashion? Apple is very conservative when using it's logo, I've only ever seen a maximum of ONE on its products, and often its not even in a visible portion. 
    BS.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 47 of 49
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Actually this is the closest I've seen to what I imagine an AppleCar to look like.

And when was the augmented windshield concept thought up?
    I swear I was the first to think of that. Not asking for credit or anything, just curious and a little proud. :)
  • Reply 48 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    JinTech said:
    Are you also voting for Trump?
    You have to go back.
    ...a matter of opinion based on what is known and what is available.
    Nothing is known, and nothing is available. They literally have the entire world of car-related design at their fingertips and they came up with this monstrosity. There is no excuse for it.
    k2kw said:
    Apple's legal department will probably be busy with lawsuits due to Siri driving people into canals and lakes.   Nothing more frightening than Siri and apple maps driving a car.
    Why would you think that Apple is stupid enough to make a "self-driving" car? Also, is it fucking 2012? You look like an idiot making a jab at Apple Maps.
    edited April 2016