Apple salvaged 61 million pounds of recyclable materials in 2015

Posted:
in General Discussion
During its fiscal 2015, Apple managed to recover over 61 million pounds of reusable material out of the almost 90 million pounds in electronics it took in through its recycling programs, according to the company's most recent Environmental Responsibility Report.

The vast majority of reclaimed material was steel, more than 23 million pounds, the report said. This was followed by over 13 million pounds of plastics, and nearly 12 million pounds of glass.

Other materials came in much smaller quantities, even fourth-place aluminum, of which Apple recovered 4.5 million pounds.

The company also took in precious minerals, including 2,204 pounds of gold, and 6,612 pounds of silver. The gold alone was worth approximately $43 million, while the silver amounted to $1.7 million.

Apple put a spotlight on recycling at its March 21 event. There it showed off "Liam," a robot designed to tear apart its devices as efficiently as possible -- both for recycling materials and for stripping out potentially dangerous chemicals.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    That's a tonne of gold… almost.
    calilolliver
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Now we're waiting for is someone to jump in and scream, 'Why don't the make their stuff cheaper?? They can afford it!'

fotoformatcalilolliver
  • Reply 3 of 10
    calicali Posts: 3,494member

Saw this cringeworthy fandroid comment on YouTube:

These fandroid morons wouldn't bother me so much if only they were honest.
    edited April 2016 lolliversteveh
  • Reply 4 of 10
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Sounds like the input was mostly used PCs and Liam didn't have much to do with it.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    LIAM. He has 'a very particular set of skills'!
  • Reply 6 of 10
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    cali said:

Those dumbass Droidys don't seem to realize that by buying Apple, instead of say buying something from Samsung, the profits are mostly spent in the US on well paid skilled technical workers that then have a leverage effect in the creation of future enterprises (through their money or talent).

That those rich people buying phones could spend it on some other things that person doesn't agree with, mostly on expensive products with high profit margins by non US companies or park it in real estate where it has very little future use for society (but it has use for the owner)..

There is also much condescension here for that Chinese factory worker, which may make 10 times more there than he would have done in the countryside and more than he'd do in just about any other factory in China that's not building something Apple.
    Considering the factory worker is doing his phone for the same salary (or most probably worse), not quite sure what's his point.
    In fact, if he's getting the cheap Android phone, he's exploiting those people more because they probably come from the cheapest labor factories around; those not under the Apple spotlight.

Apple should pay more because they're making more? How would that help the one working on their shitty phone?
    Or the one who works for $4 a day making their crappy T-shirt, or most things you have in his apartment.
    Why not ask to pay more for their stuff so the company gives more to the worker hmmmm? I'm pretty sure that hypocrite won't ever do that.

lollivercali
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    cali said:

Yes, this fella clearly makes his own phones from old cabbage leaves; that's the only way he could possibly justify his BS.
    baconstanglollivercali
  • Reply 8 of 10
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    cali said:

Have you ever met one these morons in person? I have. They are so obnoxious and overbearing that literally no one would even consider taking their advice, even family members. So I wouldn't worry too much about them. A few of them do happen to be regulars on AI though.
    lollivercali
  • Reply 9 of 10
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    lkrupp said:
    cali said:

Have you ever met one these morons in person? I have. They are so obnoxious and overbearing that literally no one would even consider taking their advice, even family members. So I wouldn't worry too much about them. A few of them do happen to be regulars on AI though.

Good to know.

I've met one and he was the most annoying "know-it-all" I've ever met. He thought he was smart because he knew what 1080p was. He also treats his wife like shut by constantly saying "duh!" After every question she asks.
    "Do you think LED TVs have a clear picture hun?"
    "Duh!"

What I noticed is that he didn't LIKE android, he just hated Apple. Windows are suddenly superior to Macs but Androids are superior to iPhones.

Needless to say I stopped talking to the ignorant moron but I'm sure he thinks anything but an Apple Watch is superior.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    cali said:

If those Chinese assemblers are being paid $12 for each iPhone assembled, how many phone do you think one could put together in an hour.

Youtube commenters aren't known for being the brightest lights on the tree, and it looks like that one at least doesn't understand either the term "labor costs" in manufacturing, nor the Chinese economy and cost of living structure.