New 12" MacBook boasts 80-90% faster SSD write speeds, 20% CPU improvement

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    foggyhill said:
    That... Won't happen..

iOS is an information appliance operating system and it will remain so. iPad won't run OS X, nor will it provide access to file system, and there is a long way to a "tablet Mac". Cars will not replace trucks...

Much of the architectural enhancements of x86 are certainly due also to OS X, so I wouldn't dismiss x86 in such a hurry... 
    Talk to me in two years when Intel will be dragging their ass on the ground and Apple's version of ARM essentially will have caught up with 7nm
    That has been subject of long discussions already. That just won't happen. OS X on ARM. There is a Surface failure as example. Porting OS X to ARM is Apple's job, but porting a whole ecosystem to ARM is not only Apple's job and you can't be certain of the outcome. This won't be like switching to Intel. When Apple has switched to Intel, developers and hardware manufacturers had already a large code base for x86. In contrast ARM is a newly discovered territory for those parties and you cannot know how many of them will follow you. Do not underestimate x86, they are competition and they really are.
    edited April 2016 Reasonable907
  • Reply 42 of 56
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    foggyhill said:
    Talk to me in two years when Intel will be dragging their ass on the ground and Apple's version of ARM essentially will have caught up with 7nm
    That has been subject of long discussions already. That just won't happen. OS X on ARM. There is a Surface failure as example. Porting OS X to ARM is Apple's job, but porting a whole ecosystem to ARM is not only Apple's job and you can't be certain of the outcome. This won't be like switching to Intel. When Apple has switched to Intel, developers and hardware manufacturers had already a large code base for x86. In contrast ARM is a newly discovered territory for those parties and you cannot know how many of them will follow you. Do not underestimate x86, they are competition and they really are.
    Man, for someone who actuation "discussed this" you seem to be clueless about a lot of thing.
    Most X86 apps are not high perf AT ALL (they could be emulated on a 7nm A12)

Also, look at this
    https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi-g4z-hpzMAhVGuYMKHRH4BPgQFggoMAI&url=https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9726552&usg=AFQjCNFKZ35kOhIMmp-KxkEGIL1IJ9vPeQ&sig2=nWbZWm2xOQVrYPRc54U60g&bvm=bv.119745492,d.amc

A ARM laptop would run all IOS Apps, plus all those submitted the way mentioned above (bitcode).

You do know I'm talking about something akin to this MacBook hey, not the Mac Book pro.
    Talk to me in two years; bet you lose.

The Pro level may be replaced eventually, but not within the next 3 years.
  • Reply 43 of 56

Mutton said:
    I'm considering this one, not sure though. My 2013 rMBP died 2 or 3 months ago when my 5 year old spilled orange juice all over the keyboard and I've been using only my iPhone 6S and an iPad Air since. As a long time laptop user who has never QUITE found the iPad to be a replacement, I'm kind of over it at this point and itching for a new laptop. I've always gravitated to the more pro offerings (my first Apple computer was a PowerBook G4 despite not really being a 'pro' user.

Anyway, I guess I am left considering this new MacBook. It would probably do everything I need to do, but would I be happy with it? Who can tell. Currently the base MacBook and MacBook Pros are the same price - given that I would rather buy a MBP but I am certainly not going to buy one before they are refreshed now. Of course what I should do is just keep hanging on until they do that refresh and see what the new MacBook Pros are like/priced like and then decide. But that's going to be hard!

You already resolved the problem while composing your post :-) As a rMBP user most probably you won't be happy with Retina Macbook. And you already have an iPad Air, the two are competing. Commit to rMBP, with or without refresh. A refresh on RAM and SSD is more crucial IMHO than CPU/GPU specs, so consider these at first place when buying a rMBP. A not refreshed rMBP is still preferable to a refreshed rMB... If the need for a laptop will put pressure on you to buy the rMB, then ignore the incoming refresh and buy a current rMBP, I mean...
    edited April 2016 Mutton
  • Reply 44 of 56
    foggyhill said:
    Man, for someone who actuation "discussed this" you seem to be clueless about a lot of thing.
    Most X86 apps are not high perf AT ALL (they could be emulated on a 7nm A12)

Also, look at this
    https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi-g4z-hpzMAhVGuYMKHRH4BPgQFggoMAI&url=https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9726552&usg=AFQjCNFKZ35kOhIMmp-KxkEGIL1IJ9vPeQ&sig2=nWbZWm2xOQVrYPRc54U60g&bvm=bv.119745492,d.amc

A ARM laptop would run all IOS Apps, plus all those submitted the way mentioned above (bitcode).

You do know I'm talking about something akin to this MacBook hey, not the Mac Book pro.
    Talk to me in two years; bet you lose.

The Pro level may be replaced eventually, but not within the next 3 years.
    So, Apple will build an ARM which would run Intel emulation instead of native code? Bizarre business decision that would be ...

Instead they would just buy Intel.... What? Not more bizarre than your emulation solution.

Bitcode is nothing if no one compiles to it. The computing history is full of such dead virtual machines.

I appreciate and really trust on Apple's achievements in compiler technology. These are just not enough to stand against Intel's competition.
  • Reply 45 of 56
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    It's funny how the weakest machine in the current lineup trounces my then top-of-the-line mid-2009 17" MBP on Geekbench. Progress, huh? Overdue for an upgrade, I think (as much as I love the ol' darling.)
  • Reply 46 of 56
    saldogsaldog Posts: 48member
    foggyhill said:
    The HP laptop utilizes a 13.3." 1920x1080 screen & fans to cool the CPU
    that guy says the HP one is "higher performance".
    The hp is higher performance.
    roger wadeintheory
  • Reply 47 of 56
    foggyhill said:
    That... Won't happen..

iOS is an information appliance operating system and it will remain so. iPad won't run OS X, nor will it provide access to file system, and there is a long way to a "tablet Mac". Cars will not replace trucks...
    If Intel voluntarily abandons the PC market that would be a different story...
    Reasonable907intheory
  • Reply 48 of 56
    xsmixsmi Posts: 139member
    This comparison disappointed me more than anything. I was strolling around my local Best Buy and saw this machine:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-spectre-x360-2-in-1-13-3-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i7-8gb-memory-256gb-solid-state-drive-ash-silver/4503100.p?id=1219755047947&skuId=4503100

At $1149, its going to blow the doors off of the Macbook that will cost $1550 to match it spec wise. I understand why Apple with the m-class processor. In so doing, they should've given us a better price:performance ratio.
    roger wadeintheory
  • Reply 49 of 56
    1983 said:
    The increase in SSD performance should be noticeable but the rest - CPU and graphics 20-25% I don't think will be. How come HP can release an ultralight laptop that's a few mm's thinner than the Macbook with a lot more power and Apple can't or won't...afraid to impact rMBP sales maybe?
    Sure but he HP in question has a much smaller batery life of 4-5 hours.

They both are not meant for professional video editing  anyway, so I'd personally rather more batery life than more power to run my word and excel apps.
  • Reply 50 of 56
    xsmi said:
    This comparison disappointed me more than anything. I was strolling around my local Best Buy and saw this machine:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-spectre-x360-2-in-1-13-3-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i7-8gb-memory-256gb-solid-state-drive-ash-silver/4503100.p?id=1219755047947&skuId=4503100

At $1149, its going to blow the doors off of the Macbook that will cost $1550 to match it spec wise. I understand why Apple with the m-class processor. In so doing, they should've given us a better price:performance ratio.
    The key is 4.5W vs 15W. Such a beast requires fan or it's toaster at 15 W. The Retina Macbook is fanless.
  • Reply 51 of 56
    So Leo Laporte says he's buying an HP because the MacBook only has one port. I'm sure Phil Schiller is crushed.  :D
    yawn
  • Reply 52 of 56
    I have the first gen. It depends on what you do with a Mac. The 12" MacBook is meant to be used for extreme portability. It sacrifices high CPU based work. As the CoreM CPU heats up it throttles the clock to slow it down and cool off as there is no fan. So that means it is poorly suited to video editing, conversion, 3D rendering, advanced Photoshop processing, running virtual machines, etc. . I have a Mac Pro for the heavy lifting. If you need that kind of power on the road then the 12" MacBook is not for you. Buy another Mac that suits your need. Nobody says you have to buy this model. That's why there is a range of products. 

If you run basic applications such as Office 2016, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Photos, iTunes, etc. it works very fast. The CPU only spikes for short periods of time so does not generate more heat than can be dissipated. 

For programming tasks that don't require extensive compiling or where you can compile on a remote server it works a peach. Much of what I do is over ssh in tmux where the data is actually on a *nix server. But I can do that on an iPad Pro with the Prompt app and sometimes I do exactly that.

The 12" MacBook is a breeze to travel with and its charger can be used to quick charge an iPad Pro 12.9" with USB-C to Lightning cable. So that means carrying one charger. 

The single USB-C port is frequently bashed but seriously I am not plugging stuff into it frequently enough to worry about it. I have a few dongles and rarely use them. Would have been nice to see if USB3.1 Type C Gen2 was added to the newly updated MacBook. It would double data transfer speed. Again not moving data much. I backup wirelessly to networked TimeMachine and data is backed up to Dropbox. I might plugin a USB3 disk now and then or I might connect to a monitor/TV/Projector. 

No Windows PC can be compared unless it runs Linux Desktop perfectly with full on device support. (Mac bridges the gap between Linux and Windows as many Windows apps run on Mac and ALL Linux apps run) Windows is not UNIX. I cannot run my tool chain and workflow on Windows. Yes I know Win10 has a new Linux layer w/bash and I know they are porting SQL Server to Linux. But that just means the shift to Cloud is causing a loss of developers jumping off Azure and not running Windows. The rock star web/cloud developers and DevOps are demanding Mac when hired or they will not take the job. A titanic shift is underway but it won't be noticed until we hit a highly visible tipping point. 
    sennen
  • Reply 53 of 56
    AorxAorx Posts: 1member
     I'm still waiting for Apple to release a 14 inch version of this MacBook.  I agree the 12 inch should receive a second USB C port.  Upon initial release of the MacBook a while back I was talking to the Apple sales guys and they said the most common complaint was the lack of 2nd port on the 12 inch.

Also another reason for them possibly not releasing a 14 inch, is part that they don't want to cannibalize there higher-end Mac products. bu At the same time I do feel like this MacBook built  with soldered everything to logic board has forecasted profit margins though out 
  • Reply 54 of 56
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    Still only a single USB-C of course. We have one, expecting that docks and such would be plenty soon after (within a few months). But no decent charging docks are yet out of the beta stage. Most projects suffer (or fail on) the lack of decent chips, I've been told by some of them.

Apple dropped the single USB-C on us without there being technology available to use this properly. And no, a few single-function high prices adapters from Apple themselves do not count.
    intheory
  • Reply 55 of 56
    red oak said:
    The small increase in CPU and graphic performance increases rests soley with Intel.  I bet the internal Apple semi producing the A series is beside themselves and glamoring to take over 
    Switching to A type processors would be a huge mistake. Many people run Windows on Macs and require an x86 CPU, and I'm sure a lot of software also requires an x86. The A type MB would need to be able to emulate an x86 and that would require far more horsepower than even the A9X (roughly equivalent to a circa 2007 C2D) is capable of delivering. 

The MacBook will remain a horribly overpriced netbook for the foreseeable future.
  • Reply 56 of 56

Will this thing run Bootcamp or another Windows partitioning tool?  Does it have the oomph to run Windows?  I'm curious.
    It should. I run Win 10 on Parallels on a 2011 i7 MBA. It's no speed demon, but it works fine for non CPU intensive tasks.